Bike Hub Commuters Challenge 2018

Bateleur1

What bikes are you guys commuting on?

Reason I am asking is I use the MTB so I can transition between pavement/road/dirt, but ideally the road bike would make more sense speed wise, just slightly worried about cars. 

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ride my hardtail Silverback Sola 3 (I actually bought it mainly for commuting).

On the very rare occassion I'll take the dual suspension MTB, and on even more rare occasions, I'll take the road bike.

I ride my hardtail Silverback Sola 3 (I actually bought it mainly for commuting).

On the very rare occassion I'll take the dual suspension MTB, and on even more rare occasions, I'll take the road bike.

This could be a good reason to build a hardtail then. which would actually make more sense than the dual suspension. 

This could be a good reason to build a hardtail then. which would actually make more sense than the dual suspension. 

We all need another bike in our lives... ;)

Go build it. We're waiting for pictures... :P

Reason I am asking is I use the MTB so I can transition between pavement/road/dirt, but ideally the road bike would make more sense speed wise, just slightly worried about cars. 

I use an old 26inch GT hardtail with lights and reflection tape all over. BUT just this week I have had to start using my 29er as the GT needs a lot of new parts and financially it just makes more sense to use the 29er that's gathering dust. So once I got a few spare zar I will breath life into the GT again, love that bike.

rigid SS is the way to go. Much less maintenance and reliable. Tubeless tyres preferably. Decent lights front and rear(I don't skimp on my commuter but on my road bikes I use much dimmer smaller lights as usually I am riding with mates in a group). As I am not worried about weight I got plenty spares and tools with me. My commuter doesn't look sleek and fast at all but I don't care as I don't want to be left on the side of the road before work, in the dark, on my own.

2008 alu 26 Giant XTC 9-speed. This bike has taken a lot of abuse...

And the below :)

On the very rare occasion I'll take the dual suspension MTB, and on even more rare occasions, I'll take the road bike.

SS... I prefer the comfort of gears... 350 m climbing to work is hard enough with gears especially after a hard training ride (Engen) before my commute.

Prefer the road bike, but when the weather is not favourable (wet conditions) I take the mountain bike or in good weather I feel like riding on some back roads through the forests I also take a mountain bike.  I am with Flemish Lion wrt gears.  I often meet with other commuters and then we are a group of 3 to 4 who commute together which normally turns out to be a sufferfest for an hour to or from work.

I'm just selling myself reasons why I need another bike... ;)

One reason should be good enough but in my case I need to provide a few more(and valid ones. Worn tyres isn't good enough) to the wife. If I am not mistaken, you don't have that issue? You only need to get approval from 50 cats.

Usually my 26er hardtail Giant XTC, but it needs maintenance, so currently the 26er Giant Trance.

Have an old Giant Sedona 26er rigid at home - hopefully will take it to the office before the end of this month (it needs a bike-shop visit too)

My commute takes me over pavements and sometimes through parts of the spruit (or at least Delta Park) so I prefer something with fatter tyres.

I'm just selling myself reasons why I need another bike... ;)

I am currently taking tips from guys who commute through winter here.  So I might be getting a new bike for the next winter.  Still contemplating.  A third bike or maybe save up for a new road bike in future.

I don't think I would be keen to commute on my road bike. When I am on the road, I normally ride as far left as I can which is usually in the dirt. Road bike won't cope with that. But I also try use pavements and dirt paths next to the road as far as possible. I also use commuting as training so the heavier MTB is better for me.

Archived