High-End Previous Gen or Low-End/Mid-Range Current Gen?

FrikkieMeyer87

High-End Previous Gen or Low-End Current Gen?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. If you could have either for free, which would you choose?

• High-End Previous Gen
    • Low-End Current Gen

how new is new ?

Putting old parts on a "new" bike surely voids the warantee ?

Why?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an example:

Option A: Shimano BR/BL-M395 (Acera Hydraulic Brake)

VS

Option B: Shimano BR/BL-M585 (Deore LX Hydraulic Brakes)

If this is a true representation I would go with the newer lower spec parts.

This is purely from a maintenance point of view as your current higher spec parts are over 10 years old and Shimano only produce parts for 6 years. So if anything goes wrong you going to be replacing complete brake sets etc.

If this is a true representation I would go with the newer lower spec parts.

This is purely from a maintenance point of view as your current higher spec parts are over 10 years old and Shimano only produce parts for 6 years. So if anything goes wrong you going to be replacing complete brake sets etc.

You see, this is exactly why I asked the question. Thanks a million!

Granted I should have added the model numbers from the get go, but you get the idea. That's one of the components in question, the other being the shifters. My LX shifters are aestetically brand new and super sturdy alloy parts, so I definitely want to keep them over the Alivio shifters that's currently on there, but then I might as well keep the brakes as well as the LX parts all look the same and blend nicely together. I hate having flipping 50 different types of components. I just want everything to be the same level, but that's going to take some doing. Once day I'll convert to 1x11 and get matching XT stuff or something, but for now, the LX/SLX combination will have to do the trick.

Disclaimer: When I say "new" bike, I mean new to my garage, not new from the shop. While everyone would of course love to go out and buy new bikes off the shelf every 2 years, someone has to scoop up the secondhand ones or there'll be a ever-growing pile of discarded, out of warranty bikes in a field somewhere. That's where I come in :)

Based on what has been discussed and what you have said... old components are OLD (more than 2 years)... so I would just keep with the new components and not even consider swapping some out.... just ride and upgrade as wear and tear dictates

Based on what has been discussed and what you have said... old components are OLD (more than 2 years)... so I would just keep with the new components and not even consider swapping some out.... just ride and upgrade as wear and tear dictates

By that reasoning, the whole bike is old. It's a 2014, so everything on it will be "old" <=2014 parts. Short of buying a brand new bike every 2 years, it stands to reason that the majority of the bikes you see out on the roads will all be running old parts, i.e. older than 2 years. Granted, in this case it's old-old, 5+ years at least. The reality however is that the old parts perform better in my experience, which is why I was considering keeping them in the first place.

I had that problem a couple years ago... "upgrade" from old components (DA-7800) to new components (Ultegra 6800). Eventually the n+1 virus bit, and ended up getting a complete new bike with full 105 groupset (2015). Love being able to choose between 2 bikes and 4 wheelsets.

A similar fate awaits me soon... n+1 is biting again. 3x9 on 26" wheels will stay, and currently doing some window (oo-ahh) shopping...

oo, that's nice - aah, look at the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shimano has a tendency to do only develop new stuff on the High End side.

For excample the Durace Di2 was released and only the DA had Electronic.the next year they re-did the DA Di2 grouppo and the previous year became Ultegra and so on.

So if you ride XT this year, it will be SLX next year.

I wonder if there's any method in the madness that is the numbering of Shimano part numbers. At first I was hoping that it was like nVidia GPU's, with the first digit indigating the generation, the second digit indicating the ranking within that generation and the third being a part version within that ranking, but I cannot find any reference indicating if that's the case or not? Does anyone know?

I wonder if there's any method in the madness that is the numbering of Shimano part numbers. At first I was hoping that it was like nVidia GPU's, with the first digit indigating the generation, the second digit indicating the ranking within that generation and the third being a part version within that ranking, but I cannot find any reference indicating if that's the case or not? Does anyone know?

Not sure how do they get their numbers, but their ranking works something like this

XTR Di2

XT Di2

XTR

XT

SLX

LX (No Longer 0

Deoroe

Alivio

Acera

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

This is what I came to this thread to see.

This is the previous Gen high tech: (new kit coming Nov, will be high tech as well) :)

905b36ae32b9bff8b9066191ef615e3c.jpg

:w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  You sir are a gentleman, and a scholar. How on earth is that not a pinned thread?! Thank you kindly!

Just keep in mind that all the new 11 speed part numbers are now 4 digits and have all jumped one number higher on the starting digit.

XTR: 9000

XT:    8000

SLX: 7000

Current Gen Deore 10 speed now starts with a 6 instead of a 5 as they sort of ran out of numbers after 596.

"old" is very relative ....

Some 6 month old bikes have had a harder life than some 6 year old bikes ..... If the condition is right the years dont matter too much.

ENJOY your ride(s) !!

Yeah I see that despite the relatively balanced feedback in the posts, the poll definitely weighs towards older high-end trumping newer low-end, within limits of course and depending on the range.

I dropped both bikes off at the LBS and whilst pointing at the Scott said "Put all the good stuff on *this* one". Then I left. I trust their judgement :D

Yeah I see that despite the relatively balanced feedback in the posts, the poll definitely weighs towards older high-end trumping newer low-end, within limits of course and depending on the range.

I dropped both bikes off at the LBS and whilst pointing at the Scott said "Put all the good stuff on *this* one". Then I left. I trust their judgement :D

You'll most probably recieve a quote of approxamately 30k.

"Well, you said all the good stuff, so you've now got an eagle groupset"...

Archived