What is the enjoyment of the different cycling disciplines

LeoKnight

• 4 weeks later...

Haha. That is a nice summary. Love it.

Never done road. Have 8km gravel to get to the closest tar road.

Looking to get a gravel grinder/cyclocross bike.

Do xc and commute. Love it when I know I am almost at my limit and manage to hold my line and speed. Would still like to try enduro and some DH.

I do seem to be among the faster riders when it starts pointing down.

Thats just me. Have 2 wheels will ride!

As a 6 foot 4, 100kg+ rider, I have personally found Enduro to be the ultimate sweet spot for me. It lets me take my time on the climbs and have some great technical trail when I come down, which is what I love. I'm not a fan of spending my day on jeep tracks, nor sharing my immediate area with cars and pedestrians. Throw me on a mountain and point me in the direction of the closest single track and I'm a happy man.

Road - Love the speed, silence, acceleration, elegance and nimbleness of the bike. I used to love the team dynamics and tactics, but now mostly ride alone or in a small group. Occasionally still love racing for 3079 place. Simply love my yearly Argus for the cycling festival atmosphere. 

All mountain and trail - Love the beautiful places in nature where it takes me. Love the single track and the technical challenges. Love the smaller drops, jumps. Love the relaxed group of great mates that I ride with.

Marathon, multi day - Love the endurance challenge and the adventure of riding new areas. Love the team aspect, encouraging each other, thanks to Beattbox. Love how extremely fit training for it makes me.

Gravel grinding - Somewhere out in the Karoo on a lonely stretch of road where you won't see another soul for the whole day, I love the solitude and the chance to meditate, sometimes hallucinate?

Social, Moonlight Mass, Urban ride - Occasionally it is great fun to just ride with like minded nutters, for pure fun and the full technicolour experience of it all. Dress up and behave like a clown, decorate your bike like a Christmas tree, have a beer or two.

Eroica - Deserves a paragraph of its' own! The cameraderie, talking about and checking out classic bikes. Bringing a classic back to life and riding it like it was meant to in a time before our throw-away society. The laid back attitude, zero competitiveness. 

Commuting - Love how energized I feel when I ride to work, love the zero stress of not sitting enclose in a car in peak hour traffic. Wish I could do it more often. Also, love the "slightly crazy" reputation it gave me with co workers and staff.

So that begs the question, if you need to invest in another big, what is the next one, a mid-road bike, or mid-cx bike.  The mid-road gives you the speed (light, wheel width, geometry, gear ratio, simplicity of braking system, etc.), or the mid-cx for a bit more strength and versatility (bit stronger, wider wheels, better braking system,etc) at the expense of gear ratios, geometry, weight. 

seems the question is what is more important.. simplicity vs versatility