Stiffening Rear Wheel on a Frame with Open Dropouts / QR

Mintman

Hi guys, I have a newbie question:

My 29er hardtail frame is 135mm x 10mm QR at the rear and I'm wanting to make it stiffer, as with a thru axle.

Is my only option to compromise by using a 10mm axle with 135mm spacing that combines the skewer and axle into one unit? For example, the DT Swiss RWS skewer.

If so, does anyone know where i could get hold of axles like this or have them made? I would be keen to use one for the front wheel too as my fork is QR.

And are there any other options? Axle conversion kits?

Thanks!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just use it as it is.

You are wasting your money for a gain that you honestly won't notice.

You can't usually change the frame drop outs (unless it has sliders or paragon bolt on inserts, so my advice is to not even bother.

A bolt through axle will probably be 'stiffer' but buying it, lacing it and going through the whole rig moral isn't a win. 

Make sure your spokes are tensioned correctly if the back of your bike feels like it's flexing. This 'improvement' is going to cost you far more than the teeny tiny marginal gains are worth.

(I say this riding 3 different mountain bikes with QR drop outs... say no to progression - luddite for life!)

I'm not sure all QRs are made (and work) equally. I have one wheel that has a really wimpy-feeling QR, and another that leaves my bike creaking on honking, out-the-saddle efforts... I think the creaking is down to the QR not being that effective.

NyZrKdM.jpg

Nice option and well priced too. Reluctant to have to swap my Rapide one out and have it rebuilt tho.

Its worth mentioning though. That I've heard the Da Bomb freebodies don't last too long.

I'm not sure of the details. But I was going to pull the trigger on the hub above and it was suggested that I find an alternative. 

I haven't really been looking since to be honest. Its just a normal 135mm hub with a built in axle that bolts onto your normal dropouts. So no skewer required. Albeit at the expense of an extra minute or two to get the wheel loose should you need to.

Nice option and well priced too. Reluctant to have to swap my Rapide one out and have it rebuilt tho.

It would come to that. You could chat to Rapide about conversion options but I'm pretty sure you're stuck with qr. Many hubs these days come with conversion cups for both 135x10 and 142x12 in the same hub. But a 135mm bolt on hub is an entirely different thing alltogether. The aim being to stiffen the rear of existing 135mm dropout bikes. With that purpose in mind it makes no sense that a conversion from skewer to bolt-on for the same hub could even exist. I've been wrong before though. 

If you do decide to re-lace. I might be interested in the Rapide hub... 

It would come to that. You could chat to Rapide about conversion options but I'm pretty sure you're stuck with qr. Many hubs these days come with conversion cups for both 135x10 and 142x12 in the same hub. But a 135mm bolt on hub is an entirely different thing alltogether. The aim being to stiffen the rear of existing 135mm dropout bikes. With that purpose in mind it makes no sense that a conversion from skewer to bolt-on for the same hub could even exist. I've been wrong before though. 

If you do decide to re-lace. I might be interested in the Rapide hub... 

When I upgraded the wheelset on my 26er I found a second hand set with novatec hubs that used 135x10 with a solid 10mm axle (like the DT Swiss one I mentioned in my original post). It feels great and I think this would have been ideal. But if that's not an option then I will just stick with QR. I really like the Rapide set and will move it across to a different frame in time.

When I upgraded the wheelset on my 26er I found a second hand set with novatec hubs that used 135x10 with a solid 10mm axle (like the DT Swiss one I mentioned in my original post). It feels great and I think this would have been ideal. But if that's not an option then I will just stick with QR. I really like the Rapide set and will move it across to a different frame in time.

Can you not have the 135x10mm end caps machined to fit a 10mm axle?

We machined some 135x10mm DT swiss end caps to fit a 135x12mm bolt through a year or two ago... that would be your best option without having to re lace the wheel

Depends what you've got on there now. If it's a cheap and cheerful open cam skewer, that DT one will change your life. Well, not really, but they're miles ahead of anything other than the Shimano closed cam ones.

9mm bolt through could be done, but you'd need to have a custom axle machined which could get expensive if you don't have a tame machinist.

Depends what you've got on there now. If it's a cheap and cheerful open cam skewer, that DT one will change your life. Well, not really, but they're miles ahead of anything other than the Shimano closed cam ones.

9mm bolt through could be done, but you'd need to have a custom axle machined which could get expensive if you don't have a tame machinist.

Thanks Droo, these are the skewers I'll have:

Rapide-Ultralight-PRO-2017-Hubset.jpg

Let me know if you come across a source for the DT swiss ones, pretty please.

DT Swiss also make a RWS skewer with a standard 5mm axle which they claim has a clamping force of over 1000nm higher than a conventional skewer.

DT Swiss also make a RWS skewer with a standard 5mm axle which they claim has a clamping force of over 1000nm higher than a conventional skewer.

Thanks Peter, that sounds like a another good option. Do you know where they can be bought in SA?

Thanks Peter, that sounds like a another good option. Do you know where they can be bought in SA?

These seem like the answer. If you find some, please let me know?

Not cheap.

Archived