Drive Train Upgrade Assistance

GrantS@52

If memory serves me correct the shock on the Titan sport is a coil spring!

If you want a better ride then look at a better shock, but then you might as well just get a better bike, cause it will be costly to upgrade just that alone...unless you find a decent second hand one with the right fit specs!

Speaking from experience after doing a 2x10 to 1 x 11 swap out (entry level to high end) I can say there is definitely a huge difference in the way better components make the bike feel. General shifting and pedaling feels effortless compared to the entry level gear and this alone can transform your experience.

With the bike mentioned I would rather say save up and trade your bike in for something that already has a better fork and components. With the money you are looking at spending now you could just find that bike for you with all that you need  ;)

Besides that most bikes these days, bar the very low spec variants, are usually 1x and 2x.

And BTW if you run out of steam then just rest and carry on a little while later! You will get fitter the more you ride and eventually be able to ride without stopping for long distances  :thumbup:

Ride it till it falls apart, then upgrade.

Unless you have a charity recipient to donate an almost brand new drivetrain to, in which case go mad.

As for the expanders - don't bother. Rather get yourself a Sunrace 11-40 if you go 10 speed, the shifting will be a million times better and you'll save a few hundred bucks.

Expander is great if you already have a cassette that you want to convert. However if you're buying a cassette to start with, then you might as well just get a Sunrace 11-42 cassette which has the expander built in with all of the correct gear ratios lower down to match. I've done both, and the Sunrace option is by far the better one.

Definitely going that route when my cassette is finished, like the black very much.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Expander is great if you already have a cassette that you want to convert. However if you're buying a cassette to start with, then you might as well just get a Sunrace 11-42 cassette which has the expander built in with all of the correct gear ratios lower down to match. I've done both, and the Sunrace option is by far the better one.

Definitely going that route when my cassette is finished, like the black very much. And very well priced.

Buying new stuff can be pretty tollie when you just spent all your money on a new bike. I was dead set on doing a 1x11 conversion, but I'm patient AF when it comes to waiting for a bargain so I just kept an eye on the hub classifieds for like 3 months and slowly assembled everything I needed to do the conversion from 3x9 to 1x11, and I ended up with killer components for next to nothing. I would always recommend that route. Leave the new gear for the manne that are grabbing these XX1 Eagle "specials" and then capitalize on all the gear they take off their bikes :D

Go big or go home. This price is half of what my mtb is worth :w00t: 9ef807adb9a2995bc7daf56a4a7b1668.jpg6055ba8fa2f25fdb7b097ef46ed89398.jpg

Edited by BSG

Go big or go home. This price is half of what my mtb is worth :w00t: 9ef807adb9a2995bc7daf56a4a7b1668.jpg6055ba8fa2f25fdb7b097ef46ed89398.jpg

Yeah, but that's 12sp. You can pick up a 10 or 11sp for about half that price.

Ride it till it falls apart, then upgrade.

Unless you have a charity recipient to donate an almost brand new drivetrain to, in which case go mad.

As for the expanders - don't bother. Rather get yourself a Sunrace 11-40 if you go 10 speed, the shifting will be a million times better and you'll save a few hundred bucks.

The 11-42 Sunrace is even better...

Yeah, but that's 12sp. You can pick up a 10 or 11sp for about half that price.

I've done the 40 and 16t on my current 10 speed cassette last week, so luckily for a long time I'll be sorted.

The 11-42 Sunrace is even better...

Yeah, but doesn't play as well with the 10sp RDs that are only designed for 36T...

Unless you getting the upgrade components really cheap, don't do it.

Ride it more while saving up for a new bike. 

Upgrading is a slippery slope. You upgrade the drivetrain, then the shock, then the wheels, then the brakes, then the saddle and when you done, it was cheaper to just fork out for a new bike, as that will have the better frame.

Im wanting to go to a 3x10 setup, Im thinking of leaving the front 3 as is and changing the cassette, derailer, shifters and chain. to a x10.

Im wanting to get advice on the following if possible:

- Will this work?

- What dangers must i look out for in doing this?

- Where is the best place to get the parts?

1. Yes it will work.

2. Derailleur & shifter can go second hand, chain and cassette rather new. Make sure the shifter does not connect to the brake lever (i-spec) so you can mount it separately.

3. Classifieds and CWC

Cassette - 490

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/shimano-deore-10-spd-cassette-hg62

Chain - 350

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/kmc-x-1093-10-spd-chain

Second hand shifter and derailleur - around 1000

So you looking at close to 2K for a 10 speed upgrade.

But then rather go for a complete slx 11speed upgrade kit at 2650

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/shimano-slx-m7000-11spd-upgrade-kit