Desert Dash 2018

sias

Windhoek is vrek warm, Swakop is vrek cold. Nights are freezing, but you should be fine with arm warmers

Bigger concern is the harsh light when coming out of the parking area and dust for the rest. A decent set of spec is a must

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To the veteran Desert Dashers: I have no problem with the distance - YOH, I wish I was that confident!! What other long distance events have you done?

I just want to be more knowledgeable about the temperature variances. It will be 35°C plus in Windhoek and  it goes down to about 4-6°C when you approach Bloedkopje. I just put on a thermal top when I get there and then usually take it off at Goanikontes. Your seconding team should wrap up warmly here.

• 2 weeks later...

Team did stage 1, 2, 3 and 4 over the weekend. What a shock. Started Stage 1 at 2 p.m. Managed 12km before calling it quits. 39 degrees, blisters all over my arm and started vomiting. Sat in the vehicle for 3km and felt a little better. Managed to at least finish the rest of stage 1 and 4km of stage 2.

Departed for stage 3 the next morning at 5:30 am. Less heat, but still pretty harsh at around 8 already. Called it quits at 50km. Still had a bit left in the tank, but my head started playing games with me.

I most definitely need to do some emergency training the next 5 weeks 

You are in very deep doo-doo! :eek:  :eek:

Been training super hard, was very disappointed with my performance. Last year I finished Stage 1 like it was a social ride and I trained less than this year.

Blisters on your skin and puking that early means something was wrong and then not managing to finish stage 3 the next day? I think you came down with some or other bug...

I know it not even possible for most of the participants in the DASH. 

Most does not live in Windhoek. 

But this is why we  do quite a few rides in the middle of the day on Kupferberg  a month or two before the Dash. 

Some really  good riders, very well prepared,  pitch of from a totally different climate and on the day,  the 43 CDeg and 2000 meter elevation of Kupferberg  just "blkesems" them. 

Edited by IH8MUD

I know it not even possible for most of the participants in the DASH. 

Most does not live in Windhoek. 

But this is why we  do quite a few rides in the middle of the day on Kupferberg  a month or two before the Dash. 

Some really  good riders, very well prepared,  pitch of from a total different climate and on the day,  the 43 CDeg and 2000 meter elevation of Kupferberg  just "blkesems" them. 

I think your problem is heat management not training.

We are all from the coast, drove down Saturday morning and started riding. I also believe it's a climate/heat issue. Regardless, I'll put in some serious miles just in case

I managed a very good ride on Sunday - 145km with some climbing, some heat and a LOT of wind. 

You're proper fit, that's the difference :D

Nou is ek banger as wat ek was ...

Doen jy solo? Dan kan jy maar bang wees, dis dood normaal.