How do I stop chafe related crotch rot?

HammerHed

I have been getting chafed by my Specialized and Cape Strom lycra shorts after a ride, both are good quality chamois, this has become a rash which won't go away.

Is this now a fungal thing or what, anyone had a similar experience?

How do I get rid of it.

Sounds gross, but it only hurts after a shower and is a slight discomfort.

How old are the shorts, my Cape Storm shorts were great and then suddenly started giving me problems. The solution get new shorts or use a chamois cream (applied to the chamois, not your junk)

I recall Balthazar had a similar problem earlier this year...and received lots of helpful tips. maybe search for that thread??

I recall Balthazar had a similar problem earlier this year...and received lots of helpful tips. maybe search for that thread??

Tx fiasm, will do.

My shorts are both about a year old, but done quite a few k's.

Maybe time to upgrade again, jeez they both cost me about R650 each not cheap to replace every year.

Does the chamois cream come out easily after a wash?

I get the image in my mind of having permanently greasy chamois after applying cream to it once.

HH, I don't think it's a problem with the shorts. They can and should last for years. Just always get out of them promptly after a ride and wash them according to instructions. I recall (and can attest to this also) that a nappy rash cream (it's the zinc) works very well in this area. Otherwise, check with your doc.

I recall (and can attest to this also) that a nappy rash cream (it's the zinc) works very well in this area. Otherwise' date=' check with your doc.[/quote']

I been using my kids Micastatin nappy rash cream, does not help now trying Tinaderm (fungal foot cream), my &*llocks smell like athletes foot after using this cream.smiley36.gif Probably why my wife is keeping clear at the moment!smiley36.gif

Will look out for the zinc nappy rash cream, I am sure I got some in the cupboard.

After a shower and before a ride clean area with surgical spirits. Steal some of those pad cotton wool thingys. Use Assos chamois cream as it has an anti-fungal agent.

And for Pete's sake wash your shorts between rides.LOL

1.Get out of shorts asap after ride.

2.I chuck mine in the normal wash cycle with normal skip liquid detergent.No Softener.

3.Double rinse to get rid of all soap.

4.Hang on the line in the sun

Never use shammy  cream.Just Nivia on my butt.

Hey presto no lurgi

Ask Holy, he's a part time gynae. Dead. Seriously, I rub tea tree oil on my undercarriage after every shower and that seems to do the trick.

Same problem with my cape storm pants hammerhed....just suddenly they give rash...and they were my best pants... and i only have done about 2000km over year with them......and yes i do wash my pants after each ride!!! hehe

So ja, i don't use those pants anymore....ride with my old ones again....more of sore bum after ride but thats better then a permenant rash

Originally posted by Hammerhed:

Sounds gross, but it only hurts after a shower and is a slight discomfort.

--

Stop showering. Wink

Seriously though, I don't think it's your shorts. If you only experience it after riding in a specific pair, then maybe you could blame the shorts. Have you switched to a new washing powder recently? Are your shorts being rinsed properly to rid them of any soap? Does it occur on days you don't ride?

Have you switched to a new washing powder recently? Are your shorts being rinsed properly to rid them of any soap? Does it occur on days you don't ride?

I have been chafed after riding for the last few months but goes away after a day or so, but I last rode on Saturday and Sunday, so suspect it has literally grown into something else.

Man I am going to hit the shower now and apply whatever I can lay my hands on. Getting more itchy the more I talk about it.smiley36.gif