Help me choose an electronic Speedo for my MTB

Wayneman

I should have a Cateye wireless one for you for R200 which will be perfect. It shows time, riding time, speed, average speed etc. Let me know if you're keen and I'll scratch for it, I have either 3 or 4 lying around.

Send me a PM if you're keen.

Im in Joburg, so that GPs on the Classifieds wont work for me - thanks anyways.

There you go, and CAAD4 is in Jhb

I have dug them out, so anyone else looking for a great wireless computer, I have a few used Cateye Micro Wireless CC- MC100W units available for R200 each. No issues with interference and Cateye quality. The newer version seems to go for R895.00.

PM me if you're interested.

Unless you're navigating and need to know distances, what do you want with all that info?

Get on you bike, ride, forget, ride some more.

I think you should just get simple wired bike computer, they dont cost a lot and it will tell you how far you still have to ride in your race, but you should always count on about 3km extra because route planners always lie (nicely).

I had all those wired, non-wired, gps thingies. Now I use a simple computer, most of all it tells me the time and then I know when I have to be home otherwise the people at home start getting cross when I stay out too long, especially if the sun is going down.

My recommendations are Sigma, Blackburn, Cateye - just choose the cheapest which tells the time properly.

Enjoy your race.

Beware of wireless computers. I had 2 including a cat eye. When i was eiding with my friends wit their garmins my computers lost signal. Rather get a wired one. Or safe yourself a upgrade in the next year and get a lyzane gps.

My toppie bought me my first ever garmin edge 205 in 2005. It was brand new to the market and I was one of the first to have one. That thing was awesome, a brick, but awesome. I raved about it and did many happy kilos with it. I told my toppie he must also get one but he stuck with his trusty cat-eye. Then in 2011 it sadly passed away and that was when I first stepped foot into navworld, they were still in laser park honeydew. Asked them if they could revive my trusty old 205. Sadly the guy said no. I walked out of there with a brand new 500 that I paid next to nothing for. I missed the 205 but the 500 was at the end of the day and upgrade. I once again told my toppie he must get a garmin but still he stuck with his trusty cat-eye. Then in 2012 I hear about this app called strava. I join and start using it, it was still newish(although it was launched in 2009 it took a while to get going here) and segments were few and far between with very few attempts and in some cases not even a full top 10 leaderboard. I ended up getting a few KOMs. There was a segment up a hill that my toppie rode just about every day and I was sitting 2nd. He got on his bike and timed himself manually and not only beat my time but the KOM. I told him if it's not on strava it didn't happen. The next day he bought himself a garmin :lol:

Unless you're navigating and need to know distances, what do you want with all that info?

Get on you bike, ride, forget, ride some more.

well.. that depends

i do lots of riding alone, often heading back home 50km's against a headwind...  on a quiet day i'd average 30+km/h and on a bad one around 25km/h.  Being able to compare HR, segment times, power, etc. keeps me sane during those lonely rides.

Nothing as demoralizing as heading towards the peak of your training and then losing 30 minutes to your PB on a 3h somehing ride...  If you have the numbers to compare, you can at least feel good about riding 20km/h on a downhill stretch without doubting your training and your form.

If I ride in a great new place on my mtb, looking at nature or chatting away with friends, then i agree with you, the need for numbers, stats and strava and all of that falls out of the window.

Don't know you budget, but in any case:

Wahoo Fitness Element Mini Bike Computer R1199

https://www.takealot.com/wahoo-fitness-element-mini-bike-computer/PLID47173506

Wahoo element mini is the bike computer for those that want max data in a mini package. Element mini comes with two connection options: phone free mode and phone mode. In both modes, the element mini pairs seamlessly with the wahoo RPM speed sensor included in the box, as well as other wahoo heart rate monitors and cadence sensors. It works with our free element companion app that allows you to set up your data fields, customize profiles, track performance, and share ride data effortlessly - no more confusing menus.

Archived