They stole my bikes

matthewc

I had 4 bikes stolen from my garage on Thursday night.

My two bikes

A Saeco team Cannondale 6-13. FSA crank and Campag drive.

A bright Yellow Cannondale Scalpel 1000 with Magura brakes and XTR drive train.

My wifes Specialized stumpjumper. 13" frame the give away.

My sons Giant MTX (I think). He cried when he found out as this means no more rides in the forest until I either persuade insurance to pay out or I save enough to reinvest in bikes again.

Any body spot any of these please drop me a line.

Sadly walking

Matthew

That is bad. Hope some hubber can spot one or all of them on the road! Also contact your LBS. The 2 Dales won't be sold to Cash Converters but the other 2 might find there way to a pawn shop or simular.

Good luck - hope you find them!

sucks. what suburb if i may ask? i see now WC.

hope you had insurance!!

davidd2008-05-26 11:10:37

what town do you live in? I'll be sure to keep an eye open if it's in stellenbosch!!! I had a bike stolen from the garage and the insurance paid out in full because it was stolen from the house.

I got my bike back though, and the insurance paid out!!

Sorry meaant to say

Im in Muizenberg. I was away on business, my wife got woken at 10:30 pm by a neighbour who saw my toolbox in the road and my garage open. My bikes were itemised the other two not.

The Saeco's hard to replace though.

I know of a friend of mine who has also been robbed in Muizenberg a couple of times recently.. also bicycles.. Apparently there is a gang doing this.

Its not nice to have something stolen but a least you werent harmed.

Its funny how these bikes almost never resurface in SA but go to Mozambique or Zimbabwe(Vic falls) and look at the bikes that are being riden there.

It's been mentioned a few times on the Hub to establish some sort of register of stolen bikes where all those affected can register their loss and bike shops can do a quick check. Perhaps admin can explore this further ?

On the matter of stolen bikes being used in races, and this is just an idea; Perhaps it's possible, at the cost of one, to hide a registered timing chip [ie CC or WT] in/on a bike and see if it's used in races. Perhaps it's also possible to enlist the help of these timing company's to come up with a suitable product for tracking stolen bikes at races. An distinct audible alert if the bike goes over a finish line would do ! Just an idea.

The Saeco's hard to replace though.

System Six is the way to go, absolutely!!!

Have/had a couple of Saeco Six13's and the System Six is just sooo much better in all respects

It's been mentioned a few times on the Hub to establish some sort of register of stolen bikes where all those affected can register their loss and bike shops can do a quick check. Perhaps admin can explore this further ?

great idea' date=' but shouldn't that be bigger than the end. maybe some enterprising it person out there could launch a site like this?

On the matter of stolen bikes being used in races, and this is just an idea; Perhaps it's possible, at the cost of one, to hide a registered timing chip [ie CC or WT] in/on a bike and see if it's used in races. Perhaps it's also possible to enlist the help of these timing company's to come up with a suitable product for tracking stolen bikes at races. An distinct audible alert if the bike goes over a finish line would do ! Just an idea.

i thought about importing a concept from the uk years ago. i read about it in mbuk. if memory serves, it was an almost-impossible-to-remove chip, which could be read by bike shops and cop stations. i thought at the time: ok, the bike shops may be keen (or not, it could also cut down their salesWink), but can you imagine the cops being interested? it wouldn't be long before they broke/lost/stole/transferred the scanning deviceShockeddon't know what came of the uk project, and stuffed if i can remember what the product was called.   

oh, and matthewc, i know how badly kids take their bikes being stolen. i remember how upset my eldest got when his gt bmx got stolen. he rode his first proper mtb race on it, skinny race tyres and all. they now ride the mtx 250s. shame you gotta try sort the little dude out now, if you can.   

i had my c50 stolen out the house + insurance wouldnt even listen to my story

That is very BAD. To have one bike stolen is a nightmare, but 4 !!! I really feel for you, good luck find them.

My running total of stolen bikes to date, 7. That's SA for you, theft is a form of tax. I think the gov calls it redistribution of wealth