WE ARE OPEN - Cathkin Trails - Central Drakensberg, KZN

snowbeast

The mini trail at Mountain Splendour are good for a shorter ride and there are some added trails starting at the back of the Cedarwood shopping centre and around the intersection of the road turning off to Drak Sun.

But for a longer ride the gravel roads into the Sappi Forest (past the Sawmill & Ardmore) offer at 40 km+ ride with some challenging Strava Segments...

I heard of another trail going up the mountain from Ardmore and through a "saddle" at the top and then riding along the top linking through to the Falcon Ridge/ Reptile centre. Will give this route a try on Saturday.

Here's hoping that at some stage the full Cathkin Trails will be resurrected.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty good riding to be had even if there aren’t formal trails. Otherwise All Out isn’t that far away sand Winterton is nearby.

Worth taking the bike just to do some old school backcountry exploring.

1 hour ago, robbybzgo said:

The mini trail at Mountain Splendour are good for a shorter ride and there are some added trails starting at the back of the Cedarwood shopping centre and around the intersection of the road turning off to Drak Sun.

But for a longer ride the gravel roads into the Sappi Forest (past the Sawmill & Ardmore) offer at 40 km+ ride with some challenging Strava Segments...

I heard of another trail going up the mountain from Ardmore and through a "saddle" at the top and then riding along the top linking through to the Falcon Ridge/ Reptile centre. Will give this route a try on Saturday.

Here's hoping that at some stage the full Cathkin Trails will be resurrected.

The loop up to Falcon Ridge is fairly easy to find. Ride up the main forestry road that goes past the foresters house and workshop in the valley (coming from the Ardmore side, turn left at a major split in the road where the house is. Going straight will keep you in the valley) all the way up the main road climb until you get to the open where the tribal land starts and the forest stops, then go right up a steep climb (no real path but lots of cattle tracks) sort of towards the tower and then stay on that main 4x4 track from the tower for a while on the ridge line. If you stay on the ridge pretty much and go right at any major split you will end up on the tar road near Falcon Ridge.