Smart indoor trainer - which one?

marie-louise

TrainerRoad, Pretty much #1 for training out there.

G

I use TrainerRoad with an Elite Direto which is also a direct drive trainer. TrainerRoad is well worth the $12 a month. HUGE amount of training programs to choose from to suite any cycling discipline.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More detail, huge amount of individual programs, and then additionally also 6 and 8 week programs compiled using the individual workouts.

Split into a Base, Build and speciality phase.

G

I use TrainerRoad with an Elite Direto which is also a direct drive trainer. TrainerRoad is well worth the $12 a month. HUGE amount of training programs to choose from to suite any cycling discipline.

This side also, Wife and myself, except we share the 1 Kickr Gen 1(each with own TrainerRoad account) . Amazing system.

G

Wife and I have each have our own kickr 3 in the house, it got so bad that I don't want to go on the road anymore.

With the direct drive system we each run training bikes on them so we don't have to swop bicycles, for me that's a huge plus. Something you need to also take into account.

I have Merida reacto 5000 with Di2 on it, the Di2 is very sweet on the trainer but I am a bit concerned about the carbon frame.

What I read online if you can go Kickr 3 and not 2.

KICKR 2 and 3 also ships with a free cassette and RPM cadence pod.

Worth a bit if you add them up.

What is the diffs between gen 1, 2 and 3.

Also, can one specify Campagnolo or Shimano cassette , 10 or 11 speed etc, or is it a take what you get kinda thing?

IIRC 3 offers Boost compatibility, and better clearanace for MTB disk brakes, and is compatible with the climb unit.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone

I see the Tacx Flow is on special at CWC

Does anyone know the difference between the Flow and the Satori?

Which one makes less sound?

Also, can one specify Campagnolo or Shimano cassette , 10 or 11 speed etc, or is it a take what you get kinda thing?

Hello Harry, 

The KICKR ships with a 11spd Cassette that will work with Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo.

The only catch with Campagnolo is that if you have a 10 speed campy, you will need a Wahoo/Campagnolo freehub body and a Campy cassette fitted. Wahoo calls the KICKR Campagnolo 11 speed ready. 

You can change the cassette it ships with to a ratio/brand of your liking. The freehub it ships with gives you the option on both SRAM/SHIMANO/SUNRACE. 

Gen 1 vs 2

Gen 2 has:

- a significant noise reduction

- LED Indicators showing ANT+/BTLE connections

- Easy carry handle

Gen 3:

- All of the above

- Boost compatibility

- uses the trough axle of the bike, not an adaptor as the Gen 2

- KICKR Climb compatible. 

With regards to inertia, accuracy and bulletproofness, all three KICKRs are worth getting yours hands on. Our support team supports all versions going back 5 years and keep all parts, so you are covered. 

Hi everyone

I see the Tacx Flow is on special at CWC

Does anyone know the difference between the Flow and the Satori?

Which one makes less sound?

The Satori is not software-controlled, you set it's resistance manually.

The Flow can be controlled by Zwift, Rouvy, etc.

• 1 month later...

Guys!

Planning to get myself a KICKR indoor trainer

What training software would you recommend?

Cycleops / TrainerRoad or Zwift?

Would like to follow training programs

Wahoo Kickr

Wahoo RPM Cadence Pod

Wahoo Tickr HR Strap

TrainerRoad

iPad (You'll use BTLE), you can also use a new Generation Samsung phone or pad, they have build in BTLE and ANT+

G

BTLE = Blue Tooth...

Guys!

Guys!

Personally I'm a ZWIFTER... 

Then again, I'm also a fun rider looking to pack in an extra ride or two during the week. 

With 3 kids TV games is kinda frowned upon, so ZWIFT is the best excuse to game and ride at the same time. 

I just find it cool. 

By the way, the best visual option I use is an Apple TV 4'th gen. Works like a charm. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm how many devices can be connected via Ant+?

Im doing some indoor training and use TrainerRoad , wahoo kickr / HR Strap and cadence sensors connect via Ant+ to trainerroad.....I also have my Garmin 820 connect to them all and it still work.....only reason why im asking is because i was told you cant or musnt connect so many device at once?

I tought you will only have a problem when bluetooth connect to multipe devices

Riaan

If you have the Wahoo HR strap then that will connect via BTLE to your Garmin (as your computer does not support the right version) and ANT+ to the Dongle connected on your computer,

Likewise for the Wahoo RPM Cadence Pod

(and your speed sensor is already connecting to your Garmin)

Now you will have data flowing to the Garmin via one protocol and to the computer/TrainerRoad via a 2nd protocol.

IF your computer supported the BTLE required then I would have said do all connections to it via BTLE and to the Garmin via ANT+

Problem at the moment is the BTLE supported, or not supported by your computer and then the HR strap that is only ANT+ capable (Garmin HR straps only does ANT+)

G

Can anyone confirm how many devices can be connected via Ant+?

Im doing some indoor training and use TrainerRoad , wahoo kickr / HR Strap and cadence sensors connect via Ant+ to trainerroad.....I also have my Garmin 820 connect to them all and it still work.....only reason why im asking is because i was told you cant or musnt connect so many device at once?

I tought you will only have a problem when bluetooth connect to multipe devices

I've tested it yesterday, KICKR connected to laptop via ANT+ and Garmin picked up everything via ANT+ .....did have any issues

I saw, you did TAKU.

ANT+ will work easily as you're using the ANT+ dongle.

The ANT+ standard allow a source device to only connect to a single receiver.

so the ANT HR strap will only connect to Dongle, not Dongle and Garmin.

Similar for the other source devices.

If you want to send the data to 2 devices, aka computer and Garmin then the source need to talk BTLE to one and ANT+ to the other.

G

I've tested it yesterday, KICKR connected to laptop via ANT+ and Garmin picked up everything via ANT+ .....did have any issues

I saw, you did TAKU.

ANT+ will work easily as you're using the ANT+ dongle.

The ANT+ standard allow a source device to only connect to a single receiver.

so the ANT HR strap will only connect to Dongle, not Dongle and Garmin.

Similar for the other source devices.

If you want to send the data to 2 devices, aka computer and Garmin then the source need to talk BTLE to one and ANT+ to the other.

G

I believe ANT+ devices can be read by any number of devices.

For example, you get devices that spectators could potentially use next to the road, that would pick up the HR or power sensors as riders go past.

Bluetooth devices can only connect to one device though, while paired.

My Lezyne Super GPS loves dropping connection to all my sensors and phone - because of the above feature of ANT+, pairing again to my own devices if near other riders is a lottery as multiple HRMs are listed, for example, even though clearly in use by the respective other riders.

Archived