What does CSA do for you?

mikeking

I am not a member and don't give a sh*t,but have you bothered to go online and check their website.Last time I looked I could find the financial reports quite easily.

Having been chairman of the Botswana Cycling Association for many years as well as committee member of the Gaborone Cycling Club,one question that is always thrown at every club or association is..what do they do for me,well let me ask you ...what do you do for them?

So Kranswurm, then you should know that the financial reports for 2017 are not yet on the website! Furthermore, I am a member of a club, and know exactly what I do for the club and what the club does for me. This is not the case with CSA, do you know exactly who were the recipients of the 5bar in 2016? I think not! Furthermore, I cannot find any accounting relating to the NW affiliation that I must pay. There is no website, no contact details, and we have no provincial championships organised for us. So why should we pay? So to answer your question, what do I do for them, I pay them!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to race licenaed you have to give these clowns money. A lovely monopolistic company that takes takes takes and does very little.

When they changed from SACF to CSA we were excited and there was some progress then slowly they become the same old crap SAFC. Good times.

Now you giving away your age/how long you been involved with cycling.

Bottom line is I do NOT want to be a member of this association, but I have NO CHOICE, so yes the question is what do I get for my money.

Then regarding clubs, again why do clubs exist? not sure as I really do not see the need, but I assume that people like to socialize and if so form your club and contribute what you will. but again why MUST I join a club?

If you demand money from me that is all you get unless something grabs my warm fuzzy bits and I want to contribute, but I cannot see why any institution that imposes a "TAX" wants me to do anything except pay them and then I HAVE THE RIGHT TO KNOW WHAT I GET FOR MY MONEY!

Yes you may not want me in your club with that attitude, but I do not want to be in your club, it is forced on me by people that are getting paid to manage the "TAX" and generate value for us people that don't want to belong and those that do want to belong.

Well, technically its your choice to take part in their sanctioned race. If it was a TAX, everyone buying a bicycle would be paying for a licence, like your TV licence.

But if YOU CHOOSE to take part in a race that is sanctioned, then YOU CHOOSE to pay for it. The organizers CHOSE to sanction the race, because it will pull the 10% of the fully licenced racing field. The funrider field is large enough to uphold the race, but the organizers see benefit in pulling in the CSA.

But if YOU CHOOSE to take part in a race that is sanctioned, then YOU CHOOSE to pay for it. The organizers CHOSE to sanction the race, because it will pull the 10% of the fully licenced racing field. The funrider field is large enough to uphold the race, but the organizers see benefit in pulling in the CSA.

When someone points a gun to you head and say hand over wallet you can CHOOSE to hand over your money and get robbed or you can CHOOSE to refuse and get shot & robbed. Simply having a choice between bad options doesn't make the situation fine.

Maybe more organisers should be brave enough and go the Karoo2Coast route and drop the CSA sanctioning, they seem to survive quite fine without it (although I suspect sometimes that would be a requirement from local authorities to be allowed to host a race)

My understanding is that south african national team cyclists get no financial support for flights, accommodation etc to international events from any source including CSA. Is this true?

Now you giving away your age/how long you been involved with cycling.

Hahaha yeah I'm not worried about my age at all.  

Well, technically its your choice to take part in their sanctioned race. If it was a TAX, everyone buying a bicycle would be paying for a licence, like your TV licence.

That is a kaaak analogy.

We CHOOSE to race bikes but are then FORCED to support an association that is clearly not up to the task.

Your analogy is something like this: You LOVE Jacob Zuma because you CHOOSE to live in South Africa.

When someone points a gun to you head and say hand over wallet you can CHOOSE to hand over your money and get robbed or you can CHOOSE to refuse and get shot & robbed. Simply having a choice between bad options doesn't make the situation fine.

Maybe more organisers should be brave enough and go the Karoo2Coast route and drop the CSA sanctioning, they seem to survive quite fine without it (although I suspect sometimes that would be a requirement from local authorities to be allowed to host a race)

Nobody is pointing a gun to your head? You wont die if you have a bad "argus" seeding.

