Thule roof carrier and carbon frames

Hi everyone

I know there have been similar questions posted on here, but nothing pertaining to roof carriers where the bike stands upright with the wheels on.

I've just bought a Specialized Epic hardtail with the carbon frame. I've been using the Thule 598 roof mounted carrier with my other bikes which all have aluminium frames with no issues. Now there is obviously some concern about carbon frames sustaining damage from the clamp, granted these mainly seem to involve super thin frames like road bikes.

I just wanted to find out if anyone else has experienced this kind of problem with this specific carrier used with carbon MTB frames?

Cheers!

I've got 3 of those on a Fortuner (so high to get to and when travelling), have used them extensively with carbon frames (Momsen, Specialized, Merida, Scott) and have not had a problem in years. Thule really is the best type of carrier.

Has anyone had cosmetic damage after transport? Is it necessary to get a carbon frame protector? https://www.thule.com/en/za/bike-rack/roof-bike-rack-accessories/thule-carbon-frame-protector-_-984000

Yes. It will scratch the clamp area. No issues with rims though.

I use some clear frame protector for my road bike and a make shift frame guard for my mtb.

Make shift frame guard for mtb consist of some boot grip (Game sells them) wraped with insulation tape.

Those frame protectors are damn expensive compared to the above that works for me.

I've got 3 of those on a Fortuner (so high to get to and when travelling), have used them extensively with carbon frames (Momsen, Specialized, Merida, Scott) and have not had a problem in years. Thule really is the best type of carrier.

That really puts my mind at ease! And yes, there's a reason Thule stuff is so expensive  :lol:

Yes. It will scratch the clamp area. No issues with rims though.

I use some clear frame protector for my road bike and a make shift frame guard for my mtb.

Make shift frame guard for mtb consist of some boot grip (Game sells them) wraped with insulation tape.

Those frame protectors are damn expensive compared to the above that works for me.

I'll definitely be doing this.... Thanks! That Thule frame protector does seem like a waste of money, can't see that thing being very effective....

Used the Proride for many years now. Never had any scratches on the frame. Only damage was when my wife forgot she had bikes on the roof and drove into the garage.

The Proride 598 can’t be over tightened as it torques when tight enough

What he said.. I have been using mine for 2 years now on various frames. It's not possible to over tighten 598 as it clicks once you get to specific torque. 

Used the Proride for many years now. Never had any scratches on the frame. Only damage was when my wife forgot she had bikes on the roof and drove into the garage.

I've had nightmares about this! 

What he said.. I have been using mine for 2 years now on various frames. It's not possible to over tighten 598 as it clicks once you get to specific torque. 

Yes the torque limiter on the ratchet is very convenient.... I have read that some people don't even tighten it all the way to the point that it clicks. But seeing as you've had no issues this seems unnecessary.....

Make sure you have your bikes and racks insured before using them just in case. It ends badly for both...

Been clamping carbon mtbs on my Thule roof racks for ages, other than one or two paint chips from operator error / not being careful, I've had no issues.

Yes the torque limiter on the ratchet is very convenient.... I have read that some people don't even tighten it all the way to the point that it clicks. But seeing as you've had no issues this seems unnecessary.....

That torque limiter seems waaay too tight for me. I stop long before it hits the limiter - no need for it to be that tight.

Hang something bright from your mirror when you've got the bikes on. And stay away from shopping malls.