Recovery after hernia repair surgery

Hi all,

I was told by the doctor and Physio not to do any excerise or cycling for 5 weeks after my surgery. ( 3 weeks to go!) I’m now starting to get edgy and wondering if I could get on the stationary bike, can’t see how that would put much strain on the stomach....

Anybody with any experience with this??

No experience with your condition. But I would suggest that you obey doctors orders..I have learned the hard way by getting frustrated and starting to train before the prescribed time period had elapsed. I did it twice.

Not worth it. You will be off for longer that you would have, had you listened.

Best of luck with your recovery.

Edited by Vetseun

Speak to CJVan. He recently had a hernia repair. As far as I know he was cleared to get on the stationary bike quite soon after the repair.

But, an internet forum is not the right place to look for medical advice. Docs study long and hard to know what they know - I would listen to mine.

Mate had a hernia op, he was off for 8 weeks, even though the external op scars were all healed, the internal op scars were not and light spinning and even swimming were painful when he did restart exercising.  If your Doc says 5 weeks then I would heed his medical advice and only then start and see how it feels, and stop at the first sign of discomfort.

I would also like to know as this is an op I need to have. Had 2 already on the same side about 15 years ago, but before I cycled. Now need to do the other side. Thought I would postpone until after Berg & Bush in Oct.

Would really appreciate if you could PM me with more specifics like the doctor who did you, type of op (keyhole, etc.), what type of repair (mesh), etc. Obviously only if you are ok with it..

I had mine in January ... took 3 months to be pain free and 6 months to be 101%.

Take the advice.  Get some board games.

Been there, done that.   6 months for me doing absolutely nothing and I was much younger.

I am not a Doc but give it a break, delicate area ......damn, it hurts just thinking about it.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yip, I will suck it up, be patient and read cycling books!

I had my hernia surgery about 8 weeks ago.  Doctor cleared me to go to work the next week.  Told me to start walking as soon as I could. It was uncomfortable but not painful to walk the next day.  A week after my surgery I took long walks just to get out of the house and I experienced no pain.  Doc told me to come in after 2 weeks so that he could check up on me.  He told me I could start cycling on the spinning bike and start running/jogging again.  No trail running, just on the open road.  Basically, you do not want any explosive movements that could rip the internal stitches.  I was allowed to go downhill on my MTB again after 6 weeks. 

In short, if you don't feel any pain on the spinning bike you should be fine.  No weight lifting as this puts a lot of pressure through your abdomen and could rip the stiches.

Just remember, this was for a groin (inguinal) hernia.  The recovery time could be different if you had a different hernia surgery.

I had a strangulated hernia many years ago. Had to have the op at 3 or 4 in the morning! Worst pain ever and I couldn't stop vomiting. Everyone thought was was drunk as it was a Saturday night! They didn't use gauze the first time and some years later I had a sneezing fit and it reopened. Then had the op again with the gauze and touch wood 17 odd years later I am still fine.i was back playing squash after 6 weeks but I did wait the full six weeks and I only played a casual game for a month or so afterwards. Slow and steady with recovery unless you enjoy hospitals! I should add that both ops were done in my 20s and I was in relatively good shape.

Edited by Mojoman