DT Swiss ratchet upgrade

GrahamS2

Does anyone here use the "special DT Swiss" ratchet grease? I would not believe that bike shops have a R200 pot of grease sitting there just for DT Swiss hubs?

I'm sure I can help here Quagga.

We have lots of these in stock and will be happy to send a tub to your preferred LBS.

Please note however, that it is essential that one uses this grease in servicing their star ratchet hubs as it is a very specific formula used!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure I can help here Quagga.

We have lots of these in stock and will be happy to send a tub to your preferred LBS.

Please note however, that it is essential that one uses this grease in servicing their star ratchet hubs as it is a very specific formula used!

I just laughed out loud in the office and realised I should get back to work.

Does anyone here use the "special DT Swiss" ratchet grease? I would not believe that bike shops have a R200 pot of grease sitting there just for DT Swiss hubs?

It must also be said Quagga, that with so many bike brands using DT SWISS internals on their OEM wheels it actually isn't just a R200 tub of grease for the odd DT hub service, but rather an absolutely integral part of any workshop's arsenal!

To give you an idea of how many brands have either in the past, or still continue to use DT SWISS internals in a large number of their wheels...

Giant Bicycles,

Specialized

Scott (either DT wheels, or Syncros wheels with DT internals)

Santa Cruz

KTM

Storck

BMC

Norco

Yeti

As you can see they are the most widely used hub internals on the market!

Hope this helps

Currently I'm using Chris King ring Drive grease and all of my DT SWISS 240s and Chris King hubs have been working reliably for years. 

The DTSwiss star ratchet grease is very similar to Molykote Tp42,

This is a higher tackiness anti seize compound used where high pressure loading is experienced and good water resistance is required. It does not get more sticky when exposed to water which is why DT specify this product. Normal grease absorbs water into the soap and the consistency increases forming sticky paste that can result in the star ratchets not engaging properly.

With the Chris KingRing drive you have a low consistency grease NLGI 00 with solid lubricants and very high shear lube oil along with PFTE. It does require more regular servicing.

It must also be said Quagga, that with so many bike brands using DT SWISS internals on their OEM wheels it actually isn't just a R200 tub of grease for the odd DT hub service, but rather an absolutely integral part of any workshop's arsenal!

To give you an idea of how many brands have either in the past, or still continue to use DT SWISS internals in a large number of their wheels...

Giant Bicycles,

Specialized

Santa Cruz

KTM

Storck

BMC

Norco

Yeti

Cannondale Hollowgram Ai Wheelsets ( I suspect their KNOT wheels also use DT Swiss rebranded hubs)

Hope this helps

Clearly you're an expert then

Giant Bicycles,

Specialized

Santa Cruz

KTM

Storck

BMC

Norco

Yeti

Cannondale Hollowgram Ai Wheelsets ( I suspect their KNOT wheels also use DT Swiss rebranded hubs)

Hope this helps

I was inundated with calls while typing that and left out good ol Cannondale. Thanks for noticing!

That's literally all four of the "big brands" in SA (namely Giant, Specialized, Scott and Cannondale) that use DT internals.

Well if you want the longest service interval and best longevity  for your hub investment then he is 110% correct.

Does anyone know what system comes stock in Roval CLX50 wheels? 

From Specialized's website:

Rear Hub
Rim: Roval AF1, CeramicSpeed bearings, DT Swiss 240 internals, 11-speed

Disc: Roval AFD2, Centerlock, CeramicSpeed bearings, DT Swiss 240 internals, 11-speed, QR or 142x12mm thru-axle end cap

From Specialized's website:

Rear Hub
Rim: Roval AF1, CeramicSpeed bearings, DT Swiss 240 internals, 11-speed

Disc: Roval AFD2, Centerlock, CeramicSpeed bearings, DT Swiss 240 internals, 11-speed, QR or 142x12mm thru-axle end cap

Sorry I meant to say which ratchet setup  :oops: 18, 36 or 54?

I think most OEM hubs are fitted with the 18T star ratchet

240s and 350 hubs use the star ratchet internals.

Not sure on which model those Roval wheels have, but in the past Specialized have usually always fitted their's with 54T as standard. Specialized are cool like that it seems

Giant Bicycles,

Specialized

Santa Cruz

KTM

Storck

BMC

Norco

Yeti

Hope this helps

Which of these are compatible with the Shimano Micro Spline freehub ?

Which of these are compatible with the Shimano Micro Spline freehub ?

good question> i'd like to know as well.

I suspect that they're all compatible since the internal parts are usually the freehub, star ratchets, springs and free hub bearing with the freehub end cap.