[Event] Funky Fynbos 2 Day MTB

Naomi4

Event Name: Funky Fynbos 2 Day MTB
When: 22 September 2018 - 23 September 2018
Where: Lomond Wine Estate, Western Cape
Category: MTB

Come do the FUNKY! Choose your distance and ride on some of the most picturesque and exciting mountain trails in the Western Cape.

• Funky Challenge 2-day stage race - R600
    • Day 1 - (22 September) - 50km
    • Day 2 - (23 September) - 45km

[*]Funky Monster 1 day MTB (22 Sept)- 50km - R280

[*]Funky lap race (22 Sept)

• 24km - R200
    • 16km - R150
    • 8km - R50

Or be our Ysterman or Ystervrou and do the MTB on the Saturday and the Trail Run on the Sunday!

https://www.entryninja.com/events/event/30962-funky-fynbos-combo

The Funky Challenge stage race requires an above average level of fitness and technical skills and traverses some of the most beautiful private farms within the Walker Bay conservancy, and is only available to ride on race days. The trails offer a little of everything, tough climbs and switchbacks, great single track, fast exhilarating descents and a 2km fun gravity finish with jumps and berms to rest your legs into the finish (chicken runs available).

The Funky Monster, 50km of tough ascents and fast descents with a 2km fun finish. Great scenic rewards in pristine fynbos and a once a year opportunity to ride/ race these trails which finishes with a 2km fun gravity finish including jumps and berms to rest your legs into the finish (chicken runs available). Times to be beat and course bests to be set, book now. Requires a good level of fitness and technical skill levels.

The FUNKY Lap Races, 8, 16, 24 km raced on an 8km loop with fun obstacles and challenging climbs rewarded with a fun gravity driven finish. Choose your distance and go for it. Relatively easy 8km loop, requiring time in the seat the more laps you do. Just remember this is the Gansbaai routes and it is not without challenging climbs…rewarded with fun downhills

Race entries include timing, race refreshments & waterpoints, marshalling, route markings and after race chill space with great food and award winning wines and local craft beers.

Cash prizes valued over R6000

#KeepinTouch to get more information about accommodation options, activities and family fun events for the weekend. #comedotheFunky

More information: https://xplorio.com/gansbaai/funky-fynbos-festival/

Go to Event Page

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would have loved to do this, but K2C...

Nice for the 98% of cyclists in the WC NOT doing the K2C to have an alternative option that weekend - other organisers avoid that date like the the plague!

Edited by Skubarra

I did the one 50km 2y ago. Was a proper challenge. Keen to come back this year.

Doing both days. Tough but absolutely beautiful ride. Should be a lovely weekend

I did the one 50km 2y ago. Was a proper challenge. Keen to come back this year.

Since then quite a lot has happened - two new sections of single track has been built.

The first is a 10km loop you will do as you leave Lomond - a long single track climb that will surprise you every now and then with fun little sections and switchbacks.  The views are also sublime.  The downhill is fun, and if you are a little daring even more so. 

The second klipspringer loop (with some fun bits added) will hopefully also have some single track added, but the new piece we did last year are the Goedvertrouw switchbacks which replaces a long steep hill.  Fun and with some easier sections.  I'll see if I can dig up some photos :)

The proteas and pincushions are in full bloom, and the heather has also made an early appearance with all the concomitant birds.

Cant wait. Lovely weekend away, 2 mornings of gorgeous cross country riding.... life is good.

Rode the new section this last weekend - still needs a bit of work but pretty sure it will be ready for the Funky.  Will be quite a nice surprise for those use to the open slog up 215.  I think we will call it tunnel vision :)

Quite a few folk seem to miss this bench - if you are having a rustige ride have a seat and enjoy the view.  At the top of the 12km loop......

post-16484-0-91093100-1533626790_thumb.jpg