Bike Hub Commuters Challenge 2018

Bateleur1

Thanks. The tour guides will be transporting the bags.

I will bank the miles and we can discuss whether they count as commuting after the fact. Will post strava links. Sound fair? 

I would be inclined to say yes. Start and end point is different and it is something that you could have done in a car. You will most probably be carrying bags etc with/on you. Not sure what the others think but I wouldn't have an issue. Although, as last years winner maybe you should forfeit these miles.  ^_^ 

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. The tour guides will be transporting the bags.

I will bank the miles and we can discuss whether they count as commuting after the fact. Will post strava links + pics. Sound fair? 

Fixed. Sounds fair.

Samson99 question brings up another one with me.  We will be getting some family visiting us in June.  There is a distinct possibility (weather permitting) that we might take them to some of the lakes in Austria to swim for the day.  Out car will be to small to accomodate all so I will be riding my bike there while the rest of the family travels by car.  Would that classify as a commute?

Glad I had lights on this morning - very misty/foggy going through some of the river valleys in the Fourways area....

Glad I had lights on this morning - very misty/foggy going through some of the river valleys in the Fourways area....

Lights are always good, even in overcast weather.

Lights are always good, even in overcast weather.

My front light is ALWAYS on. On my way home it flashes and to work, even in summer if its light already its on steady. I have the garmin varia at the back so use that no matter what time of day as well.

Usually the east rand is worse but today it was clear. It's building up now though and looks like some rain is possible,

I would say yes. If i remember correctly, it was stated in the beginning of the thread somewhere that if you start at one point and end at another point it is considered a commute. Unless it is a race of course. We should maybe setup some rules as to what exactly constitutes a commute. 

Fetching milk, riding to work, extending riding to work, etc. How should we go about this?

Samson99 question brings up another one with me.  We will be getting some family visiting us in June.  There is a distinct possibility (weather permitting) that we might take them to some of the lakes in Austria to swim for the day.  Out car will be to small to accomodate all so I will be riding my bike there while the rest of the family travels by car.  Would that classify as a commute?

Thursday is D-Day for my shoulder op. So tomorrow is my last day of riding for 6 weeks :(  :(  :(  :(

Eish! Good luck with op. Use the down time well, come back super motivated and fresh!

Eish! Good luck with op. Use the down time well, come back super motivated and fresh!

Thanks. Will need the down time to prep for the naughty boys 2 and 3 arriving end June.

Struggling with a bit of a cold/flu/thingiemabob .... this is going to take a toll on my mileage :(

Feel better dude! Flu season is coming and apparently it going to be a bad one this year!

Going for my flu shot this arvie......

Thanks. Will need the down time to prep for the naughty boys 2 and 3 arriving end June.

Sleep, sleep, sleep! ..... You're going to miss it, when they arrive.   :D

That sounds like commuting. Hotel to Hotel could potentially become a bit woolly ... when does an event become a race?

Not that I will catch samson, so from my position on the leaderboard it's fine ... i'm just a bit envious!

A bit of a repost but thought it would be ok to post these pictures again in this thread.

Commuted this morning with a co-worker if mine.  He lives in the same town as me.  Was his first commute so had to take it easy with him otherwise the evening ride back is going to be hell for him.  Had some time to take the more scenic route and take some pictures.

Co-worker suffering up the only real climb on the route ..

post-71-0-50250900-1523516990_thumb.jpg

Alps looking nice this morning.  Amazing this time of the year is how much more you see as the trees still have not grown their new leaves yet and you tend to observe more.

post-71-0-24398300-1523516996_thumb.jpg

Nice sunrise ...

post-71-0-75219200-1523517002_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-62491300-1523517007_thumb.jpg

I spent the week in the hospital with pneumonia. This ends my non-stop commute since November.

I don't even know how I will get to work next week and have no idea how long it will take to get back on the bike. My lungs took some bad shots.

Any recovery suggestions?

Archived