Valve Core Removal

TwiggzSA

Hello All,

I need to top up the sealant on my MTB but don't have a compressor to reseat the tyre to the rim. Can I do the topup through the value and if so what's the best way to remove the core?

Where can I get a core remover if it's needed? Or can I just finger unscrew the core?

Thanks for the help!

Hello All,

I need to top up the sealant on my MTB but don't have a compressor to reseat the tyre to the rim. Can I do the topup through the value and if so what's the best way to remove the core?

Where can I get a core remover if it's needed? Or can I just finger unscrew the core?

Thanks for the help!

You can get the whole kit at Sportsmans for R220

Hello All,

Thanks for the help!

All depends on the type of core. Mine tightens with a leatherman, so no other tools needed. Then just op up the sealant with a syringe through the valve. 

As long as you keep the tyre off the ground when you remove the core or deflate then you won't need a compressor to inflate as the bead will more than likely be stuck in place due to the dry sealant.

Depending on how many times you have topped up, it would be best to remove the tyre and clean out the old and dried sealant. I have heard some stories where bike mechs have found half a KG of dried sealant in tyres before  :lol:

Most LBS's sell a core removal tool made from hardened plastic. Easy to use and cheap to buy, like R20-50.

Remove and do as mentioned above.

BTW I only use a foot pump to pump up my tyres with no issues. I unseat the tire in a small section on one side of the rim large enough to refill with Stans and then just pump back up. No need to unscrew valves.

Best tool for removing the core is a 4.3 mm spoke spanner (some Shimano wheel nipples use this size).  To inject the sealant a basting syringe (Prochef make a good one - got mine from Checkers Hyper for under R50) has a good sized needle which you can cut to length and away you go. They also make the best grease guns for a bike!

Get one of these....no need for a compressor again!

http://cyclelab.com/images/detailed/5/b2fbe14419acae83b0e7dbe03b34f3f1.jpg

Remove core by using a set of pliers, most cores have flat sides on 2 sides.

Get a syringe medium size from the pharmacy, remove plunger and screw into valve, with valve at bottom of wheel, 

Use it as a funnel to pour stans in and use the measure on the side to syringe to gauge how much.  Stans should run into valve, if stops, use the syringe plunger to squeeze into valve.

Remove syringe, re-insert core and pump normally with foot pump.  5 minute job, no mess, no fuss!!

Thanks for all the useful advice!

Spoke to my LBS for a valve core remover, said no such thing exists, won't be using them again.

Changing LBS and will take all the advice as above.

Google for images of Valve Core Removal Tool.

Parktool makes a very nifty one out of aluminium. Bit expensive for what it is, but you only need to buy it once.

Thanks for all the useful advice!

Spoke to my LBS for a valve core remover, said no such thing exists, won't be using them again.

Changing LBS and will take all the advice as above.

your LBS doesn't have one of these laying around??

http://www.wistio.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/valve-core-removal-tool-presta-600x500.jpg

:eek:

they shouldn't even feel the need to charge you for it.

i'll give you one if we meet up.I think there's one laying in my car for just in case.

Archived