Cross chaining

WaynejG

I have a 2x10 setup on my Anthem. If I am on my smallest chainring how far down the cassette must I be in my gears for cross chaining to become a problem?

Same for when I am on the bigger chainring how far up on the cassette for cross chaining to occur?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Conventional wisdom says that when on the smallest front chainring the smallest two rear gears shouldn't be ridden. When on the front largest, the largest two shouldn't be ridden.

To be honest, with 10 and 11 speed chains and how narrow and flexible they are, cross chaining has been admitted to be a non issue, by manufacturers themselves. I've just found it to be a bit groggy when trying to change when in the extremes, ie, big/big and then trying to get the front down to a smaller ring, you might drop the chain, even with a well set derailer. Same on the other end. It's almost like the gears pull the chainline a little too far while its shifting.

In the age of 1x I wonder if this is still an issue?

It is indeed.

On a 1x11 you should not use the top or bottom four sprockets on the cassette to avoid cross chaining.

It is indeed.

On a 1x11 you should not use the top or bottom four sprockets on the cassette to avoid cross chaining.

:w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :P  :lol:  Yes just stay in the middle and you will be fine  :P  :D

I have a 2x10 setup on my Anthem. If I am on my smallest chainring how far down the cassette must I be in my gears for cross chaining to become a problem?

Same for when I am on the bigger chainring how far up on the cassette for cross chaining to occur?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

When I ran 2x10 I was mostly in the big chainring and used the full range of cassette gears. I only ever dropped down to the smaller chainring on really steep inclines or if I was buggered :blink: 

My chain did not show any excessive wear due to this at all!

But like was said already this seems to be a thing of the past...possibly more of a problem on 3x9 due to the greater extremes and thicker/wider chains... I could be wrong though  :whistling:

Archived