Wide Lightning or Flow?

SeanGrey

Hey Guys, 

Saving up to upgrade my giant trance 2016 wheels to either of the above. (650b)

I'm 81kg fully kitted. Want to ride Enduro style events and DH lines in Tokai as well as XC stuff. 

The flow mk3 or the Wide Lightnings? 29/30 internal. Know about the hub engagement but compared to my ones now it will still be an improvement. Will the WL stand up to daily riding, Enduro events, Rocks? 

Thanks 

Cheers for the reply that's what I was wondering. Do the odd marathon for fun on the bike so lighter is great for that. Just never seen or known anyone with a set before.

I have WLs on my hardtail. Rims get dents quite easily.

Imo not a great rim for rocky trails.

Fantastic wheels for marathon and smoother trails like Sabie.

Ok awesome thanks then I suppose they won't last too long smashing down rocky stuff on the FS

have a look at the spank 345's as well. They are 31mm ID, strong, not heavy and build up into an awesome wheel.

The Easton ARC 30 are also good rims. Stans and American Classic are not your only options.

I have a set of the Spanks laced onto some CK hubs in 29 and some WTB 29mm Asym rims in 650b... Both are epic

have a look at the spank 345's as well. They are 31mm ID, strong, not heavy and build up into an awesome wheel.

The Easton ARC 30 are also good rims. Stans and American Classic are not your only options.

I have a set of the Spanks laced onto some CK hubs in 29 and some WTB 29mm Asym rims in 650b... Both are epic

ok awesome thanks! will most def add those to my list and have a look at them 

Definitely flow. Wide lightning rims are about R3200 each if you need to replace them, and I assume you're looking at Hope Hubs with the Flow MK3, which is simply bomb proof. Don't think you'll notice the engagement really, particularly not on descends.

I've got the Spanks on my 29'r and they are great rims and have just had a set of Easton Arc 30's built up on my 650b and took them for their first spin today in Tokai and was seriously impressed. 

The Arcs are laced onto some Shimano hubs I had which are average at best but I'll be sizing up some nice American Classic or Hope hubs to go with them pretty soon. 

Chain Reaction have them on special @ R722 a pop for the 30mm internals.... which is a massive bargain. 

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/easton-arc-mtb-rim/rp-prod136865

Yea looking at the hope hubs, mine are the stock ones and engagement is shocking. Do lots of slow technical uphills and wouldn't mind better engagement for sure! Awesome will look at those spanks and arc30s too cheers