Scott Spark 940 or Merida One-Twenty XT edt.

650B

Looking for a trail bike that will handle the ups and downs in WC area, excluding the rough stuff like 

Jonkers black sections. 

Currently on a Giant Anthem 1 27.5 with 100mm front and back. I am doing all the trails but the bike is holding me back. I am not big into the Enduro scene therefore not looking at the 140-160 bikes. 

Budget is R35k and for that money currently I can get a Spark 940 or the Merida One-Twenty. 

Any comments on those 2 or something else that I might have missed. 

I did test ride both and both (parking lot) seem very close geometry wise. 

Same boat - LBS said 2018 940 better fork than the Merida. Geometry on the Scott also more progressive.

bought the 2018 940 in Jan and it is seriously good. coming from an enduro background I wanted something that i could play with but also keep up with the racing snakes. and the scott is definitely it. buy the 940. I see specials at the moment for around R36k. Very good price. this bike always puts a smile on my face. I've removed the dropper and gone tubeless. seriously good bike, you wont regret

I've removed the dropper...

Why though? The dropper makes such s huge difference in confidence when going down and is the 500 odd gram extra really going to make a difference?

May I ask, in what way is your bike holding you back? That might also indicate what to look at.

May I ask, in what way is your bike holding you back? That might also indicate what to look at.

The geometry of the 27.5 anthem and lack of travel. Also I feel like I have to work really hard on the technical stuff.

The geometry of the 27.5 anthem and lack of travel. Also I feel like I have to work really hard on the technical stuff.

?? What aspect of the geometry?

How are you having to work the bike in tight techy stuff?

That bike rips

?? What aspect of the geometry?

How are you having to work the bike in tight techy stuff?

That bike rips

Head angle I am finding a little to steep. The 100mm front and back makes for a bumpy ride especially with constant roots and brake bumbs. Varying tyre pressures and susp. pressures/setup. Yes it is a very playful and lively bike especially on the smooth stuff. You just get that feeling that you have "outgrown" the bike.

Sorry didn't mean to derail. Was curious. And also thought might help with the suggestions.

I had a couple of the 650b anthems and thought they were great until I got a 29er Tallboy and couldn't believe how much faster I was up and down with much less effort. The pedal bob of that anthem is quite bad unless you pump the shock to the point it wants to pop but that makes the ride uncomfortable and not so great through technical spots. Going from that to the scott will most certainly make a huge difference.

Head angle I am finding a little to steep. The 100mm front and back makes for a bumpy ride especially with constant roots and brake bumbs. Varying tyre pressures and susp. pressures/setup. Yes it is a very playful and lively bike especially on the smooth stuff. You just get that feeling that you have "outgrown" the bike.

You won't get away from the pedal feedback with a vpp / maestro design. The front you can sort out with a longer fork which will also slacken head angle

But it sounds like you want a bike with a more playful character.

Of the two options you're presenting I can only comment that the Scott won't be much of an upgrade you can't achieve with a 120mm travel fork on the Anthem.

Maybe look at the new Trance 29, GT Sensor. TREK FUEL EX range of bikes.

Maybe also the Scott Genius

Wait for new Merida 120 2019.

It's getting very good reviews.

Mid Spec bike should be about 40K.

New Scott 2019 is also launching this week end.

Scott bikes are cheap NOW but beware they could be demo's sold as new.

Archived