29er Advice

spags

Morning Hubbers,

I'm looking to upgrade from a 26er to a 29er and would appreciate some advice be it good or bad........

I have the option between:

1) 2015 Momsen Vipa XT carbon

2) 2016 Marida Ninety-Six 6000 carbon

Is there a preference or are there any pit falls to look out for?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

I recently (3 months ago) upgraded from 26" to 29".

I am not going to comment on the bikes you list, rather my riding experience.

• Tire pressure - on a 29 er you will run different pressure to 26. I am still trying to get the ideal tire pressure for my riding style and weight.
  • The bigger wheels really do roll better.
  • Handling feels a bit different - but that is also due to the geometry of the bike.
  • You actually have a choice of tires available
  • It took me a few rides to find the gear ratios that worked for me (went from 3x9 to 2x10 when I changed from 26 to 29)
  • No pit falls or negatives for me thus far

I recently (3 months ago) upgraded from 26" to 29".

I am not going to comment on the bikes you list, rather my riding experience.

• Tire pressure - on a 29 er you will run different pressure to 26. I am still trying to get the ideal tire pressure for my riding style and weight.
  • The bigger wheels really do roll better.
  • Handling feels a bit different - but that is also due to the geometry of the bike.
  • You actually have a choice of tires available
  • It took me a few rides to find the gear ratios that worked for me (went from 3x9 to 2x10 when I changed from 26 to 29)
  • No pit falls or negatives for me thus far

Thanks for honest feedback, i'm sure i'll experience similar issues in time to come

Morning Hubbers,

I'm looking to upgrade from a 26er to a 29er and would appreciate some advice be it good or bad........

I have the option between:

1) 2015 Momsen Vipa XT carbon

2) 2016 Marida Ninety-Six 6000 carbon

Is there a preference or are there any pit falls to look out for?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Many here would consider these two options as old school and advice you to steer toward something more modern.

However of the two options the Merida would be my choice. Its a bit longer in the reach for the same size which gives you a bit more room to play around with finding the right set up for you. A longer front center also adds stability.

The part spec is likely better on the Momsen but its a year older and therefore probably closer to replacement time for the groupset.

I'm assuming these are 2nd hand. What is asking price for each bike?

Many here would consider these two options as old school and advice you to steer toward something more modern.

However of the two options the Merida would be my choice. Its a bit longer in the reach for the same size which gives you a bit more room to play around with finding the right set up for you. A longer front center also adds stability.

The part spec is likely better on the Momsen but its a year older and therefore probably closer to replacement time for the groupset.

Thanks for the feedback, as i'm looking for a 2nd hand bike in the range below i'll probably have to settle / compromise on the bike.

Momsen = R25K

Mareida = R21,5K

Old school?

Old school?

Not slack enough

not low enough

not long enough

personally the geometry doesn't phase me except to get the best fit.