Attempted bike jacking Tiekie Draai

jmgerber

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is concerning, as I ride there often myself. I pray they stay off the Tygerberg MTB trails in that area.

My concern also. A friend and myself did discuss it this morning.

My concern also. A friend and myself did discuss it this morning.

Wasn't there an incident last year already?

Its obviously a real risk, that said the remoteness of much of the trail makes it risky for the thieves as well - difficult to get away quickly and hard to explain why you are hanging around there to passers by..

Think it is more likely that they will stick to the main roads close to the informal settlements, enough easy targets there...

Wasn't there an incident last year already?

Its obviously a real risk, that said the remoteness of much of the trail makes it risky for the thieves as well - difficult to get away quickly and hard to explain why you are hanging around there to passers by..

Think it is more likely that they will stick to the main roads close to the informal settlements, enough easy targets there...

Yes, there was.

With the proximity of main roads, and with most trails being in or close to vineyards, it is easy to hide away before and after the fact, and then just slip away unnoticed.

Let's just hope it does not come to this.

Yes, there was.

With the proximity of main roads, and with most trails being in or close to vineyards, it is easy to hide away before and after the fact, and then just slip away unnoticed.

Let's just hope it does not come to this.

Can you elaborate a bit Wannabe? I was out of action last year, so missed much in terms of the trail network news, and I usually ride there alone.

What, where, when etc.

Robbie, my memory fails me now, but if I recall it correctly, it involved a piece of wire strung across the trail.

I just know for fact that there was at least one (isolated) incident.

Will use my limited search skills to try and find the thread it was discussed in.

Can you elaborate a bit Wannabe? I was out of action last year, so missed much in terms of the trail network news, and I usually ride there alone.

What, where, when etc.

I can recall two incidents on the upper Bloemendaler one where they picked the wrong cyclist and came off second best, and another where five cyclists found an obvious trap set up.

It seems from what info there is that both attacks in this area took place in the early hours of the morning when it is still dark??

Incidents such as these need to be made public for the cycling community, but it would help if the reports are more specific, i.e. time and more detailed description of exact place. 

Last week's incident happened just before 8 am, so it wasn't dark. The lady involved is a friend of mine and asked that I post this here:

"The spot where my attack took place was just after Richwood ( heading towards Durbanville). 

There is a new road on the left and he attacked me 100 meters up from the road. And then proceeded to cycle down the new road . 
It was in peak hour traffic and both lanes were full of traffic , it was very busy !"
Edited by HenryS

Somewhere here? Very close to Du Noon...

More or less . It's in the space between your circle and Richwood

If driving in the durbanville direction, at the end of Richwood there is a new road to the left. New road leads to some new housing development

Edited by Twaatie

Last week's incident happened just before 8 am, so it wasn't dark. The lady involved is a friend of mine and asked that I post this here:

"The spot where my attack took place was just after Richwood ( heading towards Durbanville). 

There is a new road on the left and he attacked me 100 meters up from the road. And then proceeded to cycle down the new road . 
It was in peak hour traffic and both lanes were full of traffic , it was very busy !"

Thanks for the location info, we rode down that road several months ago just to see what was happening in the area, and did not feel comfortable in the area. Too many bushes and too direct a line to the N7 and Dunoon. The road has been opened recently and land sales are advertised for a new development. Also large construction camp just before the Barrel Pub turnoff.

http://bitsandpcs.co.za/images/attackarea.png

If that road hadn't been opened recently, the bakkie would not have been able to get in to knock the thief off the bike.