MTB Solo Safety

OutdoorJunkie

G26 or G43 ?

I am leaning towards one of these too. In answer to an earlier question, I am very comfortable with firearms. I own several, just not a hand-gun, as I have been trying to save up for a pistol rather than buying a cheap revolver just for home-defence.

Mojoman, its not about protecting your bike, its about protecting your life if they want more than just the bike. Because out in the bush alone, without your bike, you are very vulnerable.

the bigger issue with riding solo is when the k@k hits the fan, look at the van gaalen's incident, do you want to be stuck alone injured when no one knows where you are?

I used to do big solo rides often out pretoria east way, but walking 30km home carrying your bike when you have cut both sidewalls open diving off the dirt road for cover from hail and your phone is wet from hail/rain so you can't call for help is not fun, trust me...

Sure that is an issue yes, but that is not what I am afraid of. I have an adventure bike too and will one day invest in one of those Spot-Trackers for safety, as I sometimes take the bike out solo too. 

https://africa.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100

I cycle with groups and a mate and alone.

In SA cycling alone is an issue in certain areas so I am careful where etc. As mentioned being injured alone out far is not fun. Also you are an easier attack target while out alone and injured or with a mechanical.

Having said that I always carry with me in my Camelbak a small first aid kit and small repairs/tools. On my bike I have a small discreet top tube bag the most discreet I could find to buy, and in there is a flip knife and a small pepper spray. The knife is sharpened and easy to use and the pepper spray works I tested it lol. 

Issue with a gun is where to carry it. On bike is a no no as you can be separated from the bike in an ambush. On you is good- but- lets say you are ambushed and wacked with a pole- you separate cleanly from the bike and tiger roll on the ground successfully to perpendicularly face your 3 attackers so you can take them on 1 by 1 by 1. One is armed with a pistol one with a panga one with a brick.

You shoot the pistol dude, the panga dude comes for you so you shoot him. The brick guy runs off so you don't shoot him.

Great?

What if your bike has a mechanical from the crash and you need to push 20kms back. Brick guy returns with 10 mates and kills you. You don't have enough rounds in your sub compact Glock.

Or off you go- and the police charge you with murder. Why? Not for the pistol guy but for panga guy 'coz the brick guy told the police that you shot panga guy in cold blood. Your word versus his. Police side with him. Now what?

Too many variables. Including loss of gun, gun being used against you, you shooting yourself, you not being able to access your gun, and uncomfortbale gun carry.

I've insured my bike and they can have the thing even though I love my bike and have upgraded it nicely now.

But like with the recent Centurion incident- they cold bloodedly murdered him for his bike.

There is no clear answer. 

I'm reading a book on Zim and what happened there and hey if people want your stuff they want your stuff- they may even kill you to get it. SA now is at that point for many reasons.

I also just read a book by Davey Duplessis the Saffa who solo kayaked and biked down the Amazon- he was shot on the river in cold blood with a shotgun by 2 bandits- who wanted to rob him. They shot him first. He somehow survived and his book is worth the read. Some people do not value life.

Conclusion- I ride my nice insured bike alone at times with pepper spray and knife and I can use both. No gun, not usually. I am aware and do hope for the best. There are places I just won't ride or will not ride alone.

I cycle with groups and a mate and alone.

In SA cycling alone is an issue in certain areas so I am careful where etc. As mentioned being injured alone out far is not fun. Also you are an easier attack target while out alone and injured or with a mechanical.

Having said that I always carry with me in my Camelbak a small first aid kit and small repairs/tools. On my bike I have a small discreet top tube bag the most discreet I could find to buy, and in there is a flip knife and a small pepper spray. The knife is sharpened and easy to use and the pepper spray works I tested it lol. 

Issue with a gun is where to carry it. On bike is a no no as you can be separated from the bike in an ambush. On you is good- but- lets say you are ambushed and wacked with a pole- you separate cleanly from the bike and tiger roll on the ground successfully to perpendicularly face your 3 attackers so you can take them on 1 by 1 by 1. One is armed with a pistol one with a panga one with a brick.

You shoot the pistol dude, the panga dude comes for you so you shoot him. The brick guy runs off so you don't shoot him.

Great?

What if your bike has a mechanical from the crash and you need to push 20kms back. Brick guy returns with 10 mates and kills you. You don't have enough rounds in your sub compact Glock.

Or off you go- and the police charge you with murder. Why? Not for the pistol guy but for panga guy 'coz the brick guy told the police that you shot panga guy in cold blood. Your word versus his. Police side with him. Now what?

Too many variables. Including loss of gun, gun being used against you, you shooting yourself, you not being able to access your gun, and uncomfortbale gun carry.

I've insured my bike and they can have the thing even though I love my bike and have upgraded it nicely now.

But like with the recent Centurion incident- they cold bloodedly murdered him for his bike.

There is no clear answer. 

I'm reading a book on Zim and what happened there and hey if people want your stuff they want your stuff- they may even kill you to get it. SA now is at that point for many reasons.

