Would you buy this?

bologniusmaximus

That's pretty cheap for a decently specced bike. If that is the new 35mm revelation, then go for it. If it's the 32mm version, I would keep looking. Also 69° HA sounds a bit steeper than most bikes in its class. Can't comment on those wheels, but they're nice and wide. My OCD can't handle mixing a RS fork with a Fox shock, and mixing Sram drivetrain with Shimano brakes. But hey, if it doesn't bother you then go for it. At least the GX shifter goes on an adapter directly onto the I-spec brake lever.

Confirmed this bike has the newer 34mm diameter suspension.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could you help me understand why the 30t chainring is stupid?

Okay, without going into too much detail on crank RPM, gear ratios & outer tyre diameter...

With 30T ring and in the 50t at the back, it would be very very easy to pedal uphill. On the other end of the cassette in the 10t, you will spin out at about 35km/h. If you only ride single track, then this most likely won't be a problem, but on flatter fire roads etc. it will be annoying.

Also, you will use the smaller cogs of the cassette a lot more, which means that your cassette will wear out quicker, causing your whole drivetrain to wear out quicker.

Now if you are running a cassette with a largest cog of 42t(10 or 11 speed), plus you ride in a hilly area, plus you have weak legs, then a 30T ring will be good. But with Eagles 50t at the back, you can upsize that front ring by 2-4 teeth, keeping the same ratio granny gear and giving you way more top end gears.

Okay, without going into too much detail on crank RPM, gear ratios & outer tyre diameter...

With 30T ring and in the 50t at the back, it would be very very easy to pedal uphill. On the other end of the cassette in the 10t, you will spin out at about 35km/h. If you only ride single track, then this most likely won't be a problem, but on flatter fire roads etc. it will be annoying.

Also, you will use the smaller cogs of the cassette a lot more, which means that your cassette will wear out quicker, causing your whole drivetrain to wear out quicker.

Now if you are running a cassette with a largest cog of 42t(10 or 11 speed), plus you ride in a hilly area, plus you have weak legs, then a 30T ring will be good. But with Eagles 50t at the back, you can upsize that front ring by 2-4 teeth, keeping the same ratio granny gear and giving you way more top end gears.

Okay I gotcha. I will def consider doing this. Thanks for explaining that.

I have an older model (2012/2013), and it's a brilliant bike!! I changed a few parts on the cockpit and will be doing a 1x setup when funds allow, but a very capable bike indeed!!

Having said the above, for the money I would rather go for the Pyga in the classifieds. It's just loads sexier than a Merida.

Btw Giant is having some great specials right now

The only problem is that Giant don't make a 29er worth more than 90/100mm suspension.

I think you are going to be hard pressed to beat that price on a 2018 model with that spec (I stand to correction of course).If your heart is set on a 29er (trail orientated suspension) and the money is right, then pull the trigger. Bottom line; you will ALWAYS find something better if you look long enough and hard enough but that's just life.

As for Merida being "boring". . .I double-dare you to let that be a factor you when you're bombing down your favourite singletrack at full chatter with a dumb smile on your face.

I think you are going to be hard pressed to beat that price on a 2018 model with that spec (I stand to correction of course).If your heart is set on a 29er (trail orientated suspension) and the money is right, then pull the trigger. Bottom line; you will ALWAYS find something better if you look long enough and hard enough but that's just life.

As for Merida being "boring". . .I double-dare you to let that be a factor you when you're bombing down your favourite singletrack at full chatter with a dumb smile on your face.

People say the same about trek.

But yeah, I keep coming back to this bike, it's got what I want. And looking at the bike you can't call that boring. I guess maybe I stand to be corrected as well.

The closest alternative that I have seen is the Silverback Surface. But that bike is mostly just speculation for now.

If we're honest, a bicycle is pretty much the sum of its parts and in that regard this is a solid choice:

2018 Revelation

GX Eagle - slightly heavier version of the X01 Eagle. Say no more. 

SLX Brakes (M7000) are damned good! 

2018 Fox Performance Float. I've only ridden that in 90mm travel guise earlier this year (on board the 2018 Anthem 29er in the Eston Classic) but hell its Fox, isn't suspension their thing?

I think the wheels are spot-on too. I roll on AC Wide Lightnings (also 29mm internal) and the wider profile makes such a difference. I know, because my bike was supplied with 21mm internall width rims, with 2.35" front tyre and I was forever tucking the front end in faster tight bends and quick changes of direction. . .not anymore.

Dude you sound convinced! Buy it ride it love it! Go have fun who cares what anybody else thinks. It's a good bike with good spec and will make you smile.

If we're honest, a bicycle is pretty much the sum of its parts and in that regard this is a solid choice:

2018 Revelation

GX Eagle - slightly heavier version of the X01 Eagle. Say no more.

SLX Brakes (M7000) are damned good!

2018 Fox Performance Float. I've only ridden that in 90mm travel guise earlier this year (on board the 2018 Anthem 29er in the Eston Classic) but hell its Fox, isn't suspension their thing?

I think the wheels are spot-on too. I roll on AC Wide Lightnings (also 29mm internal) and the wider profile makes such a difference. I know, because my bike was supplied with 21mm internall width rims, with 2.35" front tyre and I was forever tucking the front end in faster tight bends and quick changes of direction. . .not anymore.

But Martin, I thought you only rode your Trance on tarmac? Haha just kidding

Archived