Pretoria - 20min FTP Test

Rudi Pollard

Thanks for all the input. I am well aware that I should train using the same unit I did my FTP test on and that is what will happen.

My current FTP, which was done in August after a comeback from a broken leg was a 1 hour effort I did in racing conditions.

I will do the next one on the same bike using the same power meter so I am hoping for a good improvement after a big month in December. This will determine my training zones for the rest of the Epic build up.

Spot on - an FTP test is used to gauge your progress

Or to set up your zones for training? 

Or you can use it to race?  i.e stay below FTP?

Like I said in the beginning.  Depends on the use of your FTP.

If I want to gauge progress, measure indoor vs indoor

If you want to get zones for training and racing, go outside and hammer it on a road similar to your everyday ride or planned race.

My 2c.

I once "had to" stop on the little climb for a "nature break". (Good enough excuse to rest halfway up that craaaazzzzyyy climb. )

Not sure if it would be good for a FTP test.  Your FTP on a hill is normally higher than on say a flattish piece of road.

I guess it depends what you want to do with your FTP figure. 

Thats true, 

So my base training for the Epic has come to an end, and my FTP tests is due this Saturday. Can anyone point me to a nice 20min segment in or around pretoria? I have a few routes in mind around WTF, but all of them has some flat/down sections in the middle which is going to mess up the efforts a bit.

https://cadencecycling.co.za/

Thank me later.

Agree with Spider. You need to do an ftp outside on the road and an ftp on your indoor setup if you train a lot on the idt. My idt ftp differed, itwas consistently lower by 30 to 40 watt over 5 years on the idt. This was using the same bike and the same powermeter, idt just providing resistance. I expect the numbers will vary with equipment and per person, but those are mine, measured with powertap and srm.

I agree with some of the previous posts.

Do your FTP on the equipment you are doing most of your training on.  If you train mostly outdoors, then so should the test be; if training is on a wattbike, then do FTP on a wattbike.

Agree with Spider. You need to do an ftp outside on the road and an ftp on your indoor setup if you train a lot on the idt. My idt ftp differed, itwas consistently lower by 30 to 40 watt over 5 years on the idt. This was using the same bike and the same powermeter, idt just providing resistance. I expect the numbers will vary with equipment and per person, but those are mine, measured with powertap and srm.

And from what I've read, the reason it's lower is because of the energy our body uses in trying to cool itself while on the IDT.

I agree with heat build up as a factor.

Another contributer in my case may be the older style resistance mechanism (pre-loaded roller) which just feels different to out on the road. If I stop pedalling, the weel stops fairly quickly. I think the change from road feel costs a few W's as well.

Archived