Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

BigDL

I'm 48 and 16 kg's over weight.

POA is to cut out sugar and bread, exercise more. 

At the moment only seem to be doing exercise on the weekend and not really that much  :eek:

I'm starting today (no time like the present) I know it's a little on the bonkers side to start a "diet" (aka lifestyle change) on a Saturday but the Monday thing never works out.

This is it folks I'm tired of being a cute  :blush: baby hippo.

Excellent ! Best of luck.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. As much as I loved beer and red wine I find that I can resist it with very little effort. Sugar that is another story.

I feel chuffed. Went through a pressure week without any coke, bar one and bread. Must be the first 5 days in 30 years where I did not have any or all of them.

I find that I wake up very tired but it probably is because of the reduced sugar. Otherwise I am geting ill.

5 days down16 to go!!!

Hang in there Johan. Breaking the clutches of a carb overloaded diet is not easy, but it is so much worth it! The cravings should become less after 10 to 14 days. You should perhaps look at your salt intake. Suddenly reducing the amount of carbs in a diet does have a diuretic effect on most individuals. This can leach electrolytes from your system, and can in turn lead to a lethargic and weak feeling, and even cramps and night cramps. Consuming a salty broth or soup once or twice a day should sort this out.

Hang in there Johan. Breaking the clutches of a carb overloaded diet is not easy, but it is so much worth it! The cravings should become less after 10 to 14 days. You should perhaps look at your salt intake. Suddenly reducing the amount of carbs in a diet does have a diuretic effect on most individuals. This can leach electrolytes from your system, and can in turn lead to a lethargic and weak feeling, and even cramps and night cramps. Consuming a salty broth or soup once or twice a day should sort this out.

+1

Thanks guys. Had a little bit of.a sin day today and had a very small Bar One and 2 sips of Coke from my daughters Coke. That was all!!

But I hammered it this afternoon on a hard ride so I recon at least the sugar has been neutralized??

Will look at my salt intake and lol I think my recovery drink also contains a lot of sugar.

O brother

Thanks guys. Had a little bit of.a sin day today and had a very small Bar One and 2 sips of Coke from my daughters Coke. That was all!!

But I hammered it this afternoon on a hard ride so I recon at least the sugar has been neutralized??

Will look at my salt intake and lol I think my recovery drink also contains a lot of sugar.

O brother

Better to go cold turkey and cut the sweet stuff once and for all. No small bites and sips here and there. Will be the quickest to completely get over the cravings.

As I think I've mentioned before 'cheat meals' or nibbles on something here or there are my 'kryptonite' so to speak so I just don't do it anymore, always a slippery slope ....

January/February I went down that road and very quickly picked up quite a bit of weight, fortunately back on track since 22 Feb (my protein only diet still) and dropped those 8kg's in the meantime

I envy those who can do the cheat meal thing though [emoji57]

Better to go cold turkey and cut the sweet stuff once and for all. No small bites and sips here and there. Will be the quickest to completely get over the cravings.

Agree. It's not about the few calories that you neutralise with a quick ride. It's about getting that Insulin monster under control completely.

A sip of Coke doesn't have any calorie significance, but it will boost your insulin levels significantly, and as long as that keeps happening the sugar cravings will continue. And as long as they continue, you're going to be tested. Until you crack, possibly.

Agree. It's not about the few calories that you neutralise with a quick ride. It's about getting that Insulin monster under control completely.

A sip of Coke doesn't have any calorie significance, but it will boost your insulin levels significantly, and as long as that keeps happening the sugar cravings will continue. And as long as they continue, you're going to be tested. Until you crack, possibly.

+1. Losing and controlling weight is all about insulin. Insulin switches the metabolism between fat burning and fat storing mode. Even a small sip of coke is enough to 'throw the switch' in fat storing mode for a couple of hours. It is physically impossible to put on weight if insulin levels are kept low and constant

Jip and what I did not mention is that the sweet taste was not equal to how cross I was with myself.

One does not always think about the insulin.

So back to the cold turkey then and hopefully with the comments above in mind.

Thanks for the open and honest comments. This is what I love about the hub. You are not alone in the fight

Well on the positive side I have dropped about 1 kg since I last weighed myself 2 weeks ago.

Seconds out round number 2..........

Jip and what I did not mention is that the sweet taste was not equal to how cross I was with myself.

One does not always think about the insulin.

So back to the cold turkey then and hopefully with the comments above in mind.

Thanks for the open and honest comments. This is what I love about the hub. You are not alone in the fight

Well on the positive side I have dropped about 1 kg since I last weighed myself 2 weeks ago.

Seconds out round number 2..........

Way to go!

And remember, the body you see in the mirror isn't the enemy, it's your ally. You're in this together, so make peace.

I need some advice please..

At the CTCT I weighed 90kg, which probably robbed me of my sub 3 for obvious reasons - I did 3:02. My ideal racing weight should be ±83kg.

After the CTCT I changed my diet completely. I cut out all sugar drinks, beer, alcohol etc. I cut out 90% of carbs such as bread, potatoes etc. 

I eat 5 small meals / snacks every day + at least 1.5 liters of water. (Lean protein + Veg)

I have also started some off-season cross training for overall body strength and fitness (Search  Evolution MMA & Fitness on Facebook). I train at least 5 times a week, of which 3 will be at the GYM doing HIIT or cardio-core. These workouts are 45min all out sessions with no rest! These gym workouts do not involve any free weights that would promote major muscle building, but is mostly based on calisthenic principles.

I have so far lost only 1kg, but 3cm off my waist. I was expecting much faster weight loss, but for some reason I cannot seem to get the ball rolling on the weight loss, although waist size is has come down quite a lot.

Any ideas how I can kick start the weight loss??

I’m at 91.3 I have not weighed so little in a long time!!

I'm At the exact same weight.. losing slowly, but steadily also haven't been this low for years..its awesome and congrats on your weight loss

I'm At the exact same weight.. losing slowly, but steadily also haven't been this low for years..its awesome and congrats on your weight loss

Well done to you to! Thanks! Ja I’m really pretty stoked. I was aiming for 88 but I think I’ll try maintaining at 90 otherwise I’m going to be a tribbes. Edited by Pieter1

I need some advice please..

At the CTCT I weighed 90kg, which probably robbed me of my sub 3 for obvious reasons - I did 3:02. My ideal racing weight should be ±83kg.

After the CTCT I changed my diet completely. I cut out all sugar drinks, beer, alcohol etc. I cut out 90% of carbs such as bread, potatoes etc. 

I eat 5 small meals / snacks every day + at least 1.5 liters of water. (Lean protein + Veg)

I have also started some off-season cross training for overall body strength and fitness (Search  Evolution MMA & Fitness on Facebook). I train at least 5 times a week, of which 3 will be at the GYM doing HIIT or cardio-core. These workouts are 45min all out sessions with no rest! These gym workouts do not involve any free weights that would promote major muscle building, but is mostly based on calisthenic principles.

I have so far lost only 1kg, but 3cm off my waist. I was expecting much faster weight loss, but for some reason I cannot seem to get the ball rolling on the weight loss, although waist size is has come down quite a lot.

Any ideas how I can kick start the weight loss??

it sound like you are building muscle, even though you not doing weight training you still building, you got to keep in mind a LCHF diet PROMOTES muscle build. as long as your cm drop I wouldn't worry too much.