Scott Spark 940 or Merida One-Twenty XT edt.

650B

I still need to jump on the Genius or something similar. 

That will be guide me to either the 120/130 or 140/160 range. 

Yes that new Trance is tempting, I just don't want to wait to long and loose the 

end of 2018 range clearance.

Thanks for all the input, makes you think !!

As tempting as end of season close with it deals are, don’t get suckered into just buying new because it’s on special. This becomes an expensive way to navigate through this hobby.

I had a Anthem 27.5 and ran it at 100mm for ages. It was a sweet bike and I also got to the poInt where I thought I outgrew it. Then I needed to replace a stanchion due to running wear and I upgraded to 120mm. That change life extended the bike to the point I was riding it like I stole it. I tried the Fuel EX and then realsied a XC bike is not a trail bike. Also tried the Scott and it’s still an xc bike no matter how hard they try to sell it as “capable “.

My current bike is still a capable xc bike but I know that here’s place for a trail bike for just playing around on. Bikes in thsie camps are different as they are similar. A trail bike is just much more fun to have fun on and if you not racing and just riding events for a blast with pals, get a short travel trail bike 120/130mm.

Also consider a current model Teance 27.5 frame and transfer the parts. Don’t rush it. Bikes are only getting better and better

As tempting as end of season close with it deals are, don’t get suckered into just buying new because it’s on special. This becomes an expensive way to navigate through this hobby.

I had a Anthem 27.5 and ran it at 100mm for ages. It was a sweet bike and I also got to the poInt where I thought I outgrew it. Then I needed to replace a stanchion due to running wear and I upgraded to 120mm. That change life extended the bike to the point I was riding it like I stole it. I tried the Fuel EX and then realsied a XC bike is not a trail bike. Also tried the Scott and it’s still an xc bike no matter how hard they try to sell it as “capable “.

My current bike is still a capable xc bike but I know that here’s place for a trail bike for just playing around on. Bikes in thsie camps are different as they are similar. A trail bike is just much more fun to have fun on and if you not racing and just riding events for a blast with pals, get a short travel trail bike 120/130mm.

Also consider a current model Teance 27.5 frame and transfer the parts. Don’t rush it. Bikes are only getting better and better

Did you not find changing to the 120mm that the overall geo was a little of, and did you convert the 100mm to 120mm or was it a standard 120mm. 

If I may ask, what is you complete setup on your 27.5 Anthem ??

Did you not find changing to the 120mm that the overall geo was a little of, and did you convert the 100mm to 120mm or was it a standard 120mm. 

The Anthem SX is a normal anthem with a 120mm fork. Works perfectly.

Depending on your fork you may or may not need to get a new air shaft. Depends entirely on the fork. I'd highly recommend doing it, though. Getting 20% extra front squish really helps, and it'll slacken the HA out a touch as well. 

The fork was capable of being changed to 120mm through an airspring change. That needed replacing anyway so I went for it.

The geo wasn't a problem. Moved my seat forward 5mm and tilted the nose down slightly more to compensate for the raised front end.

Dropped the bars 10mm by removing one headset spacer.

I used a 740mm flat bar 9degree back sweep

70mm /80mm stem depending on where I was riding.

1x12 XO1 SRAM eagle

SRAM GUIDE ultimate brakes

American classic wide lightning wheels

The rear remained 100mm. Ran it at 30% sag

Mate of mine runs his sixxfiddy Anthem with a 130mm Revelation and wide rims+tyres and he rips on it. He also has a 140 sixxfiddy pyga, but I haven't seen him ride that in a while...

Between your choices I'd suggest the Scott, but I'd rather recommend the new 29trance2 at R42k(or there abouts.) self confessed Giant fan.

Between your choices I'd suggest the Scott

I'd go for the Scott as well, simply because of the "twin lock" system. Makes things so much simpler I think.

You really need to add Specialized to the mix of options... Their bikes are some of the best out there, serious money spent on R&D, and let's face it, it's a very hot brand to be associated with!  They make some great branded kit too!

Some new longer travel versions of the Epic available now, and a couple of nice used Spez bikes in the classifieds to consider!

For what it's worth... Specialized vs Scott:  Sam beat Nino at the Stellenbosch WC...you were there and saw first hand that Spez is faster!

You really need to add Specialized to the mix of options... Their bikes are some of the best out there, serious money spent on R&D, and let's face it, it's a very hot brand to be associated with!  They make some great branded kit too!

Some new longer travel versions of the Epic available now, and a couple of nice used Spez bikes in the classifieds to consider!

For what it's worth... Specialized vs Scott:  Sam beat Nino at the Stellenbosch WC...you were there and saw first hand that Spez is faster!

:blink: ok I am confused, a Scott guy (if looking at his avatar) punting Spez, what has happened to the world, have we changed to a place where people try and be objective and give the balance of facts (ie that although I might like a bike you might enjoy another brand)

:blink: ok I am confused, a Scott guy (if looking at his avatar) punting Spez, what has happened to the world, have we changed to a place where people try and be objective and give the balance of facts (ie that although I might like a bike you might enjoy another brand)

dedicated followers of fashion....they punt what ever is trending at the time.

its a millennial thing

And Nino won almost every other race... So Scott is faster!!!