Choice of entry level road bike

batman69

Hi guys,

I am in the market for an entry level road bike.

I've narrowed my options to the following 2 from that which is available online for sale:

Raleigh RC1000 53cm at R2000 Merida 901 Racelite 53cm at R400

A local cycle shop has measured me at 52cm.

Both bikes have alluminium frames. The meridia has a carbon fork. Both are in good condition.

Is the R2000 extra for the meridia justifed.

Also does the size of the bike at 53cm compromise anything seeing as I've been measured at 52cm.

Thank you

I had a merida 903 as my first road bike. So similar to what you are looking at. Great bikes that do everything as advertised.

My vote is for the Merida.

I had a merida 903 as my first road bike. So similar to what you are looking at. Great bikes that do everything as advertised.

My vote is for the Merida.

Thanks Duan.

Depends on the components. The Rc1000 is a good frame but will most probably have very old 8 speed components.

Whether it is worth spending the extra 2k would depend on the components (groupset and wheels etc) of the Merida.

With regard to the size of the frame, an extra centimetre or two on the top tube can make a big difference but that can be compensated by changing the stem length.

It all depends on your height and reach, I think a 52cm is classified as a small/medium and 50cm classified as small.

I just about fit onto a 52cm frame(Im 1.67m in height) so a frame with a 53cm top tube will most likely be too big or uncomfortable for me.

Edited by Mountain_Goat

Depends on the components. The Rc1000 is a good frame but will most probably have very old 8 speed components.

Whether it is worth spending the extra 2k would depend on the components (groupset and wheels etc) of the Merida.

With regard to the size of the frame, an extra centimetre or two on the top tube can make a big difference but that can be compensated by changing the stem length.

It all depends on your height and reach, I think a 52cm is classified as a small/medium and 50cm classified as small.

I just about fit onto a 52cm frame(Im 1.67m in height) so a frame with a 53cm top tube will most likely be too big or uncomfortable for me.

Hi. Thanks. The meridia has a

Shimano Sora groupset.

I'm. 1,73m in height.

Suppose I'll have to get onto a 53cm bike and test it relating to reach and comfort..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Guys, I've just come across a Trek hybrid 7300 FX at R2000. This looks tempting as it gives me an off road option as well. Not sure how well it will fare as a road bike.

I'd advise against a hybrid, they are only good for commuting or touring.

They are terrible on anything but smooth gravel roads and they are not a compromise for a road bike.

Out of your original two options as mentioned by others the two frames will bd quit similar, so the groupset and wheels will be the deal sealer.

You say the Merida has a Sora groupset, is it the newer 9spd Sora? And what groupset does the Raleigh have?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I vote for the Merida at R400 ????

Just kidding.

Merida it will be.

Edited by Bloukrans

Just be careful, sizing varies from brand to brand. If a bike shop has measured you at a 52, you are probably looking at a small. That is assuming they have measured you on standard sizing.

Raleigh went through various frame manufacturers over the years all with different sizing. Depending on the model, their 53 could be a medium or even a large.

I'm not too clued up on Merida, but considering that they are compact frames, a 53 is probably a medium.

If this is the case, both bikes are too big for you.

In original spec, the Merida is a better buy, but without knowing their condition, age and whether they have original spec, it is difficult to comment on whether one is a better bike.

An older Merida with SORA parts will not be worth R4000, but a recent one with the new 9 speed could be worth more than R4000

Ok so the Merida was sold on Sunday

The Raleigh RC 1000 is still available.

There is also a trek pilot 1.2

The trek has a Shimano 105 group set. The Raleigh has a Shimano Sora group set. Which is better.

Thanks

105 is better than Sora like for like but you also need to look at the year models to determine this as a very old 105 won't be better than a 2-3 year newer Sora.

Okdoki

I have 50 cm silverback in the classifieds if you are interested.

Edit, i see you are 1.73, my bike would be to small.

Edited by Breezer