Stripped thread on Fork, is it repairable?

Menno Schagen

I was being over excited fitting my front caliper on my suspension fork and accidentally over-tightened the caliper and consequently stripped the thread on the bottom bolt.

Now the caliper moves slightly under hard braking, meaning that when I release the one pad still touches the rotor.

Is this something that can be fixed, or am I in for buying new lowers?

Many thanks in advance for your answers and opinions

I was being over excited fitting my front caliper on my suspension fork and accidentally over-tightened the caliper and consequently stripped the thread on the bottom bolt.

Now the caliper moves slightly under hard braking, meaning that when I release the one pad still touches the rotor.

Is this something that can be fixed, or am I in for buying new lowers?

Many thanks in advance for your answers and opinions

I have had the same problem before, the solution depends on how bad the thread is stripped, if its not too bad, running a tap through it may work, if its totally poked you can have a helicoil inserted either way it can be fixed.

I have had the same problem before, the solution depends on how bad the thread is stripped, if its not too bad, running a tap through it may work, if its totally poked you can have a helicoil inserted either way it can be fixed.

And this one.

OP, welcome to the Hub. Hope it is not the last visit from you. 

Please, go easy on those dumbbells in the Gym.  :whistling:

Done mine. M6 x 1.0 helicoil. Like new now. Be careful of going one size bigger bolt, there might not be enough meat for m8 tap!

Don't ride with a loose calliper.  It will damage the mounts and no one that I know of has a mount facing tool that will work on through axles.  Makes it a very difficult repair.

First prize a re tap and longer bolt if possible.

Don't ride with a loose calliper.  It will damage the mounts and no one that I know of has a mount facing tool that will work on through axles.  Makes it a very difficult repair.

First prize a re tap and longer bolt if possible.

genuine question - how does it being a through axle affect this?

This is an issue on one of the two mounting bolts for the caliper. (granted I don't fully know exactly what a mount facing tool is, but I think I can guess)

genuine question - how does it being a through axle affect this?

This is an issue on one of the two mounting bolts for the caliper. (granted I don't fully know exactly what a mount facing tool is, but I think I can guess)

You need something to attach the facing tool to, and the axle is it.

OP - if you find yourself anywhere near Salt River, bring me the fork and I can sort out in about 10 minutes.

Thank you very much guys! Really helpful!

Where do I get a helicoil? Or should stoke just sort me out on this one?

Stoke  :thumbup:

Helicoil. Had the same issue a while back on a used fork and got a Helicoil done, fork is still 100%.

Engineering shops should be able to help. I know Droo from stoke has a contact, perhaps give him a ring.

Archived