Cyclist shot at cradle...

sunchaser

Right so what are we all going to do about this stuff??? Are we just gonna keep reading and sharing these stories? Are we gonna give up cycling? Are we gonna change the game?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rode past the scene this morning, there were 3 police dudes there. Stopped and had a chat to them. They didn’t want to say much, but I found out which police station they were from and promised them each a case of KWV Brandy or Bells if they catch the guys.

Let’s hope justice is served.

Guest Chilli Bean

Sadly the perpetrators are desperate for money and will resort to violent means of getting what they want. 

The real criminals are the people buying these stolen goods. Who in good conscience can ride a TT bike or wheels that someone else almost lost their life for?

Guest Chilli Bean

Right so what are we all going to do about this stuff??? Are we just gonna keep reading and sharing these stories? Are we gonna give up cycling? Are we gonna change the game?

I agree with you. At one stage the Bicycle Company provided a support vehicle which patrolled the Cradle routes and offered assistance to those with mechanical and other needs. At this stage it is only those who are members of a club who are privy to similar assistance. Perhaps we could approach a company such as Road Cover to offer a similar service during peak hours in the Cradle. It may not resolve all issues but would certainly act as some sort of deterrent to those considering bike theft. Also an early warning system may help, that is if someone sees any suspicious behaviour they can sms the patrolling vehicle.

I agree with you. At one stage the Bicycle Company provided a support vehicle which patrolled the Cradle routes and offered assistance to those with mechanical and other needs. At this stage it is only those who are members of a club who are privy to similar assistance. Perhaps we could approach a company such as Road Cover to offer a similar service during peak hours in the Cradle. It may not resolve all issues but would certainly act as some sort of deterrent to those considering bike theft. Also an early warning system may help, that is if someone sees any suspicious behaviour they can sms the patrolling vehicle.

On the day in question as I cycled there earlier in the morning, there were at least 2 cycle lab cars, possibly a bus as well, 1 club 100 bus, 2 miway road angels and I think a few road ranger motor bikes. So it is not as if there is no cover at peak hours.

Guest Chilli Bean

On the day in question as I cycled there earlier in the morning, there were at least 2 cycle lab cars, possibly a bus as well, 1 club 100 bus, 2 miway road angels and I think a few road ranger motor bikes. So it is not as if there is no cover at peak hours.

Okay so what is your suggestion? 

There are a number of key entry points to the Cradle so if there is a vehicle positioned at each access point from 6am - 12pm on a Saturday and a cyclist can contact a central emergency contact number, they will be located via GPS. Even in the worst case scenario that a shooting occurs at least that person will be located. The cyclist that was shot was lucky to be found be a passer by.

We all use the Cradle but we sit back and complain and do nothing about it.

There are a number of key entry points to the Cradle so if there is a vehicle positioned at each access point from 6am - 12pm on a Saturday and a cyclist can contact a central emergency contact number, they will be located via GPS. Even in the worst case scenario that a shooting occurs at least that person will be located. The cyclist that was shot was lucky to be found be a passer by.

Most of the people that I know, don’t sit back and complain. Shaper happens to be one of those.

The easiest, quickest, most cost effective short term solution, just ride with a few buddies.

When I was out in the Cradle today, I wasn’t planning on riding up that road (I was solo), I was going to stick to the safer Caves turn off. However I saw a guy riding up there on his own, so I chased him down, told him about the shooting from yesterday and we rode up there together. Making friends and staying safe...

So just look out for others and stay in groups, or form groups.

If they start attacking groups, then we rethink.

I have no idea what the answer can be, just pointed out that on a Saturday there is fair few vehicles providing cover for clubs as well as individual cyclists, and that does not include the better halves who follow their loved ones in their own vehicles.

The section where the incident happened is not really well patrolled and cyclist who do go that way are knowingly doing so at their own risk.  Most clubs turn towards the caves.  Cyclist awareness may be the best way and unfortunately this incident will raise that awareness as it has been all over FB groups.

It may be possible to have an emergency contact number that all these vehicles can be available to respond to, but if you are robbed of your phone and bike as was this case, by being shot first, then having an emergency number in your phone will be of no use.

As I triathlete myself I often train alone, but will stick to the main routes because I am alone, which in general for me fourways to the caves and back, or biddon to caves and back a number of times if I need to add further distance.

As Patch says, if you riding alone, try join other riders who are there even if for a short while, else lookout for fellow riders

Guest Chilli Bean

Most of the people that I know, don’t sit back and complain. Shaper happens to be one of those.

The easiest, quickest, most cost effective short term solution, just ride with a few buddies.

When I was out in the Cradle today, I wasn’t planning on riding up that road (I was solo), I was going to stick to the safer Caves turn off. However I saw a guy riding up there on his own, so I chased him down, told him about the shooting from yesterday and we rode up there together. Making friends and staying safe...

So just look out for others and stay in groups, or form groups.

If they start attacking groups, then we rethink.

