Bike Jacking - Sun Valley, Midrand

Omumborombonga

Hi Guys,

I know there are a lot of people who ride MTB in the Sun Valley, Beaulieu, Bridle Park parts of Midrand.

Please be careful out there. I was bike jacked on Gallop Lane this afternoon. Two guys. One with a knife the other with a gun.

Thanks to Sun Valley Security Team and the SAPS who went into Olivenhoutbosch to try and locate it using the location from Garmin Livetrack. Big shout out to my neighbour who found we walking home and gave me lift.

Sucks big time. One of the things I love about living in Sun Valley is that I have riding on my doorstep.

My frame is only 3 weeks old. 

Be safe.

Sorry about your bike jacking

The gallop and canter rd corner is n very known "hot spot" for crime

Did this happen there or closer to mane road?

Condolences!! You seem to be handling it remarkably well

Thanks. It will probably hit he later. The guy with the knife came really close to stabbing me cos he thought I still had my phone on me but this was in the camelbak they had ripped off me.

Sorry about your bike jacking

The gallop and canter rd corner is n very known "hot spot" for crime

Did this happen there or closer to mane road?

Looking at the map again I see it was actually on canter a bit down from gallop. Cop was telling me they hit the house right there badly on Thursday.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys. Heard there was another bike jacking this morning. Same place as mine happened. Don't have details yet. Be careful out there

• 2 months later...

My apologies to bringing up an old thread. 

I'm new to cycling in the Midrand/Kyalami area. Does anyone have an indication of what routes are safe? I'm looking at doing about 90mins of riding in the evenings. I live just off Allandale next to Kyalami Hills.

My apologies to bringing up an old thread.

I'm new to cycling in the Midrand/Kyalami area. Does anyone have an indication of what routes are safe? I'm looking at doing about 90mins of riding in the evenings. I live just off Allandale next to Kyalami Hills.

Go visit Anton at Summit Cycles, I know they have some routes setup around there.

I avoid the western side of the R55 Woodmead/Main road all together.

MTB:

https://www.strava.com/routes/10797971

All on gravel, sidewalk or lanes with wide shoulders. There is a lot of commuters or joggers so a high-jacking is unlikely.

Road:

Not anything I would deem safe in the afternoons due to traffic. If you can end your ride before 06h00, the suburbs of Halfway Gardens, Vorna Valley and even Rivionia are fine.

I avoid the western side of the R55 Woodmead/Main road all together.

MTB:

https://www.strava.com/routes/10797971

All on gravel, sidewalk or lanes with wide shoulders. There is a lot of commuters or joggers so a high-jacking is unlikely.

Road:

Not anything I would deem safe in the afternoons due to traffic. If you can end your ride before 06h00, the suburbs of Halfway Gardens, Vorna Valley and even Rivionia are fine.

Brilliant thanx. In all likelihood I'll probably be out by about 17h30-19h00. Will stick to the dirt next to the road, will be doing it on the MTB.

Archived