What model Raleigh MTB is this?

Tiaan92

Agreed

I saw one advertised the other day for R74 000.

You got lucky here!

My bad 

Added two too many 0`s there

Pretty cool old bike though IMHO

My bad 

Added two too many 0`s there

Pretty cool old bike though IMHO

You and those fat fingers of yours. 

Looking at the pics that bike looks well looked after.

Having said that I cannot believe the comments here and some from seasoned hubbers. 

Lighten up Scotty  :w00t:

Was just kidding around, we all said sorry

Interesting story on this bike, I remember Fritz Pienaar (a multiple national champ at the time and Team Mazda Drifter captain) saying he could get a top 10 in a national classic no problem on this bike... They were around R2300 new if I recall - great value at the time.

I'm not sure the bet ever came to fruition though  :blush: 

It's not a classic bike of much value at all I am afraid - but if it gives someone out there some enjoyment and use, you could certainly call that value  :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

I came across this thread while searching for the specs on the suspension of this bike. I have one of these and it has gotten me through a couple of rides and races, but I feel it might not be up to anything more technical (I did East rand classic and 947 mtb short). Is it worth it to spend any money on a bike like this (tubeless upgrade, upgrading gears), or rather save up for something a bit more modern?

I came across this thread while searching for the specs on the suspension of this bike. I have one of these and it has gotten me through a couple of rides and races, but I feel it might not be up to anything more technical (I did East rand classic and 947 mtb short). Is it worth it to spend any money on a bike like this (tubeless upgrade, upgrading gears), or rather save up for something a bit more modern?

I wouldn't bother upgrading any parts unless they can be transfered to a different frame when you finally upgrade that to.

If you are happy with 26" wheels, which are great in my opinion then rather look out for a well specc'd 2hnd 26er in the classifieds, you can pick up one for not much more than R5k with just about top of the range everything and if you are lucky with very little wear. Then sell the Rayleigh for a few bucks to put in the kitty.

Those were one of the first efforts that Raleigh did locally when they were trying to up their image, and have a more premium range available.

Launched right before the first batch of RC2000/RC3000 road bikes came out, I think around 2002-ish.

However, that one, was the bottom of the range still - so you go yourself a bike that is on par with the Avalanche Reflex bikes of the same era.