Amashova 2018

WeekendWarrior80

How is the first long uphill?

Doing my first Shova this year.

Its not that savage to be honest, much worse climbs around the country.

But what makes it stick in my mind is that as a 90kg+ rider my races are made by being able to stick with the front of the bunch up the hills and then enjoying the rest of the race. In this instance the lightweight guys are just too fresh and I doubt that I can stick with them if I compare it with last year.

The first climb ends at is about 9km into the race and takes about 20min to complete, so think of it as a reduced FTP test, with then a full 95km race afterwards. There are a couple of kicks right after that initial climb but about 40mins in, at about 19kms, you start to get some nice descents which give you recovery and feeding time.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely, thank you for that - will defo take note of it for my prep :)

Its not that savage to be honest, much worse climbs around the country.

But what makes it stick in my mind is that as a 90kg+ rider my races are made by being able to stick with the front of the bunch up the hills and then enjoying the rest of the race. In this instance the lightweight guys are just too fresh and I doubt that I can stick with them if I compare it with last year.

The first climb ends at is about 9km into the race and takes about 20min to complete, so think of it as a reduced FTP test, with then a full 95km race afterwards. There are a couple of kicks right after that initial climb but about 40mins in, at about 19kms, you start to get some nice descents which give you recovery and feeding time.

How is the first long uphill?

Doing my first Shova this year.

Fox Hill? I've only done one Shova which was in 2012, but that hill isn't too bad. I took a bit a strain riding through Inchanga / Drummond though, after that, I found it quite an enjoyable ride.

How many takers for the 160km?

I'm in for the 160km. I wonder what kind of pace people are going to set - work deliverables is trying its utmost to derail my being fit enough for this, so I suspect it will be a looooong day.

Im looking at the route profile now and Inchanga looks like the next pig and then its pretty much just holding on as you descend after Shongweni - looks super fast tho.

Fox Hill? I've only done one Shova which was in 2012, but that hill isn't too bad. I took a bit a strain riding through Inchanga / Drummond though, after that, I found it quite an enjoyable ride.

Im looking at the route profile now and Inchanga looks like the next pig and then its pretty much just holding on as you descend after Shongweni - looks super fast tho.

It's a lekker ride. Not as scenic as Argus or Tour Durban, but fairly enjoyable nonetheless.

I'm in for the 160km. I wonder what kind of pace people are going to set - work deliverables is trying its utmost to derail my being fit enough for this, so I suspect it will be a looooong day.

We riding the 160km route on Saturday. I will send you my Strava file.

Super fast and Super fun sweeping descents, made me think of those Grand Tour descents.

It's truly my most enjoyable event yet. Granted, my one time that I tried to do CTCT the trifecta disrupters of Wind, Fire and Cement Bricks prevented me from leaving the start line.

Anyone having issues trying to enter Amashova this morning?

Tried but keeps on telling me the 160km is closed, I don't qualify. I can't access the 106km route option (Which I want to enter for)

Contact CycleEvents as online entries close today. Could be the date/time combo has expired - as it has happened with the CCMNC on deadline day.

faaaaaark - sounds like Suiker with that uphill start and then you feel the other climbs later when you fatigued.

Thanks S14

well yeah, something like that.

The first climb on Shova is like 15km of rollers. Some places to recover but if you trying to hold onto the group then it's going to hurt.

https://www.strava.com/segments/6966517

You have to save some legs for the middle section, Inchanga, Drummond, Botha's Hill can sting.

Edited by Veebee

Once you have negotiated that then the rest should be ok. Thanks man.

Yeah the starts are always hectic - breathing wrecked, legs still in bed lol

well yeah, something like that.

The first climb on Shova is like 15km of rollers. Some places to recover but if you trying to hold onto the group then it's going to hurt.

https://www.strava.com/segments/6966517?filter=overall

You have to save some legs for the middle section, Inchanga, Drummond, Botha's Hill can sting.

We have a nice size batch for the first year - about 50 riders!

Hmm, I see the 160km starts at 6h25, and bus 1 arrives at 6h - certainly won't be time for dawdling to get to the start on time....

With the estimate that we'll rejoin the normal route between C and D, on roughly what speed is that based?