How much is it worth?

tbagger

Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying my first full suspension mtb. Been riding hard tails for years. 

I've come across this Scott Genius MC40 and quite like the look of it. It looks like it's in decent nick. No aftermarket parts though, all original apparently.

It's a 2008 though. 26" wheels. Medium-size frame.

Any ideas what I should be paying for something like this? I don't want to get ripped off. I've attached a pic.

post-125252-0-40770300-1523780218_thumb.jpg

R5k maybe?

Could you say why exactly? Is it build quality, age, wheel size? Some things (for example 26" wheels) I'm willing to overlook. I'm only 65kg and 1.69m so I prefer 26", but if it's because you're experience with the Genius is that it's rubbish then that would raise a flag. They're asking 600 Euros btw, which is closer to R9k.

(for some reason second hand bikes in Europe are a lot more expensive than SA - generally - anyone know why?)

Could you say why exactly? Is it build quality, age, wheel size? Some things (for example 26" wheels) I'm willing to overlook. I'm only 65kg and 1.69m so I prefer 26", but if it's because you're experience with the Genius is that it's rubbish then that would raise a flag. They're asking 600 Euros btw, which is closer to R9k.

(for some reason second hand bikes in Europe are a lot more expensive than SA - generally - anyone know why?)

age ( bearings will be shot , small chance they could be new )

Old geo

old components 

replacement parts will be hard to find 

old standards 

Suppose the market for 2hnd bikes is bigger in Eu and they are perhaps intelligent enough to appreciate that a great 26er is still a great 26er no matter what other wheel sizes are now available.

On an old bike like that make sure the fork and rear shock are 100% working and have been recently serviced, if either is in doubt take that fact very seriously and if necessary make a far lower offer or walk away. Just the cost of doing a major service on both will easily add up to a third of R9k nevermind if one or both turn out to be toast, then you'll just have a box of bike bits or another R6k odd to spend on a new fork and shock.

The pivots may also need to be replaced, also not cheap.

And before paying inspect the frame literally with a magnifying glass for cracks, not sure how susceptible those frames are but it's not uncommon for modern frames to develop hairline cracks after all that time.

Lastly check the condition of the drive train, the chain may not be slipping but it could be on its last chain and hence all need replacing at R3-4k odd.

I'm not very positive on old dual sus bikes. Geo wasn't always lekka and suspension designs(not all and not sure on the Genius)....well.... Let's just say we've come a long way in 10 years.....

age ( bearings will be shot , small chance they could be new )

Old geo

old components 

replacement parts will be hard to find 

old standards 

Thanks man! Also gives something to go back to them with and see if they'll be reasonable with the price.

Really appreciate it.

Could you say why exactly?

A lot has changed in the full suspension market in the last 10yrs. You better off looking for 2011-12 onward bikes.

I still love my 26" Giant Trance, its a 2011-2012 and if you look at the technologies for example on the models 2-3yrs before, lots had changed in design and technologies.

There is also the obvious things that have been said like spares, pivot bearings etc. even things like shock pivots get pricey and availability is a problem, there was a thread floating around just this week.

SOMETHING BIG TO CONSIDER:

That seems to be A pull shock rather than A conventional push/squish shock ( i.e. linkage pulls away from it self rather than moves forward between two mounting points )

These are much more complicated and could be nearly impossible to rebuild or repair nevermind service 

SOMETHING BIG TO CONSIDER:

That seems to be A pull shock rather than A conventional push/squish shock ( i.e. linkage pulls away from it self rather than moves forward between two mounting points )

These are much more complicated and could be nearly impossible to rebuild or repair nevermind service

You're right - it is a pull shock on that model. Very good reason most manufacturers have moved away from them - impossible to find replacement parts or someone that can service them. That would be an immediate no-go for me.

Wow. Thank you all so much. This is super helpful. Will consider all of the above. Looking at the difference in price between here (Germany) and SA, I'm half considering buying something back home and shipping it.

Archived