Invader 12 speed

ZeusB9

Hi all,

I have received an old "Invader 12 speed" which a family member rode 20+ years ago. Unfortunately, it was sitting in pieces in someone's garage. I am looking to see if I can get this bike rideable again.

Does anyone know if parts are still available for it or what alternate parts would fit? I am looking to replace the chain, possibly the derailers (currently Sunrace), it will need a new set of brakes, and respoke or replace of the rims.

Thanks

Edited by ZeusB9

Is it something like this? https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/153881-steel-classic-12-speed-invader-56cm-price-drop/

Not sure which parts will fit, but someone here will know.

You can have a look in the classifieds here or on some of the Facebook groups, search for bicycles spares, vintage, etc.

Yes, it is something very similar to that. Will search the classifieds and Facebook groups to see what I can find. Thanks.

My brother had an invader, weren't they glorified Pnp specials, probably not worth spending much money on?

Not sure but they could have been. Will be nice to get it rideable though (without spending a huge amount)

If my memory serves me correctly it was a PnP special. Two tone paint jobs that blended into each other.

They may even have been with the shifters on the stem and extensions to the brake levers so you could use the brakes without putting your hands on the hoods.

Probably about 25years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invader was a Checkers in house brand. The same bike was sold under a few different names, none of which I remember.

It is pretty entry level, but if it was my bike, I would try to restore it, just for the heck of it.

Invaders weren't that bad. You bought it when you couldn't afford a hansom or le jeune. I am with Eugene, fix it for the heck of it

They were Pick n Pay specials - bought mine at the PnP Hypermarket.  

Did my very first Argus on a blue-and-white Invader with permatubes...dad got tired of having to fix punctures...

I think there were around R400 new back then. I bought the Dion version for R400, spent about 6 months saving up for it. Cant remember what it was branded as, but it was all blue in colour.

Most of the Invaders I remember were bright neon colours

I just remember bent frames and snapped bmx's of all the neighbourhood kids who got them and tried to use the ramps and pump track we built in the velt.

Hours straightening those crap rims.... made a few randelas back then for Wicks chappies and Wilson toffies. Lekker dae.

Edited by s14phoenix

This was my Invader. Bought from PnP Hyper Boksburg, used to commute to school and back from Boksburg to Benoni, rain or shine, winter or summer. My dad bought it for me as it was the cheapest bike you could buy, pretty much... But I did love it.

I used to go through BBs at a rapid rate.

post-105680-0-85895000-1529182567_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Those old invaders came in 10 speed with the single colour, or two tone 12 speed. I had a red and white one when I was about 12. Took the whole bike apart to paint it and never managed to put it back together