Bike Hub Commuters Challenge 2018

Bateleur1

So my wife this morning mentioned that maybe I should rest one day in the week and commute by train.  I think that knock on her head was more serious than anticipated.  How else can she utter such nonsense?  :wacko:    I told her I am fine.  In the unlikely event of the body being tired I will just ride slower.  ^_^

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha. I do take one or even two days off the bike per week depending on how I feel.

If I feel tired after work, I just take the short route back home. The route still has some climbs and no matter how slow I try to ride it, I need to lay down the watts to keep moving.

I compared my ride from yesterday against the same ride more or less back home without a rucksack and it was quite interesting to see how harder one works (thanks to the power meter providing the numbers).

So weight does play a role, at least on the climbs.

I am thinking to start commuting in my bibs both ways and leave 2 sets of jeans (and underwear) at work. Will my make rucksack a bit lighter and more comfortable to ride.

When summer arrives here in the Cape, I will need to invest in a more breathable bag.

So my wife this morning mentioned that maybe I should rest one day in the week and commute by train.  I think that knock on her head was more serious than anticipated.  How else can she utter such nonsense?  :wacko:    I told her I am fine.  In the unlikely event of the body being tired I will just ride slower.  ^_^

Blasphemy!!!!  But maybe you should listen to your wife rather.  :whistling:

Agreed, just ride slower. It is nice to just cycle and enjoy the ride than worry about the numbers.

Bats, when are you stopping commuting this year? You are now 500km ahead of us and i am not liking this one bit.  :D

Blasphemy!!!!  But maybe you should listen to your wife rather.  :whistling:

Agreed, just ride slower. It is nice to just cycle and enjoy the ride than worry about the numbers.

Bats, when are you stopping commuting this year? You are now 500km ahead of us and i am not liking this one bit.  :D

:clap: Bha ha.

Can't say really.  Comparing to last year I should still be able to cycle till November.  Time will tell.  Oh and I am planning on putting up a fight against the cold. How much of a fight we wil have to see.

The weather gurus reckon we still have a few days of summer left.  Although it will start cooling down now we should still have some mid 20 temps  for some time.  As we say in German ... I will let myself be surprised and see what happens.

Haha. I do take one or even two days off the bike per week depending on how I feel.

If I feel tired after work, I just take the short route back home. The route still has some climbs and no matter how slow I try to ride it, I need to lay down the watts to keep moving.

I compared my ride from yesterday against the same ride more or less back home without a rucksack and it was quite interesting to see how harder one works (thanks to the power meter providing the numbers).

So weight does play a role, at least on the climbs.

I am thinking to start commuting in my bibs both ways and leave 2 sets of jeans (and underwear) at work. Will my make rucksack a bit lighter and more comfortable to ride.

When summer arrives here in the Cape, I will need to invest in a more breathable bag.

Yip, I have been commuting with the laptop the last couple of days.  Sure is weight training.  The last couple of weeks I start of with Monday  and Tuesday riding at a decent pace and then normally take it very easy on the Wednesday and possible the Thursday morning, encreasing pace to Friday afternoon which normally a TT session with loop home of some sort.

you-play-any-dangerous-sports-al-sometim

But to be honest, I really want to commute!  I am, however, struggling with serious safety concerns (traffic, malignant intent and possible criminal elements), seeing how our offices are in the Bloemfontein CBD...  I have considered riding to work once or twice, just to see if it is at all possible and/or safe, but I do not have a "worthless" bicycle that might possible deter "opportunists".

Bats have you got kids? My wife has said the exact same thing multiple times. And what it came down to is; when I get home, I'm too tired to spend time with the kids, help with homework, etc.

I thought I was helping, but they seem to pick up on the imperceptible. If I'm honest with myself, I am pretty drained at the end of the day and perhaps the energy level when dealing with the kids is not what it should be. 

The solution I've found is, ride slower on ALL my rides. I used to clap my commutes in 45-50mins. Now I make sure, I don't go below 50mins. 

Bats have you got kids? My wife has said the exact same thing multiple times. And what it came down to is; when I get home, I'm too tired to spend time with the kids, help with homework, etc.

I thought I was helping, but they seem to pick up on the imperceptible. If I'm honest with myself, I am pretty drained at the end of the day and perhaps the energy level when dealing with the kids is not what it should be. 

The solution I've found is, ride slower on ALL my rides. I used to clap my commutes in 45-50mins. Now I make sure, I don't go below 50mins. 

Yes I have kids. But when I get home. I jump into the shower quickly (on family demand :D) and then continue helping as per normal.  I do not feel the drain.  When I take the public transport then I get home feeling like my batteries got ripped out.

6k Bats! Well done!   :clap:

You deserve a week off (make that two).

You starting to sound like my wife ...  :whistling:  :ph34r:

I would just not be comfortable loosing all street cred by being seen riding a recumbent :P

I wish I could find one to buy!

Tim Brink raced Argus this year on one. He started with us in racing tandems.

Also at the 12 hour Killarney Challenge.

LZSZi5Q.jpg

but he lost all street cred years ago when he sold his GT SS .... so now he can live a free lifestyle of riding "whateva" he wants

Funnily enough we had the exact same temps here in Gauteng today. Yoh! it was cold!

It is not as bad but did take the body by surprise this morning.

Archived