[Event] Darling Brew Extreme 2018

DBX2018

I see that there will be two days of racing next year.  hopefully the 50km and 70km won't get caught in a jam again

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that there will be two days of racing next year.  hopefully the 50km and 70km won't get caught in a jam again

I personally thought the organisers got it just right this year, with something for the whole family and across the talent spectrum. 

Yes, there was some congestion, but never such that you had to uncleat. 

I did the 30km, and my wife the 70km. We both said we hope the routes and event remains unchanged next year. That's why entries are limited.

i had to uncleat because some idiots couldn't ride over a two metre stretch of (flat) rocks.  by this time we were in a long line going up a ST climb, so i couldn't help but spew out some expletives at them.

at wolwefontein i had to resort to riding over the grass as another poephol kept hanging on his brakes on this barely technical ST.  it didn't spoil the day entirely, but it did grind me a bit.  thank goodness for the water/beer tables which meant that a lot of people pulled out of my way and i could go at my own pace.

i had to uncleat because some idiots couldn't ride over a two metre stretch of (flat) rocks.  by this time we were in a long line going up a ST climb, so i couldn't help but spew out some expletives at them.

at wolwefontein i had to resort to riding over the grass as another poephol kept hanging on his brakes on this barely technical ST.  it didn't spoil the day entirely, but it did grind me a bit.  thank goodness for the water/beer tables which meant that a lot of people pulled out of my way and i could go at my own pace.

You too was once an 'idiot' when starting to mtb. I started in A batch bone crusher and stuck to the front quarter and experienced no traffic or 'idiots' as you call them. Maybe you need to work on your fitness and up your seeding for this race.

I personally liked the previous years route better. The timing was also messed. I know of some of my riding buddies time that was mistakenly slashed by 1 hour. They said that the time keeping guy shouted out 4hrs something instead of 5hrs something....

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know whether there are timed results for this event? and if so... my googling obviously sucks so if you could be so kind as to post a link  :whistling:

Route markings could have been better in a couple of places.  Started in B Batch myself and nearly missed the same turn as the A Batch okes did because when I came past that spot the split board was next to the road up against the fence instead of in the road.  Luckily I saw a black/yellow arrow in the field when I glanced back to check the gap and made a quick U-turn, it was only then when a marshal saw me riding wrong that the board got moved to the correct spot.

The other one that p!$$ed me off was that one before you had to turn down to the DH in the trees where everyone seemed to cut across the grass.  The board was pointing to the field (which was wrong and misleading).  There seemed to have been a chalk line one upon a time (that is why I hate it when they use chalk, it doesn't last) to guide you to go down to the DH section.  Doing the full route and then finding yourself being passed by the okes that in essence took a short cut and not correct their invalid spots kinda p!$$ed me off and invalidates the results.

Adding to the above was the fact that I also kinda got stuck in the very last bit of single track  behind a short route rider as the tracks merged in the reeds (luckily it is a short section but still something the guys doing the full route had to content with that the short cut okes didn't). But yea it is not ideal to have long and short distances merge into single track close to the end of a race as you will inadvertently end up with a bottleneck situation and possibly p!$$ing people off.