I also just read a book by Davey Duplessis the Saffa who solo kayaked and biked down the Amazon- he was shot on the river in cold blood with a shotgun by 2 bandits- who wanted to rob him. They shot him first. He somehow survived and his book is worth the read. Some people do not value life.

Conclusion- I ride my nice insured bike alone at times with pepper spray and knife and I can use both. No gun, not usually. I am aware and do hope for the best. There are places I just won't ride or will not ride alone.

Soooo many points I disagree with! Regardless, this is not the place to debate guns and law in general, we can do that over a beer :thumbup: .

Only things I truly agree with is the first aid kit being a great idea, and they can have the insured bike!!

Knife and pepperspray on the bike? You contradict yourself there in the next paragraph regarding separation from the bike.

Actually sad that we have come to the point where issues like this are debated around the activity we love.

Pepper gel if I know I'm riding at odd times in quiet places.

But again, whoever earlier said knowing how to handle oneself in this situation is key.  remember, you can for a certain amount also introduce the element of surprise back into the situation, although when out-numbered, sometimes it just doesn't work out.   Bike is insured, they can have it.

However, if I had the chance to take one down after they attacked me first, I'd probably enjoy bashing them on the head with a rock...  :eek:  :nuke:  :oops:

I'd rather have the knife and pepper spray within easy access than not, but not on me as I don't wish to use it unless last resort.

I don't want to ever be separated from a firearm. However its okay - my pepper spray can roll down the hill - and I won't be charged with negligence. The knife can land up in the bush I can easily buy a new one, or the attackers can have it- their panga is much bigger. 

1st aid kit is great- I've had to use it before cycling and hiking and to help others.

Yes it is sad. Crazy really. 

Soooo many points I disagree with! Regardless, this is not the place to debate guns and law in general, we can do that over a beer :thumbup: .

Only things I truly agree with is the first aid kit being a great idea, and they can have the insured bike!!

Knife and pepperspray on the bike? You contradict yourself there in the next paragraph regarding separation from the bike.

Actually sad that we have come to the point where issues like this are debated around the activity we love.

Unfortunately yes, but that is the country we live in, and the situation is unlikely to improve anytime soon. I will have do a bit of thinking around this, either stay on the more used routes, which are no guarantee of safety either actually, or be better prepared for being attacked. Or do less solo riding, which would be a pity, I love being alone outdoor. 

Sure that is an issue yes, but that is not what I am afraid of. I have an adventure bike too and will one day invest in one of those Spot-Trackers for safety, as I sometimes take the bike out solo too. 

https://africa.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100

spot is great, if you are concious and physically able to hit the help button...

You posted a photo saying it was eerie so you turned back, the chances of someone being there to mug you are slim and in such a remote area chances are the people you will see live there and are harmless, but this means if you get in trouble the chances of someone coming along who can help in time if you are injured are even slimmer.

It seems some gangs (cowards) operates in a pack, and either put a stick into your wheel, forcefully push you off your bike, etc.  The element of surprise is more often than not 100% in their favour, especially in bushy / overgrown areas, around corners etc, where ambushes are laid.  Add to this the fact that they are totally prepared, ready with a plan, and full of adrenaline / drugs etc.

(Signs are this is probably what happened in Irene)

These gangs are extremely violent and will probably already start with the stabbing / shooting / kicking / using sticks / stones while you are still on your way to the ground. Even in the case of a very well prepared carrier the odds are stacked hugely against the rider if he is not in the same frame of mind as the attackers.  

(It might be difficult for a civilised person to really understand the absolutely brazenness and extreme sudden violence when encountering a gang)

Chances are they will find a concealed weapon as they will (try to) keep you down and clothes might get torn off as part of the attack.

(PS : The above refers to a gang attack and not the 'hijacking / robbery' scenario where they are 'only' after your bike / phone/ wallet etc.  Here you might be lucky to walk away relatively unscathed) 

The most valuable weapon you can carry with you is situational awareness. Look, think, expect and listen to that 6th sense telling you that something is wrong. That eerie feeling mentioned in post no. 2! Listen to it, it will help you avoid the trouble a lot of the time. Don't let tiredness dull your senses into missing your surroundings, especially on the last part of those long rides.

I have a pepperspray in my cycle shirt (LHS) always when im on the bike, road or in the bush, no knives, guns or batons, knives get used for cabanossi slaughter only.

I would hand over the bike very quickly if some dude pulled out a weapon, cant risk losing your life for a bicycle.

Pepper spray very effective for creating an opportunity to get out of a bad situation that could not be avoided.

Hope i never have to spray anyone, if i did it would be so that I could get the hell out of there as quickly as possible.

Never carried anything. Never had an issue. Ride mostly alone in CT / Table Mountain / N'burbs. That's just me and not a comment on anything anyone else wants to do.

To be honest if it got to the point I thought I needed to carry something then it'd be time to hang up the wheels and find something else to do. 

Archived