Football

IceCreamMan

I see MUFC apparently l had scouts in Naples watching Koulibaly and Cancelo..

Good luck they won't sign either of them.. Napoli will put a €150m price tag on KK and there is no way Cancelo is going anywhere..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think Koulibaly might be worth that for Man U. A great leader in defense is something they are lacking and I suspect they have noticed how van Dijk has solidified the Liverpool defense. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think theyd have enough to sustain a title challenge

Sent from my GT-P5200 using Tapatalk

I'm of the same view... they'd be in that bun fight for places 3-7 I reckon, quite possibly not even making Champions League.

Physical nature and the intensity of every premier league game would catch up with them pretty quickly.

Poorest premier league team has similar spending power to that of teams around the Champions League places in Italy, Germany and Spain. With that you get better players and relentless competition - there are no easy games or off days. 

Look at Fulham yesterday, worst team in the prem by some distance, but still with 5-6 top internationals in their ranks and giving Chelsea a seriously hard time yesterday...

Obviously just an opinion, there's no way to really know for sure, but one indicator for me would be the way the prem teams almost always go pretty far in the Champions league... no matter which 4 are in there. And that's with them also being lined up as opponents long in advance as the weaker leagues allow it, with many easier days at the office... you just really struggle to do that in the Prem which is why teams like City have two to players for every position to try make it happen.

You could also probably gauge it from how no team has won back to back titles in the last decade - it's just so hard to keep up that intensity no matter how much squad depth you have.

Anyways, just opinions

I'm of the same view... they'd be in that bun fight for places 3-7 I reckon, quite possibly not even making Champions League.

Physical nature and the intensity of every premier league game would catch up with them pretty quickly.

Poorest premier league team has similar spending power to that of teams around the Champions League places in Italy, Germany and Spain. With that you get better players and relentless competition - there are no easy games or off days.

Look at Fulham yesterday, worst team in the prem by some distance, but still with 5-6 top internationals in their ranks and giving Chelsea a seriously hard time yesterday...

Obviously just an opinion, there's no way to really know for sure, but one indicator for me would be the way the prem teams almost always go pretty far in the Champions league... no matter which 4 are in there. And that's with them also being lined up as opponents long in advance as the weaker leagues allow it, with many easier days at the office... you just really struggle to do that in the Prem which is why teams like City have two to players for every position to try make it happen.

You could also probably gauge it from how no team has won back to back titles in the last decade - it's just so hard to keep up that intensity no matter how much squad depth you have.

Anyways, just opinions

What do you consider success in the CL for a specific league.. to me it is the quarter finals.

But ja leagues and cup competitions are 2 different things. A difficult draw early on can crush all hopes

Edited by Gen

In other interestimg news.. it seems Pirlo is set to take over our u23 team next season (this team compete in serie C) ..

All I see is beautiful football incoming [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

I think Koulibaly might be worth that for Man U. A great leader in defense is something they are lacking and I suspect they have noticed how van Dijk has solidified the Liverpool defense.

They will have to pay up.. Napoli have put a high price tag on him for a reason... brilliant defender.

What do you consider success in the CL for a specific league.. to me it is the quarter finals.

But ja leagues and cup competitions are 2 different things. A difficult draw early on can crush all hopes

Making the knockouts is a pretty good indicator of strength as it's over a good sample of games... once in the knockouts, as we know, anything can happen and the draw also plays a huge role. 

5 English teams in the knock outs last year, four this year... it's not by flook. 

Making the knockouts is a pretty good indicator of strength as it's over a good sample of games... once in the knockouts, as we know, anything can happen and the draw also plays a huge role.

5 English teams in the knock outs last year, four this year... it's not by flook.

Each to his own.. but to me it is quarters.. some teams get really easy group stage draws and have really easy paths to the round of 16.

No I can't remember which teams had which draws last year.. damn I can hardly remember who had who this year.

Why do you say that?

4 or 5 hard games a year at max during the league (and they been fixed before they start :ph34r:), and concentrate on CL. 

4 or 5 hard games a year at max during the league (and they been fixed before they start :ph34r:), and concentrate on CL.

I wish that was the case.. I really do

Then we wouldn't be the brides maid at the CL so many times.

Edited by Gen

I wish that was the case.. I really do

Then we wouldn't be the brides maid at the CL so many times.

I don't see any logic in this point? You've usually wrapped up your league title months in advance of the final... unlike most of the other teams competing in the latter rounds, Real, Barca, City, Liverpool etc

The other advantage you're failing to see is that being the obvious big fish in your league, you get to cherry pick the best talents from the other teams in your league. Just like Bayern and PSG do... so the gap just generally widens

I don't see any logic in this point? You've usually wrapped up your league title months in advance of the final... unlike most of the other teams competing in the latter rounds, Real, Barca, City, Liverpool etc

The other advantage you're failing to see is that being the obvious big fish in your league, you get to cherry pick the best talents from the other teams in your league. Just like Bayern and PSG do... so the gap just generally widens

Months in advance hey... yoh okay.. no this season we have a cushion but it isn't always the case. And we have benefited from Napoli with a new coach..Inter self imploding, Milan rebuilding and Roma being inconsistent.. must we not build a strong squad to try and compete in Europe and Serie A?

If you watched you would see we don't have easy games.. most of the time we battled to the end to get results..

2017-2018 Juve 95, Napoli 91

2016-2017 Juve 91, Roma 87

City won the league last year by 19 points...19 does that make the rest of the teams bad and the league easy because that one year they had a near perfect season.[emoji848]

No it doesn't.. it means they had an exceptional year.

Edited by Gen

City won the league last year by 19 points...19 does that make the rest of the teams bad and the league easy because that one year they had a near perfect season.[emoji848]

City won 5 championships dating back to 1937, Juve have won 26 (34 total) since 1937 and 7 in the last seven years, number 8 coming up. You getting the picture how easy you have it in Italy? 

You'd probably have more if it weren't for match fixing. 

City won 5 championships dating back to 1937, Juve have won 26 (34 total) since 1937 and 7 in the last seven years, number 8 coming up. You getting the picture how easy you have it in Italy?

You'd probably have more if it weren't for match fixing.

Do you watch serie A.. or do you read results..

What is easy.. is easy winning the league or is easy walking over opponent and winning by 5 goal margins.. I just want to understand what is easy in your view... we may win the league but I can tell you it isn't always easy.. in fact most games have me swearing at the TV

But it is cool.. I am able to appreciate different leagues for the different qualities.

Edited by Gen

Our progress in the CL over the last how many years show that they can compete in any league... we just stumble at the final hurdle in the CL ..sigh

Ah so a defeat for Juventus is a stumble but a draw for Liverpool is 'bottling it'.

Each to his own.. but to me it is quarters.. some teams get really easy group stage draws and have really easy paths to the round of 16.

No I can't remember which teams had which draws last year.. damn I can hardly remember who had who this year.

Surely then the fact that the last 16 has only one Italian team, predictably it is Juventus, and the quarters may not have any as things stand trying to use this this to argue that the iIalian league has strength in depth is not really going to work.?

Edit - it's actually two teams but I can't count...

Edited by marko35s

Ah so a defeat for Juventus is a stumble but a draw for Liverpool is 'bottling it'.

League and CL two different competitions.. Liverpool handle that competition a hell of a lot better than us[emoji22]

Do you disagree that Liverpool have thrown away a handy league lead to now trail by 1 point?

Edited by Gen