Doubling of cholesterol levels in only 11 months - chlorinated pools?

Thank you for the post. I was hoping to get a bit more information.

Do you swim there +-3hours a week, have you done so continuously for the last 10 months. Have you had a cholesterol check in the last month?

I am interested in data supporting or refuting Dr. Price's proposition. He purports that the continual scarring of the arteries/veins caused by the chlorine, and the cholesterol layering the scars as the cause for the high LDL cholestrol.

Breaking the cycle with weeks of no swimming, or swimming in open water will allow the arteries to heal and cholesterol levels to lower.

Around 4 times a week for the last 6 years. Twice a week for about 2 hours at a time, twice a week for an hour. Summer time is a real problem as there are loads of kids in the pool in the afternoon, Friday is the busy day and so the staff load the pool with chlorine. It sometimes affects my lungs not sure why only sometimes, perhaps air/water temp. keeps the chlorine close to the surface?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eddie I have been swimming from the age of 5 more than 5 hours a week until 18 and then again from 24 now I swim about 4 hours a week.

I ask again how much pool water are you taking in??? Last night I swam 3k and think I got a drop of pool water in my mouth. Maybe you must work on your breathing tech in lieu of medical advice.

Sounds to me that you are convinced and will block out and ignore any other theories... selective reading to fit what you want it to be..  An yes I swim 3hrs+ in a pool without elevated cholesterol as am also a triathlete.

Edit:  It is probably due to a combination of things and most likely the increase in carbs for all the training needed

:)

You are right. I am trying to find evidence to either refute or support Dr. Price's book. All the other causes of cholesterol have been published widely.

As a triathlete, have you observed how many triathletes struggle with high cholesterol on said forums? Without appropriate explanation. It does not seem to make sense as triathletes are generally some of the fittest people around.

:)

Thank you for sharing your results above. It refutes his theory.

Eddie I have been swimming from the age of 5 more than 5 hours a week until 18 and then again from 24 now I swim about 4 hours a week.I ask again how much pool water are you taking in??? Last night I swam 3k and think I got a drop of pool water in my mouth. Maybe you must work on your breathing tech in lieu of medical advice.

Thank you. I will definitely concentrate on my breathing going forward. I've also found a gym where the smell of chlorine is not that excessive.

So should you be worried if your cholesterol is elevated?

If your cholesterol is high, you need to find the reason.

As I mentioned, the vast majority of cholesterol in your body was made in your liver.  Cholesterol production increases when the body is under stress: emotional stress can cause elevated cholesterol because the stress hormone cortisol is made out of cholesterol. Physical stress on the body can also elevate cholesterol. Because cholesterol helps to repair and heal your body, you will produce more if there is a great deal of inflammation occurring in your body. So all those factors above that raise inflammation, can raise your cholesterol too.

Therefore the cure for elevated cholesterol can be quite simple – lower the inflammation and you’ll also lower the cholesterol.

https://www.liverdoctor.com/dont-worry-about-cholesterol-inflammation-is-your-biggest-problem/

Your estrogen levels are high... [emoji16]

Don’t add new variables. This is confusing as it is

Don’t add new variables. This is confusing as it is

Once a girl... always a... ☻☻☻

Archived