I wasn't referring to your friend Shaper, but many of the others on social media that are blaming crime, the country etc. but not coming up with any options in terms of curbing the problem going forward. I merely asked for a suggestion which I am sure he is able to provide. Shaper refers to all the marshalls etc. on that road but this is not true as they follow the clubs on the Caves section of the Cradle. The fact that you refer to the "safer Caves turn off" implies that you are familiar with the sections of the Cradle that are safer and those that are not. Unfortunately not everyone is privy to this.

Even though I am predominantly a road cyclist, there are those who train on TT bikes and MTB that need to do so alone and avoid the high traffic on certain portions of the route. I am sure you are familiar with the truck incident that occurred with one of the CycleLab groups not too long ago. Good on you for trying to correct/protect the guy who took the "wrong" route today but let's find a more sustainable long term solution going forward so that most cyclists who enjoy cycling in the Cradle can do so at lower risk to their person. In this regard, I have decided to approach a few higher profile clubs and security firms in establishing a collaborative solution, if any.

Guest Chilli Bean

I have no idea what the answer can be, just pointed out that on a Saturday there is fair few vehicles providing cover for clubs as well as individual cyclists, and that does not include the better halves who follow their loved ones in their own vehicles.

The section where the incident happened is not really well patrolled and cyclist who do go that way are knowingly doing so at their own risk.  Most clubs turn towards the caves.  Cyclist awareness may be the best way and unfortunately this incident will raise that awareness as it has been all over FB groups.

It may be possible to have an emergency contact number that all these vehicles can be available to respond to, but if you are robbed of your phone and bike as was this case, by being shot first, then having an emergency number in your phone will be of no use.

As I triathlete myself I often train alone, but will stick to the main routes because I am alone, which in general for me fourways to the caves and back, or biddon to caves and back a number of times if I need to add further distance.

As Patch says, if you riding alone, try join other riders who are there even if for a short while, else lookout for fellow riders

I understand your point, but not everyone is in the same position to just "join other cyclists". We need a solution that can suit a variety of cyclists Road, MTB, TT, etc. I never ride at peak times on the weekend as I prefer a quiet Cradle for interval training for races etc. but that comes with risks unfortunately. I just think there must be some solution for those riding during the peak times in the Cradle as not every cyclist belongs to a club. I have noticed many older cyclists and ladies training on their own, not followed by a "better half" or "loved one" so I'm just trying to explore various options in terms of safety in n area which could be easily monitored and provide some form of deterrent to criminals. 

I wasn't referring to your friend Shaper, but many of the others on social media that are blaming crime, the country etc. but not coming up with any options in terms of curbing the problem going forward. I merely asked for a suggestion which I am sure he is able to provide. Shaper refers to all the marshalls etc. on that road but this is not true as they follow the clubs on the Caves section of the Cradle. The fact that you refer to the "safer Caves turn off" implies that you are familiar with the sections of the Cradle that are safer and those that are not. Unfortunately not everyone is privy to this.

Even though I am predominantly a road cyclist, there are those who train on TT bikes and MTB that need to do so alone and avoid the high traffic on certain portions of the route. I am sure you are familiar with the truck incident that occurred with one of the CycleLab groups not too long ago. Good on you for trying to correct/protect the guy who took the "wrong" route today but let's find a more sustainable long term solution going forward so that most cyclists who enjoy cycling in the Cradle can do so at lower risk to their person. In this regard, I have decided to approach a few higher profile clubs and security firms in establishing a collaborative solution, if any.

You have “A” solution, I have “A” solution, neither is “THE” solution.

Yes, I am familiar with the Cradle, as Rambo says “I’ve done a few laps”.

Lobby for your solution, I’m am a supporter of the idea in principle. But be careful not to tread over these who don’t immediately join you at meetings and have alternatives ideas.

As with most things, there are many solutions that can all contribute to a better overall state of affairs, but these often fail to actually get implemented because people end up wasting their enegergy arguing about why their proposed solution is better than the next.

While you get patrol cars organized, I’ll suggest that people ride in groups and look out for each other. They can do that from tomorrow already.

Sadly the perpetrators are desperate for money and will resort to violent means of getting what they want. 

The real criminals are the people buying these stolen goods. Who in good conscience can ride a TT bike or wheels that someone else almost lost their life for?

I dont believe they are desperate for money, its easy money they are after. The guys desperate for money are doing non-violent crime and stealing the odd item. 

Its well known what bicycles cost and so its an easy target for people who find crime easier than working.

Rode past the scene this morning, there were 3 police dudes there. Stopped and had a chat to them. They didn’t want to say much, but I found out which police station they were from and promised them each a case of KWV Brandy or Bells if they catch the guys.

Let’s hope justice is served.

Good on you!!

I'm a bit challenged sometimes...where exactly did this happen?

Post #3

Yeah, saw that but it just doesn't look like that area from all the pics I've seen on social media??

Archived