Towbar Bike racks reviews please....

marius1341

My Menabo rack started disintegrating after 3 years. Worst thing is I cannot clamp my Banshee on it, so whats the point.

I now load my bike in my Outback. Would love to buy a Thule, but that would interfere with all the bike upgrades I am planning.

:lol:

It seems consensus exist that Thule is the bench mark in towbar bike racks...however , please advise on your views regarding other makes like Double D , Holdfast and Buzzracks please.., some are 50% cheaper thanThule ...and surely cannot be that bac... or is it a case cheap = poor quality here

I would strongly recommend the Thule. If you can be patient they do pop up on the HUB.

If I can give you some advice. Whatever rack you decide on make sure your exhaust does not blow onto the bike as exhaust heat has destroyed a few races and holidays. :w00t: The Thule has deflector plates which can be bought but as an extra.

Good luck 

When I looked at getting a Bike Rack, I eventually settled on the 2 bike from BOSAL. Fantastic rack especially the feature that lets you fold it up for storage and well priced as well. I think it was less than 2K at the time.

Pity they don't do them anymore

When I looked at getting a Bike Rack, I eventually settled on the 2 bike from BOSAL. Fantastic rack especially the feature that lets you fold it up for storage and well priced as well. I think it was less than 2K at the time.

Pity they don't do them anymore

I also have a Bosal 2 bike rack, still use it to this day.  

I also have a Holdfast 3 bike rack - it is bulletproof and very sturdy (also heavy though compared to a Thule).  What I do like about the Holdfast however is that the spacing between the bikes is a bit more than with a Thule - making it easier to load 3 large bikes.

Only reason I went with the Holdfast over the Thule when I bought the rack was because of the price difference, 5k vs 10k.

If you can afford a Thule/Volvo rack go for it, after that I would say Holdfast as I haven't used the others yet.

If you do get the Thule rack just make sure the knobs that hold the round bar (the ones the arms attach to) is lockable (the earlier ones could just be loosened and removed).

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Go to Volvo they sell a Volvo branded Thule at 1/3 the price

Hi there. Do you perhaps know the outlets in Jhb where they sell the Volvo bike racks?

Thanks

As many have mentioned, go with the Thule.

I bought the 3x bike version on the hub for R4k - there are decent bargains to be had, you just have to be a bit patient.

I was forced to buy a new rack because of those gooseneck towbars. Anyhoo found a Buzzrack job which holds 4 bikes. I like the fact that I can slide the clamps closer or further meaning I can tie the bikes together with some of those pool noodles to stop any rubbing. 

Only problem I have is when having to tow my trailer but I managed to get a second hand base plate (sold car with goose neck and have gone old school) and borrowed my old boys old school Holdfast (I'll just say oh I must still bring your rack back) everytime I see him. So I have the option of putting two bikes on the rack and two bikes on the Holdfast top runner (mounted on the trailer) which I'm still supposed to test out. 

Welllll.... my Thule no longer or wait, my mtb is too long to fit on my thule euroway!!! I sent thule sweden an email asking for a solution in the hope that I can get longer rails. They send my email to local rep. Rep says nothing they can do. 

Hi there. Do you perhaps know the outlets in Jhb where they sell the Volvo bike racks?

Thanks

drop me a PM with what you want, I'll get some pricing from my parts guys.

I'm at Volvo Bedfordview

On the topic of racks, many many moons ago you used to get a rack that could fold when not in use, it had a base plate that attached to the back of the towbar and then you inserted the racks 2 uprights into the base plate and locked into position.

I was sitting in traffic one morning, probably right infront of this dealership, the car infront of me had one of these racks on. I studied this rack and drew up plans in my head, got to the office put the plans on paper.

Then proceeded to spend the next month or so making this rack.

I still have it, dont use it anymore but am reluctant to just dump it. It served me well for probably 10 odd years.

I would recommend Thule if you can afford it; particularly with tow-bar mounted racks. The self-centering mechanism is amazing when attaching onto your tow-bar. Furthermore, the ability to tilt the rack back while fully loaded is a Godsend (I realise that other brands have recently started doing this).

To me, It doesn't make sense to spend a fortune on a bike and then peanuts on transport.