Deciding between a GT and a Merida

Reme Le Hane

Grabbing an MTB mostly just for cross training, nothing too major so popped into 2 local shops to see what they have on offer. My pricing bracket was cheap but not rubbish and the GT kakkoram and Merida Big.Nine 300 (2017) where suggested.

Spec wise to me they seem pretty similar, so wondering which one is better quality. Most glaring different to me, the less informed is the GT had remote lockout.

Price wise:

Merida is 9k for the bike factory spec, finish en klaar.

GT is 10k, free tubeless conversion, bottle caddy (don't care), sealant and first 2 services.

So cash wise I see the GT as the better deal, both come with lifetime warranty on frame.

I'd suggest going secondhand in your price bracket.

Otherwise the GT-the 'free' things aren't free, but it's a decent-ish deal.

Last bike was second hand, it cost way too much money, 7k for the bike and over 20k in the year I owned it in services.

After noticing I spent 12.5k in 3 months and I was about 3 months away from needing to service both suspensions and replace the drive drain, I went stuff it.

Probably just my bad luck, but I rather buy it new that way I have warranties on things, and also that way I can estimate when certain things are gonna wear out and not suddenly have to find 12k in my budget for random breaking things.

I do know nothing is really free, but with the Merida they want R1500 for the tubeless conversion, GT said if I do the conversion when I buy the bike it's no cost. So in that context it is 'free' enough.

Well in that case the GT seems like the better one.

Have you looked at anything else?

Not yet, I was at the Giant dealer the other day, but that was when I was still looking at Road bikes, but at 13k for the suitable one, I may as well get a hard tail.

The Giant Talon 1 looks like a decent option, but apparently a 29er is better, if I took the GT I would probably take it up a step for the 2x10/11 instead of the 3.

Will make 1 more stop at my old bike shop and see what they suggest, after that I have covered all the branding options in my area.

Nothing wrong with Merida, I own one and am very happy with it but GT often gets overlooked. It was also the bike of choice for Burry Stander prior to him moving to Specialized. 

Tires: (F&R) Schwalbe Rapid Ron 29x2.25"

That is just poor for an official product website.

None the less, there is not really much difference between the two bikes in my opinion. Go for the one YOU like more.

However, for that sort of money you could get a much higher spec bike in the second hand market, if you're willing to wait for a deal. I picked a spotless Silverback Sola 2 for R7500 when I was buying.

Between the two bikes you are looking at I would suggest the GT aswell simply based on the extras and I have a spot for a GT.[emoji6]

However depending on your size my LBS might have something better for you at between R10 - R11k. They have a few Axis bikes A30, A20 and A10 models in stock wich are all equipped with RockShox Air shocks, a mix of Deore/SLX and Deore/XT 2×10 drivetrains with Hollowtech Cranks. Unfortunately only small models left, it is big for a small frame though. Just saying.

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

Not yet, I was at the Giant dealer the other day, but that was when I was still looking at Road bikes, but at 13k for the suitable one, I may as well get a hard tail.

The Giant Talon 1 looks like a decent option, but apparently a 29er is better, if I took the GT I would probably take it up a step for the 2x10/11 instead of the 3.

Will make 1 more stop at my old bike shop and see what they suggest, after that I have covered all the branding options in my area.

So you were actually looking for a road bike, but decided if you're spending so much anyway, might as well get 'more' for your money?

You'll make up the 3K extra you spend on the road bike within the first year or two in services; and you can buy a secondhand road bike with a lot of confidence if you're clued up-there aren't many moving parts and they don't get abused like in MTB

#justsaying

So you were actually looking for a road bike, but decided if you're spending so much anyway, might as well get 'more' for your money?

You'll make up the 3K extra you spend on the road bike within the first year or two in services; and you can buy a secondhand road bike with a lot of confidence if you're clued up-there aren't many moving parts and they don't get abused like in MTB

#justsaying

More like I was expecting the road bike to actually be a lot cheaper, would have preferred the MTB all along. Road would of been a 'throw away' money consolation prize.

Between the two bikes you are looking at I would suggest the GT aswell simply based on the extras and I have a spot for a GT.[emoji6]

However depending on your size my LBS might have something better for you at between R10 - R11k. They have a few Axis bikes A30, A20 and A10 models in stock wich are all equipped with RockShox Air shocks, a mix of Deore/SLX and Deore/XT 2×10 drivetrains with Hollowtech Cranks. Unfortunately only small models left, it is big for a small frame though. Just saying.

Bit of a drive though...

Bit of a drive though...

No problem, just thought I'd give you a few more options.

Archived