I agree, races can go without the sanctioning, it depends on their needs and their goal.

Hahaha yeah I'm not worried about my age at all.  

That is a kaaak analogy.

We CHOOSE to race bikes but are then FORCED to support an association that is clearly not up to the task.

Your analogy is something like this: You LOVE Jacob Zuma because you CHOOSE to live in South Africa.

No, you have a Kaaak analogy. You choose to race your bike, that does not mean you have to do it at those races, with that sanctioning. You can race your buddy down the street as well, but you choose to take part in that race, that use a seeding system, that wants to support racing batches. Just because there is a lack of choice, does not mean there isn't any.

And you probably love diabetes as well when you choose to eat a chocolate. Stupid analogy.

Im not saying CSA is the best, but you have choices. Like instead of choosing to sit behind your laptop and moaning, you can get info of the AGM, attend and highlight your concerns. Maybe get yourself on the board and start changing something. At the moment you are just moaning for moaning sake because they stipulate on your entry that some of the funds go to CSA.

Look, CSA isn't consistent and I cant understand their decisions at times, but they are there. So you can choose to moan or choose to be active and do something about it for the love of the sport,

Im not saying CSA is the best, but you have choices. Like instead of choosing to sit behind your laptop and moaning, you can get info of the AGM, attend and highlight your concerns. Maybe get yourself on the board and start changing something. At the moment you are just moaning for moaning sake because they stipulate on your entry that some of the funds go to CSA.

Look, CSA isn't consistent and I cant understand their decisions at times, but they are there. So you can choose to moan or choose to be active and do something about it for the love of the sport,

I'm not too bothered about the CSA fleecing us out of cash at a race - my beef is that you are forced to be a member if you want to race provincials or represent your country.

TSA is equally as ***. They doubled the room rate at worlds and we were forced to pay double or not go - not a lot of choice there really. As a bonus the South African tent in the Tech Zone was completely empty - the ONLY empty tent in the zone - every other tent had support.

Nobody is pointing a gun to your head? You wont die if you have a bad "argus" seeding.

I agree, races can go without the sanctioning, it depends on their needs and their goal.

Ok maybe better examples

You don't like e-tolls - Well you can CHOOSE not to drive a car

You don't like paying your tv license because you don't watch SABC - Well you can CHOOSE not to own a tv

I see no reason why someone who cycles purely for recreation should stop moaning and get involved in cycling organisation & politics. They have every right to moan about the grudge tax they have to pay to do events, even if moaning is not going to help.

Ok maybe better examples

You don't like e-tolls - Well you can CHOOSE not to drive a car No, you can drive another road. 

You don't like paying your tv license because you don't watch SABC - Well you can CHOOSE not to own a tv Or you can stream TV on your laptop or computer.

I see no reason why someone who cycles purely for recreation should stop moaning and get involved in cycling organisation & politics. They have every right to moan about the grudge tax they have to pay to do events, even if moaning is not going to help. Because races are races, not recreation. Recreation is your club ride in the cradle every weekend. You want results, tallied against others, with rules of engagement, then you take part in some sanctioned races and pay the levies.

I'm not too bothered about the CSA fleecing us out of cash at a race - my beef is that you are forced to be a member if you want to race provincials or represent your country.

TSA is equally as ***. They doubled the room rate at worlds and we were forced to pay double or not go - not a lot of choice there really. As a bonus the South African tent in the Tech Zone was completely empty - the ONLY empty tent in the zone - every other tent had support.

I Agree that there are a lot of guys in CSA that also are doing things for themselves. Like how they have ruined the Giro del Capo, tried to host a Tour of SA, Tour de Eden, Mzanzi tour, Tour of the Freestate, etc... and all of them fail, because the guys in charge do it for their own pocket and never thought "hey, let us all trying to do our own thing come together to get one thing to work". And more with your example, the fact that our money isn't supporting national teams to represent our country.

Nope....def don't want you in our club...

My approach to clubs and associations:

If you offer value I pay to join. If I like the things that you are doing, I get more involved. I see no reason why any club should object to this and expect my involvement and my payment before offering anything of value in return.

Archived