How wide is too wide?

cliff_ross

Lots of great feed back. Thanks.

As mentioned in the beginning it all comes down to personal comfort and preference.

As I read this I can see that the really wide bars are generally more suited to downhills and possibly enduro, while the more XCM/ XCO type riding is between 700 to 760.

I have a Camber with 760mm and am looking for the ideal length bar for XCO type riding I am thinking of doing with the bike I'm assembling.

At the moment I am thinking in the region of 700 or 720mm. I am 1.90 tall, 75 kg and not wide across the shoulders.

Once again thanks for all the feedback.

I run the following and both work well:

Medium 2014 SC 5010: 790mm with 35mm stem,

Inbred (26er 16 inch): 780 with 45mm stem.

To be honest, I should swop the stems as the 5010 handled better with the 45mm Funn stem, but that would stuff up the colour scheme on the Inbred.

I am a 165.5cm tall hobbit.

As mentioned in the beginning it all comes down to personal comfort and preference.

As I read this I can see that the really wide bars are generally more suited to downhills and possibly enduro, while the more XCM/ XCO type riding is between 700 to 760.

I have a Camber with 760mm and am looking for the ideal length bar for XCO type riding I am thinking of doing with the bike I'm assembling.

At the moment I am thinking in the region of 700 or 720mm. I am 1.90 tall, 75 kg and not wide across the shoulders.

I have some narrower bars if you wanna give them a go before investing. I will confirm later their widths.

I have a friend on an XL Camber (he is also 1.90m), and uses 760mm bars with a 75mm stem. You larger guys tend to be more at home on woder bars, so although you might think 720mm is perfect, take small bits off at a time. 10mm per side then ride, you can always make it narrower but never wider! It's a bit more admin, but going straight to a narrow bar could potentially cost you a new bar. Edited by Grease_Monkey

You could also check with a bike fitter what should theoretically be right for you.

I'm 1.9m, wide shoulders and my 760mm bars feel fine on everything I ride (mostly trails, typically 1 to 3 hour rides), except long, flat, boring sections where aero bars would be nice.