MTB Tubeles Conversion

N1ch0las

Hello Everyone.

We in JHB.

So me and my squeeze got new MTB's (29" and 27.5"). The salesman said 1st thing I should do is convert to tubeless, but I thought to myself agh I will just repair the punctures as I go.

1ST ride and 3 punctures later and I realised he is very wise.

So Im getting myself and my squeeze the following:

• a pair of tubeless tires for the bikes(2 - 29x2.2 and 2 - 27.5x2.2)
  • 2x conversion kit (sealant, tape, valves)
  • CO2 inflater head
  • 4x 25g co2 cartridges
  • gauge pump (small handheld)

If I'm missing anything or need to change something please let me know?

Labour is a bit expensive, so thought I would do it myself.

Any1 have good guides that they tried themselves?

Are there tools I need to do this?

Note: I am very new so I won't know any abbreviations. Also, I did check the rims, they do support tubeless.

I appreciate any wisdom of the Bikehub community, Thanks in advance :)

Edited by 5w1ft

You'll need a high volume pump to inflate the tyres fast enough so the bead can seat. You're not supposed to use a CO2 bomb for that as the gas isn't good for the sealant. I've used bombs in the past with no hassles though, just deflate the tyre an hour afterwards and refill with a normal pump.

Rather get a floor pump as it is more acurate, less effort and has a gauge so you can find the right pressure for your weight/terrain/style and set it accordingly before you go out.

Floor pump will also help seat the tubeless tyres. You and your squeeze are gonna pomp forever with the hand pump and the tyres will just stay limp.... :D

No need for a hand pump if you have C02 canisters while out on a ride! 

Search youtube for vids as there are hundreds but if you get stuck I am sure your LBS will do it for a small fee...or find a hubber close buy with the skills and by him a beer or three.

Edited by Mr lee

What kind of riding are you doing?

Which tyres did you get or planning to get and how much are you paying for them?

It is easy to do, buy gorilla tape for rim tape. Works better, clean the rim first if it has already been taped. You can get away with just over one revolution of gorilla tape. Don't use insulation tape (unless a short term emergency fix).

I use the cheapest sealant, which is Tyre Juice, about R100 for 500 ml, you need 100 to 150 ml per tire. Sealant only seals small holes, i.e. thorns, which is 90 % of punctures. Big holes you still need to plug.

Cut a small cross before you push the valve through the rim tape. Don't force a hole with the valve through the rim tape.

New tires can be hard to seat on the rim, you will need a compressor and also try leaving the tire overnight on the rim with a tube inside it. This helps the tire to adopt the shape needed once you try to mount without a tube. If you seat the tire with a CO2 bomb, then over the next few days remove the CO2 by slightly deflating and pumping again. There are some that say the CO2 reacts with the sealant and wrecks the sealant.

Biggest mistake I have seen people make is to use non tubeless tires and try make it tubeless. It will always leak air and sealant. The tire must say tubeless or tubeless ready.

Edited by Martin PJ

Looks like you've got all you need, except some tire levers. It's best to wrangle the tyre onto the rim with your hands once you've placed the rim tape, as you could damage the tape with the lever. 

As to how to do the installation, watch a few vids on YouTube. Plan your work and be methodical. 

My pro-tip is when installing the rim tape (especially Stan's) don't stick the tape, but stretch and lay the tape down on to the rim. Pull it nice and tight and overlap at the valve hole. 

Good luck!

What kind of riding are you doing?

Which tyres did you get or planning to get and how much are you paying for them?

2x VITTORIA GATO 29ER TNT TUBELESS TYRE 2x VITTORIA GATO 27.5 TNT TUBELESS TYRE

All 4 tyres for R1400

Like I said I'm still new, but would be general riding nothing hectic at the moment

Edited by 5w1ft

Buy a valve adaptor(they dirt cheap) and very useful.

Set up the tape and valves and put the tyres on the rims leaving a small section of the bead on one side off the rim. 

Go to the petrol station when it is quiet and then just quickly add the sealant in where you left the bead off the rim, pop that section of bead onto the rim and use the compressor and valve adapter to inflate the tyre and get the bead seated on the rim properly. The petrol station compressors are better than doing it with a C02 cannister and it is free. 

Also my advice is wait till just before you next plan on cycling to do the initial inflation, leave the pressure slightly higher and then take it immediately and go cycle, it will circulate the sealant around the rim straight away and help it all seal up nicely.

2x VITTORIA GATO 29ER TNT TUBELESS TYRE 2x VITTORIA GATO 27.5 TNT TUBELESS TYRE

All 4 tyres for R1400

Like I said I'm still new, but would be general riding nothing hectic at the moment

Do you have the tyres already?

I just noticed now when I was looking at the tyres.

I see there is tubeless and tubeless ready.
What is the difference?

I just noticed now when I was looking at the tyres.

I see there is tubeless and tubeless ready.

What is the difference?

Tubeless is basically thicker and heavier, both work. With tubeless ready you may need more sealant.

Not yet, next day or 2, they on special

I assume you are ordering from CWC then....

If you have not ordered as yet then I would strongly advise against the Gato,especially for the rear!

If you are dead set on Vittoria then rather go for the Saguaro or even Barzo. The Saguaro would be the better one as it has a lower rolling resistance.

Or even the Maxxis crossmark rear and Ardent front combo...Ikon rear and Ardent front would also be fine.

Don't buy a tyre just becuase it is the cheapest option. Do a little research first! It can make or break your riding experience!

Edited by Mr lee