Distance Over-reading?

Neville Bailey

A GPS will cut corners as well. How much depends on the recording interval, but on twisty trails you will notice a difference compared to a normal speed sensor.

On my Garmin Edge 705 the distance over a previous CTCT route differed by less than 100m compared to my "back-up" Ryder cycling computer. That's a difference of 0.09%, and I doubt you will get it any better than that. The Garmin only use the GPS for speed and distance, and I VERY painstakingly made sure about the circumference of the wheel that had the magnet attached to it for the speed and distance on the Ryder cycling computer.

Slight hijicack

I was wondering the other day how accurate avg speeds are via GPS cycling computers....

I’m sure my avg speed has declined drastically since the days of non gps.... despite being pedantic about setting the correct wheel diameter.....

#loveyourage

Slight hijicack

I was wondering the other day how accurate avg speeds are via GPS cycling computers....

I’m sure my avg speed has declined drastically since the days of non gps.... despite being pedantic about setting the correct wheel diameter.....

#loveyourage

I think it depends on the quality of the gps software as well and how accurate the gps location is.

GPS is only accurate up to a few meters and even doing the same course (even multiple laps on the same course) there will be some variation.

Archived