Colnago Gravel Bike

hweich

I have posted a review on my first gravel Colnago on the forum a few years back but the bike was a Cyclocross frame designed with only thing in mind: getting Sven Nuys around world cup courses as quickly [and uncomfortably] as possible.

The frame broke and the friendly people at Santam provided me with the option of an upgrade. As luck would have it, Campagnolo launched their Hydraulic groupsets at the same time - providing me with the opportunity to fix the other major gripe i had with the old bike: ornamental brakes.

Before i bore you with details i think its important to give credit where it is due: i imported my first Colnago from abroad and this one was bought from the local distributor [Alpine Sports]. The price was comparable to the imported one and the service is out of this world. Mark Nel delivered the frame to my work and when i developed a problem with it, he gave me a selection of his own bikes to ride while the problem was  sorted out. It would be silly to use anybody else imho.

post-74433-0-36838000-1526471309_thumb.jpg

• Frame:
    • Colnago prestige monocoque carbon.
    • Internal cable routing enabled a crucial improvement over the old bike: i can run a full length cable housing from shifter to derailleur which solved the problem of dust/mud affecting my shifting. 
    • frame designed to take UCI legal 33mm tires but i can safely run a 40mm front and 38mm at the back [provided wheels are stiff].
    • sloping frame enabled long 27mm seatpost which has HUGE flex so comfort is vastly improved over old bike.
  • Groupset
    • minimal thinking went into this: Campagnolo has two levels of hydraulic disc brakes and i went for carbon...because it is so pretty.
    • Stages crank arm power meter

post-74433-0-43193800-1526471271_thumb.jpg

• gearing is an issue: go as light as you can for off road climbing. 50/34 crank and 11-29 cassette but with my medium cage derailleur i can also put on 11-32 if i need to

post-74433-0-57320800-1526471336_thumb.jpg

• Wheels:  you are a bit limited with Campag cassettes and disc brakes at this stage but i intend abusing the wheels a bit and up to now the Zonda set i have has been very impressive: not the lightest but serviceable hubs, super stiff and has taken some very rough terrain in their stride.
  • Tires: after trying quite a few i have settled on Schwalbe G-one for now. Not the most durable but very good in all other respects.

PS- gravels bikes are not better than a hard-tail 29er on bad surfaces. in my opinion it is the versatility as a road bike that I need. So with road wheels it becomes a proper road bike:

post-74433-0-78808900-1526726243_thumb.jpg

Edited by hweich

• 4 weeks later...

I have posted a review on my first gravel Colnago on the forum a few years back but the bike was a Cyclocross frame designed with only thing in mind: getting Sven Nuys around world cup courses as quickly [and uncomfortably] as possible.

The frame broke and the friendly people at Santam provided me with the option of an upgrade. As luck would have it, Campagnolo launched their Hydraulic groupsets at the same time - providing me with the opportunity to fix the other major gripe i had with the old bike: ornamental brakes.

Before i bore you with details i think its important to give credit where it is due: i imported my first Colnago from abroad and this one was bought from the local distributor [Alpine Sports]. The price was comparable to the imported one and the service is out of this world. Mark Nel delivered the frame to my work and when i developed a problem with it, he gave me a selection of his own bikes to ride while the problem was  sorted out. It would be silly to use anybody else imho.

attachicon.gifIMG_0967.jpg

• Frame:
    • Colnago prestige monocoque carbon.
    • Internal cable routing enabled a crucial improvement over the old bike: i can run a full length cable housing from shifter to derailleur which solved the problem of dust/mud affecting my shifting. 
    • frame designed to take UCI legal 33mm tires but i can safely run a 40mm front and 38mm at the back [provided wheels are stiff].
    • sloping frame enabled long 27mm seatpost which has HUGE flex so comfort is vastly improved over old bike.
  • Groupset
    • minimal thinking went into this: Campagnolo has two levels of hydraulic disc brakes and i went for carbon...because it is so pretty.
    • Stages crank arm power meter

attachicon.gifIMG_0966.jpg

• gearing is an issue: go as light as you can for off road climbing. 50/34 crank and 11-29 cassette but with my medium cage derailleur i can also put on 11-32 if i need to

attachicon.gifIMG_0969.jpg

• Wheels:  you are a bit limited with Campag cassettes and disc brakes at this stage but i intend abusing the wheels a bit and up to now the Zonda set i have has been very impressive: not the lightest but serviceable hubs, super stiff and has taken some very rough terrain in their stride.
  • Tires: after trying quite a few i have settled on Schwalbe G-one for now. Not the most durable but very good in all other respects.

PS- gravels bikes are not better than a hard-tail 29er on bad surfaces. in my opinion it is the versatility as a road bike that I need. So with road wheels it becomes a proper road bike:

attachicon.gifIMG_0971.jpg

Hi hweich - I signed up to this forum just because of your post. Your bike is very similar to what I want to build up.

You mentioned 38mm tires will fit the rear. How much space is between the chainstays and the tire? Perhaps you do have a picture from below? Are these G-Ones 38mm?

Did you get a chance to weigh the frame? I only see 1050g stated on Colnago's site. I don't know if this is the naked frame or with axles and other small parts included? Any knowledge of the fork's weight?

What size is your frame? Is toe overlap with the front wheel an issue?

Thanks for any input.

• 2 months later...

hweich,

You mentioned that the frame of your previous CX bike broke. Is that this one? 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/263220-colnago-prestige-cross-with-powermeter/

I'm asking because I found a very reasonably priced 58cm frame like that one there and the seller says that it has not been broken. What are the odds that it's your old one? 

Thanks in advance. 

errm seller is the OP.

I'm sure there is a logical explanation.....

• 8 months later...

hweich,

You mentioned that the frame of your previous CX bike broke. Is that this one? 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/263220-colnago-prestige-cross-with-powermeter/

I'm asking because I found a very reasonably priced 58cm frame like that one there and the seller says that it has not been broken. What are the odds that it's your old one? 

Thanks in advance. 

that is my bike

the BB shell came loose so have a look there

Hi hweich - I signed up to this forum just because of your post. Your bike is very similar to what I want to build up.

You mentioned 38mm tires will fit the rear. How much space is between the chainstays and the tire? Perhaps you do have a picture from below? Are these G-Ones 38mm?

Did you get a chance to weigh the frame? I only see 1050g stated on Colnago's site. I don't know if this is the naked frame or with axles and other small parts included? Any knowledge of the fork's weight?

What size is your frame? Is toe overlap with the front wheel an issue?

Thanks for any input.

the scwalbe g-one tire is labelled 40mm but its actually a 38. there is very little room at the back [1,5mm on either side] which is fine as long as your wheel doesn.t have much sideways play.

You won't find a light colnago- it's not an issue for them so this is not a light bike. 1050 is for the frame only. don't knwo fork weight. my bike weighs about 9kg.

frame sixe is 52sloping [you can add 6cm to that to get standard size].

Toe rub is an issue- its got a very short wheelbase

best bike i ever owned

• 3 months later...

Hey there - just acquired my own size 49C & am wondering if you have experienced any issues with the Press-Fit BB86? I always worry with Press-Fit and am super disappointed it's not a threaded BB.

Also, was the BB covered, are the wires exposed below the BB? One other purchaser from another forum told me his BB came exposed - I suspect he was missing the cover...