Mtb help

jesica

Good day all

I started mtb, I did road cycling for a very long time

I reckin I was good at road cycling, with a sub 2:30 on the 94.7

So I am struggling with MTB

I can't see to ride uphills, my back wheel keep slipping and my front wheel lift. It is if I do not have enough momentum

Fitness and power is not the problem

I also struggles with downhills espcially if it is very rocky.

I have not fitted a dropper seat post yet, but sure it might help abit

If it is a not techincal course I find I do not have any issues.

Any advice will do please

Good day all

I can't see to ride uphills, my back wheel keep slipping and my front wheel lift. It is if I do not have enough momentum

Skills course?

Skills Course would be best, but try dropping your wrists when climbing, stops you from pulling the bike up when you put the power down. It helped me when i started. I dont do it anymore, only on super steep hills.

Also ask fellow riders that are on the couse for tips, or get someone that has been riding for a while, and follow them on the downhills, once you see the line they take, it would help you too.

I was pretty much in the same boat when I started mountain biking a year ago.

Over the year I got stronger with more riding. Youtude vidoes where a great help, as well watching and asking question from more experienced and skilled riders. Climbs and descents you battle on redo them until you conquer them.

A skills course is definitely on the cards for me i the near future as I only feel i am strong enough to benefit from one now.

Good day all

It is all kind of tricky.

Your back wheel is spinning essentially because you are putting to much power through the pedals with not enough weight. So to stop that you need to move your weight a little back on the saddle and then try and select the correct gear where you can have more smooth pedal strokes rather then hard pushes. However, this is a bit of an art and takes some practice, as occasionally your gear selection may be wrong or you need to push a little more than you should and things get kinda weird. I guess it comes from experience more than anything.

Try riding short technical sections repeatedly trying different gears and different ways of riding, till you get it right.

With your front wheel popping up it could be because you are pulling on your bars to much, so try relax your grip. BUT, you also need to move your body position closer to the bars to prevent the pop up from happening (and maybe also move your weight forward). So it is a balance between weight at the back to stop wheel from spinning, weight forward to stop front popping up and then also try lean closer to the front bar.

No matter what you do, it is going to hurt and your lungs will be trying to come through your ears. Experiment with a few different bike positions and see what happens. Hopefully your lungs wont come through your ears.

Position and practice...

Front wheel lifts...weight needs to move forward
Back wheel slips....weight backwards....

Although I think your tyre grip pattern can also play a role here on the back wheel....

And momentum does help a lot on both uphill and downhill...

I ride road and MTB. Sometimes I'm on the road bike for a few months and when I come back to MTB it's often like I have to learn to ride again.

The thing I always have to relearn is that on a MTB you've got to let the bike move freely beneath you, whether from side to side or fore and aft. Your road bike is your slave but your MTB is your partner...

I can't add anything about climbing that hasn't already been said but when it comes to riding down rocky descents, don't forget the benefits of loosening up (unlock elbows and knees) and look ahead. 

Good luck and keep at it!

Relax, enjoy it, take it in your stride and it will all come together.

+1

Skills course, dropper posts etc will help. But go for another few rides first, maybe an easier route. You half way there. others have to struggle with skills and fitness at the same time  :thumbup:

It is all kind of tricky.

Your back wheel is spinning essentially because you are putting to much power through the pedals with not enough weight. So to stop that you need to move your weight a little back on the saddle and then try and select the correct gear where you can have more smooth pedal strokes rather then hard pushes. However, this is a bit of an art and takes some practice, as occasionally your gear selection may be wrong or you need to push a little more than you should and things get kinda weird. I guess it comes from experience more than anything.

Try riding short technical sections repeatedly trying different gears and different ways of riding, till you get it right.

With your front wheel popping up it could be because you are pulling on your bars to much, so try relax your grip. BUT, you also need to move your body position closer to the bars to prevent the pop up from happening (and maybe also move your weight forward). So it is a balance between weight at the back to stop wheel from spinning, weight forward to stop front popping up and then also try lean closer to the front bar.

No matter what you do, it is going to hurt and your lungs will be trying to come through your ears. Experiment with a few different bike positions and see what happens. Hopefully your lungs wont come through your ears.

Another question to add to these points.

I struggled with the same when i started. 

It was mainly body position, which naturally improved once I got a proper bike fit. (I presume you haven't done it yet)

That way it allows your body to be in more natural positions for climbing.

Another thing to check, especially for the climbs, is whether your handlebars are too high relative to your saddle --> lower handle bars (in relation to the saddle) should lead to a better climbing position

The thing I always have to relearn is that on a MTB you've got to let the bike move freely beneath you, whether from side to side or fore and aft. Your road bike is your slave but your MTB is your partner...

+1

Biggest thing especially for downhills. You can't muscle rocks or gravel...

Skills Course would be best, but try dropping your wrists when climbing, stops you from pulling the bike up when you put the power down. It helped me when i started. I dont do it anymore, only on super steep hills.

Also ask fellow riders that are on the couse for tips, or get someone that has been riding for a while, and follow them on the downhills, once you see the line they take, it would help you too.

Following somebody can be a big help.

Just seeing somebody else riding through/over something might just be the confidence boost to tell the mind, "Yes it really is possible to ride over that."

• Put more weight on the front wheel and back wheel. Stay seated, move your self forward in your seat, might be uncomfortable but it is what it is. If you are lifting the front too much maybe try a lower gear so you have smoother pedaling instead. Also worth mentioning depending on the track, a slipping wheel and a little bit of lifting might happen here and there. This  isn't even 2 minutes long, I don't know too much about climbing though.
This video might help

• You were / are a roadie, this comes with confidence and experience. Try looking ahead and not right in front of your wheel. I have found that with my friends and so on they aren't looking ahead so all the rocks and stuff makes the track more of a reaction time test than actual riding. Look ahead see what is coming and choose the best line. Very important.

• A dropper post might not be the answer you are looking for. Dropper posts enhance already skilled riders in my opinion, only after a certain speed and height (jumps) will you really benefit from it. I am sure you can learn to go downhill rocky or not before needing a dropper post. I feel like there are certain skills you need to learn first, dropper post or not you can learn 'em.

Just what I think, no pro or anything.

What helped me a lot with rocky descents, besides dropping the seatpost, was riding with flat pedals.

With steep climbs, it was about moving your body weight front and back and getting that right balance between the front and back wheels, as well as the right gearing. Also noticed a difference between rear tyres. The type of tyre and amount of grip it has is also going to impact the slipping of the back wheel, and subsequently, how much much more weight you can then put on the front wheel to stop it from lifting.

Archived