Volta a Catalunya (March 19-25)

dsw

The Volta a Catalunya starts today and it should be a good indicator of the form of many of the top Grand Tour contenders.

Defending champion Alejandro Valverde will be riding for a very strong Movistar team alongside Nairo Quintano and Marc Soler.

Other top GC riders in the field include the Yates brothers, Dan Martin, Thibaut Pinot, Fabio Aru, Sergio Henau, Michael Woods and Tejay van Gardenen 

From a South African viewpoint it will be interesting to see how Louis Meintjies perform while the young Columbian climber Egan Bernal ( Team Sky), who is seen by many as a future GC winner, is also listed as a starter.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stage 6, which is next Saturday and runs from north to south, passes around 40km East of our house.

Not sure if I'm working or not and the weather forecast for Saturday is currently "Rain" but we'll pop along if we can :-)

Valverde takes the win...

He timed that perfectly..also the finish suited him..a nice long drag up to the line.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Valverde takes the win...

He timed that perfectly..also the finish suited him..a nice long drag up to the line.

So close for Impey again!! Looked like he got blocked in a bit in the last 50m..

Valverde just know how to win.

So close for Impey again!! Looked like he got blocked in a bit in the last 50m..

Valverde just know how to win.

It's going to be interesting to see how Movistar manage this..both Valverde and Quintana went for the intermediate sprint time bonuses.. ????????..

Valverde now leads GC with 4sec over Jay McCarthy.

The real sparks should start to fly tomorrow when they hit the high mountains ending with a 12 km climb averaging over 7%. 

It's going to be interesting to see how Movistar manage this..both Valverde and Quintana went for the intermediate sprint time bonuses.. ..

Valverde now leads GC with 4sec over Jay McCarthy.

Yip, Movistar looks very strong in the front riding a bit like Team Sky so often does. 

I do however expect one of the Yates brothers to attack on the last climb tomorrow and perhaps ruffle some feathers  :)  

Yip, Movistar looks very strong in the front riding a bit like Team Sky so often does.

I do however expect one of the Yates brothers to attack on the last climb tomorrow and perhaps ruffle some feathers :)

Mmm I see there may be issues with tomorrow's stage..something about snow and accessibility .

Hope it can go ahead with no issues

The weather here is mental at the moment.

Yesterday started out sunny, then it rained, then there was a snowy blizzard. Today was sunny all day but there was a biting cold wind.

Tomorrow . . . Who knows.

Yesterday started out sunny, then it rained, then there was a snowy blizzard. Today was sunny all day but there was a biting cold wind.

Yeah from what I read there is a danger of avalanche so that's why they aren't finishing on top of the last climb tomorrow.

New profile

78d2b8766f5394a3de9e6ac1ad4693a5.jpg

BeastfromtheEast

The sequel

Brrrrrr

And what a season Impey is having ????????????????????

Brilliant win by Thomas De Gendt..i mean De Beast..in the break all day and held them off....he may even find himself in the leaders jersey

6fdab0edbcd16275f32411ce94f7565f.jpg

Brilliant win by Thomas De Gendt..i mean De Beast..in the break all day and held them off....he may even find himself in the leaders jersey

6fdab0edbcd16275f32411ce94f7565f.jpg

And Lotto Soudal continue to have a great start to the season

Chapeau de Gendt ????????

Archived