Newbie: Need some tyre Advice

Hi Guys,

My name is warren and I have been on the forum a lot longer than I had a bike. Let me confess from the outset, Im a newbie :) Ive just purchased my first HT Silverback Sola 1 and Im loving getting out onto the trails. The first thing I did before riding any trails was convert my tyres to tubeless, specifically Vittoria Barzo in front and Sugardo (Think thats how you spell it) in the rear.

Its been fantastic until Sunday past.

Went away for the weekend and woke up to a flat tyre. Ran the sealant over the area which seamed to fix the leak. The weird thing is that the leak was coming from a group of tiny blisters in the sidewall. I proceeded to ride the Wolwefontein trail and all was fine.

Question is:

Do I buy a new tyre and if so what do I get? I just want something with decent grip and decent puncture resistance. Doing my first 27km race in Piket-bo-berg on 9 September so dont want to chance anything.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

regards

Warren

If they eventually settled it should be fine. It is normal for some tires to loose a bit of air in the first day or two after converting. Especially if it is a "tubeless ready" tire and not a proper UST tire.

Post some pics and let us know what sealant you used. 

No need to stress out. Those tyres are good. I suspect they are tubeless ready hence the seepage through the sidewalls. You're more than set to go for a 27km race.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It is not uncommon to see sealant seep through the sidewalls. In fact, I'd guess that people who ride Conti's expect their tyres to seep sealant just as old Mini Clubman's leaked their oil.

Good choice in tyres, nothing wrong with your choice.

No reply from Myles? Is he sick?

He may still be sleeping?

As for the OP, seeping through the sidewall is a common thing for new tires, especially if it is tubeless ready. Keep the tire pressure up and try ride the bike on a daily basis, it just missed you :whistling: . If you can't ride often I find that giving the tires a spin helps the seeping sort itself out within the first few days.

Thank you guys for all the amazing feedback. My paranoid brain kicked in looking for tyre specials on the web  :wacko: Its been fine since I ran some sealant over the area on Sat. It was just the tiny blisters that worried me. Anyways, here is to more cycling :)

Can wait for the weekend! Doing Majik Forest and Meerendal.

Have a great week guys and thank you again!

Thank you guys for all the amazing feedback. My paranoid brain kicked in looking for tyre specials on the web  :wacko: Its been fine since I ran some sealant over the area on Sat. It was just the tiny blisters that worried me. Anyways, here is to more cycling :)

Good luck. If you have a Saguaro and Barzo on, you should be fine. Fantastic tyres. Have thousands of km's on those without any issues.

Their sidewalls are quite tough, so interesting that yours had to seal first. In my experience, their sidewalls are normally fine!

Some tyres don't like tyre sealant and it damages the rubber. It is rare with tyres from the last couple of years however. Your tyres could also be the cheaper version of those models which are often better suited to running with tubes due to the thinner sidewalls. 

I don't quite understand what you mean by "Its been fine since I ran some sealant over the area"?

How much sealant do you actually have inside the tyres? 

Hi Guys,

I bought the tyres about a month ago. Took it to be fitted to the rims with tubeless conversion at Olympic Cycles. No issues for a month. Woke up Sat, tyre was flat. Inflated it and found air coming out of tiny blisters (only way I can describe it) on the side wall. Spun the wheel around so that sealant inside the tyre washed over the area. That sealed it. All good now.

Was just wondering if I should get a new tyre due to the race I am doing.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I bought the tyres about a month ago. Took it to be fitted to the rims with tubeless conversion at Olympic Cycles. No issues for a month. Woke up Sat, tyre was flat. Inflated it and found air coming out of tiny blisters (only way I can describe it) on the side wall. Spun the wheel around so that sealant inside the tyre washed over the area. That sealed it. All good now.

Was just wondering if I should get a new tyre due to the race I am doing.

Thanks

You've got memory issues, boet?

You've got memory issues, boet?

Maybe he thinks we have memory issues? 

What was this thread about again? 

Archived