My accident report

CoachShane

Hi Guys, 

Wasnt sure what to call this thread, anyways i was cycling home from soccer coaching on Saturday morning at about 11:15 (total trip is only about 6km's or so).

For those on the east rand, more so Benoni will know Mecury road(single lane road), i was coming down there at about 37 Km/h approaching a robot which was green for us, as i got to that intersection a lady in a White SUV decided to turn left, she was behind me and i assume tried to speed up to get in front of me . When she turned , she did so straight into me, putting me flat on the ground.

Luckily only had a few scratches on the arm and upper thigh. Its my first accident on a bicycle that i have ever been involved in and i must admit that as she hit me i did fear the worst, but no serious harm. After she stopped a couple 100 m's up the road she came walking down asking if she had hit me which i responded well i did not just fall over on my own. I normally am a very vigilant cyclist and try look out for everyone but this was completely out of my control. Wanted to know if anyone else experienced a similar scenario?

PS i was on a mtb so no damage to the bike which was a plus! 

Glad to hear you are OK ---

I have had quite a few experiences of people turning across me having accelerated past me which sounds like what happened to you. They simply don't see us.

Cycling has taught me as a motorist to check the left hand mirror carefully when turning left.

Some accidents happen so fast that no amount of vigilance can avoid them.

I experienced something similar some years ago but managed to take the turn with the car so no harm done.

Then about 2 years ago, I had a door flung open from a stationary car - still haven't recovered. :(

That car door opening thing is a biggie - I'm super scared of that one.

Some accidents happen so fast that no amount of vigilance can avoid them.
I experienced something similar some years ago but managed to take the turn with the car so no harm done.
Then about 2 years ago, I had a door flung open from a stationary car - still haven't recovered. :(

Sorry to hear Coach but glad that you and the bike are OK.

This sadly happens fairly often, firstly motorists don't always see us (so try dress more visibly), but I have noticed that many refuse to let a bicycle be quicker or give right of way, not sure whether it's an ego or selfishness thing.

Hi Guys, 

Wasnt sure what to call this thread, anyways i was cycling home from soccer coaching on Saturday morning at about 11:15 (total trip is only about 6km's or so).

For those on the east rand, more so Benoni will know Mecury road(single lane road), i was coming down there at about 37 Km/h approaching a robot which was green for us, as i got to that intersection a lady in a White SUV decided to turn left, she was behind me and i assume tried to speed up to get in front of me . When she turned , she did so straight into me, putting me flat on the ground.

Luckily only had a few scratches on the arm and upper thigh. Its my first accident on a bicycle that i have ever been involved in and i must admit that as she hit me i did fear the worst, but no serious harm. After she stopped a couple 100 m's up the road she came walking down asking if she had hit me which i responded well i did not just fall over on my own. I normally am a very vigilant cyclist and try look out for everyone but this was completely out of my control. Wanted to know if anyone else experienced a similar scenario?

PS i was on a mtb so no damage to the bike which was a plus! 

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but glad to hear you could walk away without serious injury or damage to the bike.  You are very very lucky.

It is however a very common thing that I experienced  in SA.  I used to commute to work and that happened countless times and in most of the cases it was deliberate.  What was here reponse? Sorry I did not see you?  I would report it to the police although you will propably not see much happening as long as it is on record.

Yeah she just looked so schocked, a good couple of cars stopped to see if i was ok which was great to see. Fortunately for her i am a extremely nice guy cause she offered me her details which i declined, bike and i were ok, in hindsight there could of been more serious injuries later which i couldnt think of. However i dont like a scene or fuss so quickly sent her on her way 

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but glad to hear you could walk away without serious injury or damage to the bike.  You are very very lucky.

It is however a very common thing that I experienced  in SA.  I used to commute to work and that happened countless times and in most of the cases it was deliberate.  What was here reponse? Sorry I did not see you?  I would report it to the police although you will propably not see much happening as long as it is on record.

this incident is very common...i have it a lot especially at parking entrances or driveways...off ramps and people turning left.

another one to watch out for..when a buss goes past on a bend...you tend to get wedged in the middle.

stop streets...while travelling down a road...i have made eye contact with the person...thinking they have seen me...yet they still pull out in front of me.

the latest one was a bakkie which carries big glass panels...they have a frame which hangs low off the side of the vehicle...lucky for me i was on the pavement and it still almost clipped me.

one which always concerns me...drivers door opening. 

not forgetting the texting drivers.

glad to hear your bike is ok ;)

this incident is very common...i have it a lot especially at parking entrances or driveways...off ramps and people turning left.

another one to watch out for..when a buss goes past on a bend...you tend to get wedged in the middle.

stop streets...while travelling down a road...i have made eye contact with the person...thinking they have seen me...yet they still pull out in front of me.

the latest one was a bakkie which carries big glass panels...they have a frame which hangs low off the side of the vehicle...lucky for me i was on the pavement and it still almost clipped me.

one which always concerns me...drivers door opening. 

not forgetting the texting drivers.

glad to hear your bike is ok ;)

Add to that guys who tow these huge trailers that are wider than the car (towing boats, etc). 

Glad you're mostly unscathed.

I've had a couple of these incidents, it's damn annoying.

Had a slightly different incident last week as well with a retard going around a pothole.

At the time I felt he could have gone to the outside and not clipped me (fortunately I stayed on the bike) but by coincidence one of my colleagues was behind this guy and came to me the next morning commenting that it was like the guy opted to aim for me.

Glad you ok Op, Something I like to do when on the road when crossing an intersection is to take the middle of the lane, use hand signals,  that way I keep the cars from turning in front of me. Thats if there is no turning lane

Sorry to hear Coach but glad that you and the bike are OK.

This sadly happens fairly often, firstly motorists don't always see us (so try dress more visibly), but I have noticed that many refuse to let a bicycle be quicker or give right of way, not sure whether it's an ego or selfishness thing.

+1

These days I tend to ride more defensively, slowing down at intersections even if its green as motorists often misjudge the speed of a bicycle thinking that its coming on at a slow speed when in actual fact we doing around 40km/h plus.

Another thing that I also do is take up the turning lane when going straight as it prevents cars from squeezing past and turning in infront of you.

Glad you are ok'ish

But more important than just being a vigilant and observant cyclist - be vigilant when in an accident, never admit or deny anything (that is if you can get up and talk), and always get the other party's details. The adrenalin is pumping, there might be an injury or cracked frame that you miss in the buzz right there.

It is astounding how "dof" some people can be. "Did I hit you?"

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Archived